Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously saying Crouch unsettles people because of his presence? And do you mean because he is pointlessly tall?

I seriously think Beattie/Bent should have been taken anyway, Crouch or no Crouch.

Cannot believe Beattie has missed out.

(Original post by RobbieC)
    Are you seriously saying Crouch unsettles people because of his presence? And do you mean because he is pointlessly tall?

I seriously think Beattie/Bent should have been taken anyway, Crouch or no Crouch.

Cannot believe Beattie has missed out.
    We will sorely miss Rooney, there's no disputing that, but there are other opportunities to be taken.

If we're to have players who can strike as good a ball as Beckham, Gerrard, Carrick, Lampard etc, we might as well have target to capitalise on that. There is no better striker England possesses to link attack and midfield; the best European teams play as units. Lampard, Gerrard and Joe Cole should benefit from playing 'through' Crouch, facilitated by a less congested 'central' area (what with Rooney's absence).

ReputationRep:
    Well in Sven. About to go out with a bang, just made the WC so much more interesting !

ReputationRep:
    Shouldve cut his losses on Rooney and gone for Owen, Bent, Crouch and Defoe IMO. Keep Downing in and maybe use Joe Cole further forward if needed as well.

ReputationRep:
    rainy, 'cross-club sniping, not in the mood', (i've said nothing in regard to clubs) well next time dont use the phrase 'manc c***s', whether your relatively intelligent or downright stupid you must classify that as 'cross-club sniping'.

Anyway, i've had enough of you, anyone else on Sven and the striker situation.

I agree with kpg that Joe cole should play further forward, when he gets forward in the league he plays very well.

ReputationRep:
    I can see the point of packing the midfield, without Owen and Rooney England don't have an international striker worthy of the name, but the prospect of starting with Crouch and Theo 'who the ****?' Walcott fills me with dread. What has Walcott actually done? I recall a handful of reserve team games for Arsenal and nothing else.

Perhaps the boss has decided that a genuine, category A cluster**** is preferable to an impotent, dribbling exit on penalties. Perhaps he's right.

Oh, and can some altruistic soul please burn Owen Hargreaves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    As another has sagely observed "Sorry Darren, your 22 goals this season were not quite as impressive as Walcott's 3 reserve team appearances for Arsenal".
    or Darren Bent played about as well as Ricketts did on his debut for England?

lets face it, Bent is obviously a decent striker at premiership level but will he be able to do anything on the world stage? that something special thats needed. I doubt it, but Sven obviously see's something in Walcott as did Wenger when he splashed the cash. got to have something about him hasn't he?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that Owen will be fit by the world cup. At least I hope he will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    rainy, 'cross-club sniping, not in the mood', (i've said nothing in regard to clubs) well next time dont use the phrase 'manc c***s', whether your relatively intelligent or downright stupid you must classify that as 'cross-club sniping'.

Anyway, i've had enough of you, anyone else on Sven and the striker situation.

I agree with kpg that Joe cole should play further forward, when he gets forward in the league he plays very well.
    Behave mate, you're a bunch of manc ****s. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    ^ St Albans & Histon through. I odn't know too much about Histon so can't comment.

I've been to St Albans City a few times. Good support with a shambles of a stadium and pitch. Its quite big (for non-league), but dillapidated. They have always been threatning to get promoted for many seasons from the Ryman Premier. They automatically got promoted from the Ryman to Conference North due to the restructure. Then got promoted again (yesterday). Conference football is where they should belong. They have been fighting it for many years now.

St Albans' ground is pretty shabby tbh, been there a few times. In other news according to the non league paper, Gazza could be our next manager. shambles

ReputationRep:
    Of course, football is simple businnes now and for sure, it has lost his soul.

All is about money !

ReputationRep:
    It's driving me mad - what is the name of the song (tune) that is played when the players come out at Newcastle?

I need to know!!! Rep for whoever can help me :confused: :confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bosman ruling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    or Darren Bent played about as well as Ricketts did on his debut for England?

lets face it, Bent is obviously a decent striker at premiership level but will he be able to do anything on the world stage? that something special thats needed. I doubt it, but Sven obviously see's something in Walcott as did Wenger when he splashed the cash. got to have something about him hasn't he?
    Exactly, and that sums up the whole argument. Why not take a risk, its better than taking the usual dross. (I suspect most on here would have been pleased if Heskey was included). With all the slating, will none of you be cheering on England now, Will you be in Germany?

