The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
SFC forever, my lack of knowledge on Walcott is embarrassing (thats with two a's and one e), i was using his lack of reputation as a national player to emphasise the risk of Sven's choice. Understand? And as CalderstonesLFC rightly pointed out, not having a minute of top flight football and being included in the world cup squad is embarrassing.

Over-rated, obviously by sven. As i outlined rooney and owen are both injured, he is over-rated by both sven and the general public and a lot of liverpool supporters (there is no real suprise that the people who watch him every week rate him, they support him, they are more inclined to have belief in his ability than anyone else). Even though Crouch is over-rated by Sven i think the reception he recieved at The Theatre of Dreams, which resulted in booing showed that there are still those sceptical of his abilities as a national player.

Having said that, the alternative argument is who else do we have. I hope Crouch proves me wrong and plays well, i'm not going to be short-sited, he often plays well for liverpool and has had experience in the national side, i am just questioning if he has the ability to lead our strike force in the WC, cause if we havent got rooney or owen, got help us if its Walcott.
Power cut now lol
I heard Shevchenko had trials at Watford and West Ham when he was a kid but neither signed him because he was too short, and apparently Andres D'alessandro had trials with Tottenham or a similar team but they didn't sign him for the same reasons
Reply 2743
Hi i am getting togher a sunday league team next year and i am looking for some players in all positions. i know there are alot of good players in uni so it the best place to tell people about it so if anyone is interested please contcat me martin by email at [email protected] and i will give you all the info were we train and what league we are going into thanks you can call me on 0151 236 6065 between the times of 7am to 6pm
I think that the inclusion of Walcott is a big gamble, but then again, taking Rooney is a gamble, and to a certain extent, so is taking Owen. They may have proven themselves on the world stage, with Rooney at least being world class, and Owen being an England regular. However, far from being fully fit means that they are no way going to be able to perform the way everyone expects them to.

At least with Theo, he will be able to perform, he has got incredible talent, and being the under-dog and 'wild card' may benefit him.

Defoe cannot even get a place in the Spurs first 11, and Bent? I mean come on!

I think some are forgetting that we do have Joe Cole and Stevie G. They might not be out and out strikers but they can finish well. With Crouch up top I think England fans should be in for some route 1 football!
Economist
He is premiership quality but simply not world cup quality, neither is Bent or Crouch but Crouch offers something different. I can see Sven wacking only 1 upfront anyway with Gerrard in a more advanced role if Rooney isnt fit so we dont desperatly need more than 4 strikers.

Defoe is Premiership quality but not WC quality... Same as Bent or Crouch, how do you know they're not WC quality when they've never played in one? We don't know if Walcott is Premiership quality let alone World Cup quality.

imo Defoe is good enough, just a shame he won't be able to prove it. 3 starts and 1 top quality goal and Sven dumps him.
Reply 2746
mancred
Over-rated, obviously by sven. As i outlined rooney and owen are both injured, he is over-rated by both sven and the general public and a lot of liverpool supporters (there is no real suprise that the people who watch him every week rate him, they support him, they are more inclined to have belief in his ability than anyone else). Even though Crouch is over-rated by Sven i think the reception he recieved at The Theatre of Dreams, which resulted in booing showed that there are still those sceptical of his abilities as a national player.

Coherent.

mancred
Having said that, the alternative argument is who else do we have. I hope Crouch proves me wrong and plays well, i'm not going to be short-sited, he often plays well for liverpool and has had experience in the national side, i am just questioning if he has the ability to lead our strike force in the WC, cause if we havent got rooney or owen, got help us if its Walcott.

I seem to remember him playing in the summer friendlies, setting up a hat trick for Owen. I also seem to remember him coming on against Uruguay to set up one, and score the other. He also instigated our (perhaps undeserved) revival against Argentina, where his introduction stretched and pulled their defense apart. Enough of this he's not good enough for the national side *******s. The Manc ****s who booed him can **** right off (and he eventually got his revenge regardless).

