Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seeg)
    Rubbish. Football used to be a game where a family could head out and enjoy it. It used to be a good day for the masses.

How can a family afford £35 x 2 + £20 x 2 (for 2 adults and 2 kids).
    Its no longer about passion and support. Look at Chelsea or any one of a number of Premiership clubs.
    When they score, rather than getting fans go wild with excitement (as I was at Halifax 3 - 0 up today), but instead clap like dead dodos.

I experienced today what I feel many people in the premiership miss out. 3-0 up in a playoff semi final, only to have 2 goals conceded in the seconds half. It was full of raw emotions and gritty determination to win. Scoring was relief, not a chance to politely clap like one would at a horse riding show.

Football is fast losing its passion! The ridiculous prices and lack of loyaly are only helping this. Football should be enjoyed at the stadium, not on the TV. How many people will watch the Middlesborough final this week claiming to be Middlesborough fans, but not have even looked into going to the final?
    So all boro fans are not real fans unless they take a day or so off work and travel to holland for the final whilst forking out sh*tloads in doing so?

ReputationRep:
    Could be 'Cry me a River' but don't quote me on that

ReputationRep:
    David Dein has the FA and the Prem in his pocket, but then again Arsenal have had that since 1919 :rolleyes: . Was Peter Scudamore at Highbury during the food poisoning affair? hmmm i wonder...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    I think a salary cap would be the right way forward, but not a set limit for each and every club. I dont agree that well run teams such as Liverpool,Arsenal and Man united should be punished by having their wage limit structured to the same way as wigans,newcastles etc.
    A much more fair way, would be to fix wage levels at a % of the clubs revenue. This will also help the clubs from over-spending, and sinking the club.
    I think any salary cap in football would only be as a % of the clubs revenue and not a fixed amount as that wouldn't work.

I think clubs are taking to the idea of offering contracts based more on performance bonuses than a fixed amount. It'l make the quality of footy alot better as their will be a bigger financial incentive to perform. There are too many players on champagne salaries who don't perform and thats a waste of fans money. Domestically think of boro in the league and their wage bill must be sky high

ReputationRep:
    I want a Boro vs Barca Super Cup

ReputationRep:
    The FA is full of a bunch of hopeless clowns!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Sven has never seen Walcott play lol...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/4752671.stm.
    He says he's seen numerous 'tapes' on him playing

You were the one that said Defoe wasn't WC standard which is why I wondered how how you could tell seeing as a lot of players have never played in one either.

15 appearances, more like 3 starts. We all know you can't do anything as a sub in Sven's friendlies.
    So if you havent been tested at WC level no-one can say you are not world class? Simple theory would dictate that if Defoe was only average in the prem he isnt world class

ReputationRep:
    David Dein has the FA and the Prem in his pocket, but then again Arsenal have had that since 1919 :rolleyes: . Was Peter Scudamore at Highbury during the food poisoning affair? hmmm i wonder...
    Funny how refs are always bias against us isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Funny how refs are always bias against us isnt it?
    Funny how everyone says that...

Did you see Campbell's assault on Roberts at Highbury on Sunday? Arsenal can also say they are one of few clubs who have changed a referees penalty decision (vs Fulham).

Most of the time Arsenal get what they deserve from refs. When Cole and Pires are diving all over the place surely a ref is going to be in two minds at giving pens. You also have violent tendencies: Bergkamp, Campbell, Keown, Vieira...that whole Old Trafford RVN thing was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly its all going to be one big champagne arena. What annoys me is the way arsenal have boasted about how the matchday revenue from the emirates will be the highest in the world - in other words 'we're going to milk the most money from our fans per matchday in the world'.

ReputationRep:
    He says he's seen numerous 'tapes' on him playing

So if you havent been tested at WC level no-one can say you are not world class? Simple theory would dictate that if Defoe was only average in the prem he isnt world class
    well, at least thats more than the Gooners have seen him :rolleyes: ...

No one said Defoe is world class and you don't have to be world class to play at the world cup, you're the only one that seems to be saying so. You said you wouldn't drop Walcott for anyone who wasn't world class. There are other average Premiership players who are going to the WC, some of them have never played in one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to this game as I applied through Uefa.com in the neutrals section a few months back, hoping for at least an exciting game.

Not sure who's going to win it, Seville might just edge it, although I think a team who beats Man U 4-1 and Chelsea 3-0 has definitely got a chance. Depends which Boro turns up I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how everyone says that...

Did you see Campbell's assault on Roberts at Highbury on Sunday? Arsenal can also say they are one of few clubs who have changed a referees penalty decision (vs Fulham)..
    Changed the decision so that it was correct.

Most of the time Arsenal get what they deserve from refs. When Cole and Pires are diving all over the place surely a ref is going to be in two minds at giving pens. You also have violent tendencies: Bergkamp, Campbell, Keown, Vieira...that whole Old Trafford RVN thing was horrible.
    Violent tendancies, occasionally but it isnt like we ever get away with it. Got punished for the OT incident. RVN deserves everything he gets imo, I remember that viscious kick on Cole, disgraceful, should have been off. And how Sol got sending off because Solkjear ran into his elbow?

ReputationRep:
    Robinson, James, Green...3

G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Campbell, Carragher, Bridge...7

Beckham, Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Jenas, Downing, J Cole, Lennon...9

Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Walcott...4

Standby players
    Defoe, Carson, Re-Coker, A Johnson, Young
    I think John Terry is crap!

ReputationRep:
    well, at least thats more than the Gooners have seen him :rolleyes: ...

No one said Defoe is world class and you don't have to be world class to play at the world cup, you're the only one that seems to be saying so. You said you wouldn't drop Walcott for anyone who wasn't world class. There are other average Premiership players who are going to the WC, some of them have never played in one.
    Well if we want to have a realistic chance you need to have world class players and on the whole we have. The only positions in which I would say we dont have world class players is at right back and left midfield. I agree you dont have to be world class to play for Togo but last time I checked Defoe was English and England are 2/3rd favourites

ReputationRep:
    Changed the decision so that it was correct.

Violent tendancies, occasionally but it isnt like we ever get away with it. Got punished for the OT incident. RVN deserves everything he gets imo, I remember that viscious kick on Cole, disgraceful, should have been off. And how Sol got sending off because Solkjear ran into his elbow?
    You havn't really explained how refs have been against you any more than every other club. If anything, you've admitted refs have been doing their jobs properly by punishing your offences and correcting their own decisions. Making facial contact with an elbow, unintentionally or otherwise, leaves the referee with no choice but to show a red these days.

ReputationRep:
    Well if we want to have a realistic chance you need to have world class players and on the whole we have. The only positions in which I would say we dont have world class players is at right back and left midfield. I agree you dont have to be world class to play for Togo but last time I checked Defoe was English and England are 2/3rd favourites
    Nobody mentioned Defoe in the contest of the first XI, this is a discussion about the squad. You're not suggesting that all members of the 23-man squad are or should be world-class are you? Defoe is never going to be ahead of Rooney and Owen, nobody has suggested that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOfTheSuperSubSquad)
    I think John Terry is crap!
    Please tell me your joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFC_FOREVER!)
    Please tell me your joking.
    I think the person's rep and warning levels speak volumes in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    You havn't really explained how refs have been against you any more than every other club. If anything, you've admitted refs have been doing their jobs properly by punishing your offences and correcting their own decisions. Making facial contact with an elbow, unintentionally or otherwise, leaves the referee with no choice but to show a red these days.
    LOL, he didnt even know he was there

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.