The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
kpg
There are a couple of points. Firstly, he's only 30, he's not that old. Secondly, his goal record since leaving us has been about 1 in 3, to say that's not bad for someone who's been injured a lot is an under-statement. And finally, the transfer really has no risk in it. There is a lost of hysteria at the moment, return of the prodigal son etc. but sentiment would have played no part in Rafa's decision to sign him and given the fee (nothing) and the low pages (~20kp/w) plus a 6 month contract, there is no risk involved. He could score goals and go out in a blaze or play a bit here and there, look out of his depth and be helped on his way elsewhere like Pellegrino without much damage done.

It could turn out to be a very shrewd buy.

Did i say he was old? He's clearly not the player he once was, so i dont see why everyone is getting so excited about it. He's barely managed a handful of goals each season for the past 5 or 6 years. Added to the fact that he is very injury prone and that Liverpool have 4 (5 if you count garcia) strikers at their disposal, i dont imagine he will be that useful to them. I accept that there was no risk involved, but what was all that talk from Rafa at the beginning of the season saying he didnt need a striker. I bet he wishes he bought owen now.
Reply 301
ba_ba1
I bet he wishes he bought owen now.
Probably, but not for £17mil
calderstonesLFC
Thanks mate :biggrin:

Still want the vid though.. :frown:

Grr.
Reply 303
What do u reckon the chances of him at least being on the bench for the Bham game are? (i'm goin to the game, so it would make my year Rafa!!!)
ba_ba1
Did i say he was old? He's clearly not the player he once was, so i dont see why everyone is getting so excited about it. He's barely managed a handful of goals each season for the past 5 or 6 years. Added to the fact that he is very injury prone and that Liverpool have 4 (5 if you count garcia) strikers at their disposal, i dont imagine he will be that useful to them. I accept that there was no risk involved, but what was all that talk from Rafa at the beginning of the season saying he didnt need a striker. I bet he wishes he bought owen now.

He's barely managed a handful of goals... I understand your point looking at the fantastic service he got at Manchester City compared to absolutely no service at all at Liverpool. Let me guess what you are going to say.....
"If he's a good striker as you all say he is then he should score anyway".... Ok.... but what is he supposed to do?... Take the ball from David James and run the whole length of the pitch dancing past players and score then run back the full length of the pitch to celebrate in front of opposition fans?.... :rolleyes:
He'll shine once again, no doubt.
Reply 306
super_baros
He's barely managed a handful of goals... I understand your point looking at the fantastic service he got at Manchester City compared to absolutely no service at all at Liverpool. Let me guess what you are going to say.....
"If he's a good striker as you all say he is then he should score anyway".... Ok.... but what is he supposed to do?... Take the ball from David James and run the whole length of the pitch dancing past players and score then run back the full length of the pitch to celebrate in front of opposition fans?.... :rolleyes:

Thats a fair point. But good strikers have scored plenty of goals in poor teams.
His last couple of seasons at Liverpool were not very impressive either. He could be good (doubt it) but i suppose if he isnt, then there is no loss.
Reply 307
as a city fan i was a bit suprised to see him go but its not like we've lost our star striker. he was 3rd in the queue so its not the end of the world.

he'll be good for liverpool. he does get injured more and isnt as prolific as he once was but he'll definately pop up with a few goals and for free that equals a decent deal.
Reply 308
ba_ba1

Of course he does. That talk was total rubbish, he was dodging any question related to Owen. The fact that Owen had been talking to liverpool since August and had personal terms etc sorted out suggests the two parties were very much agreed but Liverpool didn't want to spend £16m on him.

If Fowler chips in with 5-10 goals from now till the end of the season it'll be an excellent buy, if not, no harm done.
Can someone supply me the goal against United? Anyone?? Pleasee! :eek:
Reply 310
He loves the club, Fowler's got His second chance, so He will act accordingly. Not exactly the fittest player on earth, both in terms of speed and conditioning, but do people really think he was bought with that in mind? In terms of shooting, first touch, positioning and close control, He's better than anything we have. A predator; something we're obviously missing. That's all beside the point. Think of the buzz that'll reverberate around the club. Will certainly boost revenue, interest and atmosphere. We need the experience too - the bloke's probably scored more goals in the Premiership than the rest of our squad combined! Yes I have my doubts, but the only party who can really lose out is the player Himself. Give Him His chance to pitch battle in his true resting ground, so that He can go down in a blaze of glory, eh? :wink:
Reply 311
Just the mere presence of the legend is good enough
Raindance
but do people really think he was bought with that in mind?

*ahem* Free transfer *ahem*.... :p:
Reply 313
apparently liverpool were considering signing ian rush as well, but he couldn't even run so they just brough in fowler to fill a few seats
esx77
apparently liverpool were considering signing ian rush as well, but he couldn't even run so they just brough in fowler to fill a few seats

Shut up you bitter little d***head whats your problem. The lad is the most natural english finisher in the league. He wasnt bought to 'fill seats' as anfield sells out every home game anyway. He was bought cos he is a better finisher than anyone else in the squad. a free transfer with low wages is sound. Everyone can continue to doubt him but i think hell hit at least 8 goals for liverpool now.
Reply 315
calderstonesLFC
Shut up you bitter little d***head whats your problem. The lad is the most natural english finisher in the league. He wasnt bought to 'fill seats' as anfield sells out every home game anyway. He was bought cos he is a better finisher than anyone else in the squad. a free transfer with low wages is sound. Everyone can continue to doubt him but i think hell hit at least 8 goals for liverpool now.

One things for sure, he will score more than Cisse, may not be as fast, but we got Pongolle for that.
peterunitt
One things for sure, he will score more than Cisse, may not be as fast, but we got Pongolle for that.

I will bet my life on it he finishes top goal scorer out of all of our strikers. Cisse is an arragant,lazy tit who is good for a average division one french side and nothing else!
Reply 317
calderstonesLFC
I will bet my life on it he finishes top goal scorer out of all of our strikers. Cisse is an arragant,lazy tit who is good for a average division one french side and nothing else!

I dont think top scorer, i reckon Gerrard personally, altho hopefully Fowler will get alot of goals.
Reply 318
calderstonesLFC

he WAS the player you describe there

so good he was released on a free and hadn't even started a premiership match all season for man city who are 7/8 places below you. got that you m*g
Reply 319
esx77
he WAS the player you describe there

so good he was released on a free and hadn't even started a premiership match all season for man city who are 7/8 places below you. got that you m*g

Atleast wait till u see him play at Liverpool, dont wanna be eatin your words do ya?

Latest