Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Theo selection could either be a hit or a miss. I;m hoping for a hit.
    I'm not happy with the selection of only 4 strikers, 2 of which are still injured. By the way, why was Owen not playing on the weekend? Another setback or what???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    well hargreaves can play the holding role, while i dont think nolan can. Hargreaves is much more tactically aware, and the fact he can play in so many positions is very useful. He's also been playing well with a top side like Bayern, and has CL and big tournament experience.
    I'm sure every manager would like to have a Hargreaves on the bench because if you have a player injured, he can come on in the middle/left and keep the ball and pass. That's about it, nothing special. Maybe Sven should have played Nolan in a few friendlies to see what he's capable of.
    Nolan would'nt have been used as a holding player anyway, he plays in the type of position Lampard or Gerrard at club level.

I just figured this, Owen Hargreaves is the perfect German player!

ReputationRep:
    if we get as far as the Germans :p: i suppose he could be our secret squirrel and interpret their master tactics?

ReputationRep:
    The classic world cup 98 game line!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    I'm sure every manager would like to have a Hargreaves on the bench because if you have a player injured, he can come on in the middle/left and keep the ball and pass. That's about it, nothing special. Maybe Sven should have played Nolan in a few friendlies to see what he's capable of.
    Nolan would'nt have been used as a holding player anyway, he plays in the type of position Lampard or Gerrard at club level.

I just figured this, Owen Hargreaves is the perfect German player!
    yes he's a solid, unspecatacular player but sometimes you need players like that. england have had trouble retaining possesion when Gerrard and Lampard play so as you say he can keep the ball and pass.

I know Nolan wouldn't have been used as a holding player. Perhaps he isnt being taken because Sven has enough attacking central midfielders, while he doesnt have an abundance of defensive midfielders which would explain hargreaves' inclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    if we get as far as the Germans :p: i suppose he could be our secret squirrel and interpret their master tactics?
    Our very own Enigma machine, mind you sometime he's a bit of an Engima himself :p:

(Original post by sarforaz)
    yes he's a solid, unspecatacular player but sometimes you need players like that. england have had trouble retaining possesion when Gerrard and Lampard play so as you say he can keep the ball and pass.
    True, although a fit Ledley King would have been ahead of him in the pecking order as was the case in Euro 2004.

To be fair, rather Hargreaves than Jenas.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Eto'o might be coming to England because of the racism in Spain. Now that would be worrying for the rest of the Premiership if Chelsea signed Eto'o.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe read the whole thread idiot. It's only the l'Arse fans who think Sven has made the right choice. What I fight more pathetic is all of you who can't justify why he's being picked when you've never seen him play at top level.

It's also funny when you're calling everyone an idiot because they don't agree with you...haha.

idiot
    Actually I dont think anyone has said Walcott should be in ahead of Bent and certainly not any Arsenal fans.

idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Actually I dont think anyone has said Walcott should be in ahead of Bent and certainly not any Arsenal fans.

idiot
    "So all in all its not really THAT surprising and all the ***** who have come on here slating Sven are talking *******s."

huh you're backing Sven's selection and you think everyone is talking ****, which means you agree with it. and on top of, you think he should be ahead of Defoe. Are you sure the sport you watch is Football and not the 100m sprint race. Probably the last time i'll ask, third time this is, but you cannot justify him being on the squad.

idiot.

ReputationRep:
    "So all in all its not really THAT surprising and all the ***** who have come on here slating Sven are talking *******s."

huh you're backing Sven's selection and you think everyone is talking ****, which means you agree with it. and on top of, you think he should be ahead of Defoe. Are you sure the sport you watch is Football and not the 100m sprint race. Probably the last time i'll ask, third time this is, but you cannot justify him being on the squad.

idiot.
    Well I agree with most aspects of the squad. People seem to think the setup would change completely. Defoe? Soo overrated. Over 40 appearances this year, under 10 goals? Maybe if he was scoring consistently he would play more than half a game.

He is in the squad because he is an exciting young talent and he isnt displacing any world class players. I havent seen him extensively no but I can assure you the person who has been following him the closest recently will be Sven. I trust Sven's judgement, he has done a phenominal job for England. Only three competitve losses in normal time, 1 to a fluke goal, 1 we handed to the opposition and one in a qualifier.

ReputationRep:
    Who says he'd go to Chelsea? Eto'o has said on numerous occasions how much he hates Chelsea. If he went anywhere, it would probably be Arsenal in a swap deal for Thierry
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Preston and Leeds right now 2 players just had a shoving match in the box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I trust Sven's judgement, he has done a phenominal job for England. Only three competitve losses in normal time, 1 to a fluke goal, 1 we handed to the opposition and one in a qualifier.
    Can't help but wonder what a Wenger would have done with England.

Defoe? Soo overrated. Over 40 appearances this year, under 10 goals? Maybe if he was scoring consistently he would play more than half a game.
    Not really overrated, he has been below Bent and Crouch in terms of hype and discusssion. But seriously though, 50 goals in 3 seasons (and mainly awesome ones at that) is not overrated. This season he's been limited to 9 goals in 24 starts but thats because Jol wanted him to play a more all-round game. He has 5 assists this season, which corroborates that. Defoe would tell you he's had an average season by his high standards. 98 career goals in 174 carrer starts. Also 1 goal in 3 England starts. Do you remember that goal against Poland? or the one against Arsenal last season, or the numerous other fantastic goals? Wenger himself said he made a mistake not signing him- do you trust his opinion?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My tutor is very happy about it he regularly goes to the games, I am pleased to see Bedford Town got promoted.

ReputationRep:
    Eto'o and Drogba on the same team? a big no no. I can see him at Man utd.

ReputationRep:
    No way. In the last few years, and probably in the years to come, no player that is actually wanted by Chelsea has escaped their grasp and gone to another English Club. (An exception that could be used would be Gerrard turing them down for Liverpool buts that kind of different IMO)

1. Chelsea will offer Barca £60 million for him
    2. Then they'll offer Eto'o some stupid amount of money a year
    3. Neither will be able to resist.

....Eto'o --> Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    He is premiership quality but simply not world cup quality, neither is Bent or Crouch but Crouch offers something different. I can see Sven wacking only 1 upfront anyway with Gerrard in a more advanced role if Rooney isnt fit so we dont desperatly need more than 4 strikers.

ReputationRep:
    Theo Walcott chose a different team, and look where he's going this Summer

ReputationRep:
    Remember the 2002 Cameroon-England friendly when he dedicated a nutmeg on Campbell to Spurs fans lol! we were rumoured to be signing him but couldnt afford the fee because of the shared ownership between Mallorca and Real Madrid. Most likely to go Chelsea if you ask me.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.