The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
GeneralOfTheSuperSubSquad
I think John Terry is crap!

you might be on your own there
Economist
LOL, he didnt even know he was there

That doesn't matter, besides only Sol knows if he meant it or not. You're the ref, and you see Campbell shielding the ball when all of a sudden you see contact between elbow and player, with Solskjaer going to ground clutching his face. It doesn't take an overly bright ref to link that sequence of events with the 'violent conduct' law. The ref isn't to know if there is any malice involved, therefore his red-card is vindicated. Look at it the other way, if the ref had seen what happened but not done anything he would probably have got reported by the referee's monitor in the stands, it's happened before.
Hope so, that's if the manager decides to pick them over an unproven batch of 17 year olds. King and Jenas will be under 30 also
Sven has picked a squad of 23 players. Does anyone seriously think all 23 players will step foot on the field? The lad is 17 now, next EC he will be 19 next WC, 21. It looks very likely he will be a member of the England setup then. So is 19 too young for his first tournament? Is 21? Take him now and he gets to see all the backroom scenes of the World Cup. He'll train with the best players in the countries, see what the prepartions are and feel the atmosphere inside the stadium on matchday. He'll develop links with the other players in a way friendlies and qualifiers cannot reproduce and get to know the England staff. We've been robbed of our golden boy, the one who would inject pace and passion into our game. Now we've got another one and he'll boost morale without even stepping foot into the side. The inclusion of Walcott provides benefits for both now and for the future, is the loss of Bent or Defoe really that big a price?
Leeds played well apart from the dirty tackles...how many was it booked?! Heard that Ormerod has broken his leg, the keeper nearly had a broken cheekbone and Leeds ended with 9 men.
Blackwell doing his usual thing copying Warnock and moaning at the referee. :biggrin:

Gem
JamesR
This is going to be a biased view since I am a Leeds fan. What a great match at Preston we win 2-0. I think most likely we will play against Watford, and should win and back in premiership where we belong

No team belongs in the premiership though. :rolleyes:

Gem
I'm feeling reinvigorated this morning, I'm predicting a 4-1 win for Palace, leading us into extra time and us winning on penalties. WOOHOO!
Reply 2827
I agree with the cat thingy
Reply 2828
marching on together!!! :biggrin:
It's a lame attempt to compensate for Rooney.

Why no SWP either?
Reply 2830
SWP hasn't played enough first team football and their is plenty of good mids in his place whereas theo is an exception having not played much himself but must be a star in waiting.
Reply 2831
Economist
Changed the decision so that it was correct.

Violent tendancies, occasionally but it isnt like we ever get away with it. Got punished for the OT incident. RVN deserves everything he gets imo, I remember that viscious kick on Cole, disgraceful, should have been off. And how Sol got sending off because Solkjear ran into his elbow?
I remember an interview with Pires some time after the OT incident (disgraceful behaviour btw. I lost a lot of respect for Keown for his acting like an ape in that game) where he said the Arsenal squad got a psychological boost from the meagre fines etc that they got from that game. I think he actually said they felt like they "got away with it", but i might just be imagining that
Who said Owen's a major doubt?
Reply 2833
Fusion
SWP hasn't played enough first team football and their is plenty of good mids in his place whereas theo is an exception having not played much himself but must be a star in waiting.

Great logic. Theo is an exception because a club paid a big fee for him but it doesnt matter if he hasn't even played a single minute, all that matters is that Wenger thinks he is CURRENTLY good enough for Arsenal reserves, to that must mean he deserves to be rewarded with a world cup place. :confused:

Theres no point taking him on an 'educational role' when there are severe doubts over Rooney's fitness and Owen's match sharpness. Not to mention Crouch, being Peter Crouch (potentially good but hated by most of the england fanbase). And he isnt just one member in 23, he is one member of a 4-man strike force (unless Cole is used upfront) and that seems ludicrous for someone who has never played a minute of top flight football. If England had taken just one of Hargreaves or Jenas and another striker it wouldn't have been a bad thing but Sven is putting a major gamble on Owen and Crouch to fire.

I hope the lad does well and all that because it's nothing against him.
Reply 2834
SFC_FOREVER!
To be fair though, and I have seen Crouch play numerous times, do you really think he is WC standard? I just don't understand how you can slate Walcott's inclusion, and then say how great it is for Crouch to be there.

Because Crouch has played in the premiership, fa cup and european cup on a regular basis this season. He's been seen to be an integral part of a team that has finished 3rd in the league. It doesnt make him god's gift to the earth but then again he has a bit of experience and he has done alright in the england games that he has played. Wallcot has not played a single minute of top flight football, that's the argument, not his talent.

This "WC standard" line is *******s. It means nothing. Nor does the club alleigance, someone mentioned that Fowler should be in the squad and I dismissed it straight away so that's meaningless.
Reply 2835
Sven has turned risk taker and it'll make or break him but at least it adds to the excitement
Reply 2836
jusfarhan
Who said Owen's a major doubt?

sven wouldn't allow him to play in a flippin testimonial game tonight so all is not as well on the owen front
After some rather more sober reflection than i was capable of yesterday i have to say ive actually come around to quite respecting Svens choices (Hargreaves and Jenas aside, both of whom are inexcusable) and feel rather excited at the prospect of seeing how it all pans out. I still think it was a mistake not to take a fit (i.e. not Owen or Rooney) decent (i.e. not Crouch) striker such as Defoe or Bent but beyond that i think the squad is ok - im especially delighted that he listened to everyone for once and chose Lennon and Downing - two players i thought wouldnt make it despite being totally deserving.
Reply 2838
sven is a clown, i dont understand why he doesnt take defo instead.
Looks like tickets which were nicked in the raided postal van in liverpool won't get to go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4754319.stm

The weird thing there though, is that even with each side being given a measly 24,436 tickets each, who exactly at the FA is getting the other 25,000 tickets?

I thought I heard a month or so back that the FA were complaining to FIFA about the ticketing arrangements for the england games at the world cup, but this makes it look like they're complete hypocrites.

This post could easily belong in the "what's wrong with football" thread, but the ineptness of the FA on this issue needed highlighting in my opinion.

Latest