The squad is chosen, nothing anyone can do about it. Stop moaning and slating players before they have had a chance Walcott is hardly that bad is he?. It's the typical english way, and makes me cringe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Over-rated by who? The whole london media hate him, the only gratitude he gets is from his own fans. Who are funny enough, the only people who watch him every week.
    To be fair though, and I have seen Crouch play numerous times, do you really think he is WC standard? I just don't understand how you can slate Walcott's inclusion, and then say how great it is for Crouch to be there.

If Walcott was a Liverpool player, I think you may well have a different opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFC_FOREVER!)
    Exactly, and that sums up the whole argument. Why not take a risk, its better than taking the usual dross. (I suspect most on here would have been pleased if Heskey was included). With all the slating, will none of you be cheering on England now, having tantrums? Will you be in Germany?

The squad is chosen, stop ****ing moaning and slating players before they have had a chance. Typical english. And you want to know why we never win anything?

Get behind the ****ing team, you bunch of moaners. Anyone would think you have had to endure a season like I have.

Leading on from this , who on earth do you people think u are to question the judgement of Arsne wenger. Do you think he is making this suggestion to sven on the basis of nothin?, the man has seen countless talents through, and didnt he make a similar suggestion about ashley cole a few years ago for the england team?!!?

Has it occured to any of u that walcott might be in the squad to add that excitment and lift up to the team that Rooney managed. Im not sure about u bt i can't f****** wait to see Walcott in action

Finally, the low number of strikers suggests does it not that Sven may be considerin J.cole or Gerrard in the hole?. i do apologize to ne1 who has achieved the success that Ericksson has, bt for the rest of u moanin t***ers stop critisizin

ReputationRep:
    Walcott isn't being slated.

Sven is.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel Sven has picked Walcott as more of an impact inclusion, knowing the success of Owen and Rooney in years gone by?

Ok, Bent, has had a good season. But I just dont feel this makes him WC standard. Look at Beattie a few years ago for Saints. He did exactly the same thing, had a few good seasons. But he was never England quality.

Defoe was very unlucky I feel, and should have been ahead of Johnson and Bent in the pecking order.

Basically, maybe Errikson thought Bent would bring the same old thing, one good season, not much else. He may well think Walcott will bring excitment, raw talent and youth playing without fear. The foreign defenders won't know much about him thats for sure. It just brings that added sense of surprise.

Please note this is not another "why he should/should'nt pick a player, just interested to see others views on why Errikson went for Walcott.

I have given my view..

ReputationRep:
    I must admit that I have not seen much of them but what are people opinions on

Patrick Evra and Vidic! are they really what they were built up to be and deserved theprice tag.

I have seen glimces of Vidic but Patrick Evra seems to better than a 35 year old Dennis Irwin who can run quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFC_FOREVER!)
    To be fair though, and I have seen Crouch play numerous times, do you really think he is WC standard? I just don't understand how you can slate Walcott's inclusion, and then say how great it is for Crouch to be there.

If Walcott was a Liverpool player, I think you may well have a different opinion.
    Do i think crouch is WC standard..Yes. His contribution to his 4 england games so far has been outstanding. You cant knock the lads performances for england, okay so he is an ugly sod.. but so is rooney. Crouch gets the boo boys, because hes an easy target. Crouch is a different option, something no one else in the english set up can provide so he deserves to go.
    How can i slate walcotts inclusion...right ive told you before. Ill tell you one more time..Walcott is unproven at the top level, he hasnt played a single second against at the top level of english football. He is being judged by his performances in arsenal reserves and a few run outs in the championship.. and lets be honest..The quality of the champions is crap. You only need to look at sunderland to realise. Yes, Pele Ronaldo Rooney etc were all introduced to the big stage at the age of 17 but i can guarantee you none of them had absolutely no top flight experience at all.
    Walcott is being catapulted from lower league obscurity, to the world cup finals without a single game under his belt. When the lad gets out onto the pitch.. he is going to bloody crap himself.
    And if he played for liverpool, and had no games under his belt still.. id share the same opinion.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.