A two-time La Liga, UEFA Cup & European Cup winning manager rates him. A national coach who had won Leagues in 3 different counties, and has made it in Europe, does too for that matter. As do his very supporters, who recognise his heart and value.
Gerry Francis, while at Spurs, watched Zidane for Bordeaux and said he was 'wooden'. Also Man city had the chance of signing Figo for a million quid or so when he was 20-ish. I think it may have been Wenger that thought Paul Robinson was too fat (correct me if I'm wrong).
Reply 2748
Powestation in Preston has gone down :biggrin:
Yeah, Arse could have had Robinson, but then so could liverpool, **** Utd or any team really. Just so happens Tottenham had the presence of mind to realise what a top player he is.
Reply 2750
It just occured to me that Sven is going to take big gambles because he simply doesn't care about the consequences. What will the FA do if he goes out in the first round, sack him? He's going to try every chances to win the world cup or it could just be a payback against the british media.
David Pleat realised he was a good keeper, got him for a bargain 2m. He also got us Defoe and Keane, also bargains at 6m each. Lots of Spurs fans forget what a knowledgable bloke he was.
Klinsmannic
Walcott was probably having his nappy changed when Sven phoned him up :rolleyes:
Doing his driving theory test, actually.
Klinsmannic
Defoe is Premiership quality but not WC quality... Same as Bent or Crouch, how do you know they're not WC quality when they've never played in one? We don't know if Walcott is Premiership quality let alone World Cup quality.

imo Defoe is good enough, just a shame he won't be able to prove it. 3 starts and 1 top quality goal and Sven dumps him.

I havent played in a WC? Can have a go? Doesnt work like that. Im not saying Walcott is premiership quality either, we just have to assume Sven has done his homework.

Sven dumps him? 15 appearances, perhaps he would have had a better chance without Owen or Rooney but still dont think he is up to it
Reply 2754
'Set up a hatrick', 'set up one', 'instigated', well done, he is doing things i would expect a striker being paid thousands to do, as for your defensive stance, 'Enough of this he's not good enough', well there is a reason for people saying it, we are not just having a laugh!

Your little jibe at mancs, that only highlights your ignorance, especially when the song 'you can stick your ****** england up your a***' is sung at old trafford. Mancs dont tend to go to that many england games. Always looking for a way to blame united, on an england thread!

As i said i hope i'm proved wrong, and i dont want to come out this post looking as if i dont rate crouch, i'm saying that he is not good enough to be our prominent striker (which at the moment is possible due to injury).
mancred
Owen is currently injured, a major doubt, rooney, even more of a doubt, which means england will be relying on crouch and walcott. Crouch is an overpriced and overrated player, he played relatively well at southampton and still hasn't done much at liverpool to warrent a prominent place in the WC squad. And Walcott, who? He is a good player but as Bobby Robson said, too much of a risk, joke sven a joke.

Owen a major doubt???

From Sven..."I think Michael Owen will be fully 100% fit to train with us from Monday.'' Being 100% over 4 weeks before the start doesnt go down as a 'major doubt' in my book

It appears Sven was even going to go with just 3 strikers and with his comments he could well play 4 3 3(Two wingers) or 4 5 1
Crouch offers something different, his presence is enough to put defenders off. Has done very well when came off the bench in the last two games.
Someones doing something right. The way things are going, half the England team at the World Cup '10 is going to be Tottenham players. Robinson, Huddlestone, Dawson, Carrick, Lennon, Defoe
Interesting comment from Sven regarding Walcott...

''In the end we thought we'd take a gamble and leave out one defender and put him in. I'm excited to work with him.'

That would suggest he wasnt going to take Bent or Defoe anyway and he also comments that 4 3 3(two wingers) or 4 5 1 are possible options
Reply 2759
Yawn. The moment you claimed he was "over-rated", your post lost credence. Enough of the cross-club sniping, am not in the mood.

The 4 times he's played in an england shirt, he's been an integral part. Much more than I can say for Bent, Defoe, AJ etc. Crouch has his restrictions as a player, but also offers something very different from the Rooneys, Owens, Bents of this world. He's clearly made of something special, or he would not have made it at Liverpool. Crouch has shouldered his criticism, and performed on the biggest stages. That is reason enough to take him to Germany, and it's a massive inditement of England fans that he is not well received as another 'option'.

Latest