Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I can see man utd buying a new keeper, but who i'm not sure.
    Would like to see some kind of ruud -- torres part exchange
    Then some new blood for midfield. Gattuso, diarra but preferably not carrick

All of the above have been rumoured at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    The performance away to Betis wasn't 'excellent', the 0-0 home and away against Chelsea were boring and not excellent either. You were only excellent against Anderlecht imo.
    Perhaps excellent isn't the right word? We played well in all our games apart from Benfica @ home.

Betis away was superb.

Chelsea home and away, well, we created alot of chances, and there's also not many teams who can keep a clean sheet against them.

That's; 0 goals scored against us in 4 attempts in the CL.

And v Anderlecht, well.

ReputationRep:
    Ello TSRers.

I'm just about sane enough to write this now but i'm sure a lot of you aren't aware but Leyton Orient won promotion to League One on Saturday in one of the most dramatic circumstances you will ever see. I was there to witness this magnificent achievement as it was the first time we had been promoted since 1989 and the first time we had been promoted automatically since 1970! 36 long years.

Let me set the scene for you -

Going into the match,

Leyton Orient were 3rd with 78 and set for automatic promotion but Grimsby were only one point behind, with 77.

For our opponents, Oxford they were 23rd and facing relegation with 49 points and above them, there were 5 clubs with 51 points who all stood a chance of relegation if Oxford won.

Now Grimsby were playing 2nd place Northampton who basically had nothing to play for and they needed to win to stand a realistic chance of overtaking us.

So to sum it up, Oxford needed to win to stay up and we needed a better result than Grimsby to get promoted. An amazing coincidence to occur on the last day.

------------

So with both teams playing to win, the spectators were treated to an all out, game of football with so much at stake. Oxford scored first, wild celebrations amongst their fans, maybe JUST maybe, they are going to stay up. Stockport were going down on goal difference now then we equalised and we celebrated, we scored another goal. 2-1 to the Orient, and then they equalised with even more wilder celebrations than the first goal. 2-2 but the result meant nothing to both teams as news came through over the radio that Grimsby had gone ahead through a penalty. which meant they were in automatic promotion spot with 20 minutes to go.

NOW we had to win with a few fans desperately shouting out in vain for the players to hear. Missed chances for both sides meant the atmosphere was very tense. Both teams abandoned their defence and it was attack after attack after attack for both sides.

It came down to the 90th minute. The 3rd official indicates 5 minutes added time (mainly due to injuries and an idiot on the pitch). What follows was the most emotional 16 seconds of my life.

In the 92nd minute, news comes through from Blundell Park (Grimsby), NORTHMAPTON HAVE EQUALISED, amid spontaneous celebrations and hugging and airhorns going off. After the match we found out 200 odd miles away in Grimsby, they had already released the balloons and tickertape after the whistle went for the corner to Northampton and they scored from that. The Orient crowd go abso-bloody-mental. Then we look onto the pitch and we've got 3 strikers forward against one Oxford defender and who else but our number 10, the former Oxford United striker, Lee Steele to control the ball and slide it into the net to win the match and promotion for Orient and to relegate Oxford United after 40 years in the league. 16 seconds between the goal going in at Blundell Park and Lee Steele going. That's the difference between promotion and settling for playoffs. Random people were hugged, tears were flowing, the stand was going beserk. The rest of the match was a blur as we only had 2 minutes still to play and I don't remember a thing!

The match finished, the players came over and celebrated, I got onto the pitch, celebrated with the players, hugging the captain, getting kissed by Lee Steele himself, and dancing in the centre circle and we went back to London for a good ol' cockney knees up with karaoke and much drinking late into the night/morning.

The tension was clear, Oxford were relegated to the conference and we were promoted. It boiled over somewhat with a few of their idiot fans trying to attack our players whilst they were celebrating. That didn't dampen our spirits however.

Forget the Premiership and its hoard of armchair supporters. This was REAL football. The stupid media won't even realise what happened there and will cream over some meaningless match involving Chelsea or Man Utd but the heartbreak of relegation and the joy of promotion and it were years of pain and misery turned around in 16 seconds summed up why I love football.

06/05/06, a day to remember for everybody who was at the Kassam Stadium.

ReputationRep:
    While you're still on TSR, try and learn a thing or two about football.
    I come onto this site to learn more about football and to express my opinion. We are not all 'know it alls' like you. I think you should show more respect me, and a apology would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Man Utd should be chasing Riquelme like there was no tomorrow, and also looking for a tough tackling centre midfielder, unless they're prepared to wait until Smith is fit again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Man Utd should be chasing Riquelme like there was no tomorrow, and also looking for a tough tackling centre midfielder, unless they're prepared to wait until Smith is fit again
    Even when smith is fit, i don't think he is quite the player for the role

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Outburst time:I'm bloody sick of Arsenal, how many Brits play for 'em?? RRRR:mad:
    Last I checked, Spurs only had 1 more player in the England squad.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but Ferguson doesn't like getting rid of players he's given his backing to. See: Phil Neville, Eric Djemba Djemba, Diego Forlan, Darren fletcher, John O'Shea et al. All either over stayed or are over staying their usefulness to a Man Utd team who want to challenge for the Premiership and Champs League year on year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Skips)
    I come onto this site to learn more about football and to express my opinion. We are not all 'know it alls' like you. I think you should show more respect me, and a apology would be nice.
    Firstly, saying Campbell to Spurs is a done deal isn't an opinion. Secondly, knowing Campbell isn't worth 10-15m doesn't make me a 'know-it-all'. Thirdly, Campbell to Spurs is ridiculous.

Apologise for what, saying you know nothing about football? I can find a post where you said I showed a lack of football knowledge for saying MLS is rubbish. So again I say pot, kettle and black. btw, Messi and Fabregas are much better than Adu .

And you don't have a right to be respected when you make silly statements.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool, if we cant beat these after knocking out chelsea and man u convincenly then we dont deserve a seventh FA Cup.
    Liverpool 3 West ham 0
    Crouch.Cisse 2

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by naivesincerity
    Outburst time:I'm bloody sick of Arsenal, how many Brits play for 'em?? RRRR
    (Original post by (>-.-)>)
    Last I checked, Spurs only had 1 more player in the England squad.
    Walcott hasn't played for Arsenal . We would have 6 in the England squad if Sven had the brains to pick Defoe, and King was just unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Skips)
    I think Spurs are going to bid between £10m and £15m for him, hes only 31!
    Stupid post of the week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    I agree, but Ferguson doesn't like getting rid of players he's given his backing to. See: Phil Neville, Eric Djemba Djemba, Diego Forlan, Darren fletcher, John O'Shea et al. All either over stayed or are over staying their usefulness to a Man Utd team who want to challenge for the Premiership and Champs League year on year
    Well i think that O'Shea is a very good player, and Fletcher is pretty good too, but i get what you mean.
    But i would consider the other players you mentioned more squad players, who are good more as a back-up to positions, than first team players.

ReputationRep:
    Few Liverpool transfers id like to see happen..
    Out
    Nando Anywhere that isnt in liverpool. I would snatch a teams hand off if they offered close to £2 million.
    Traore Hopefully everton renew their interest in him, we get £2 million they offerd last time and he maradona turns them out the FA cup.
    Mellor Scored some vital goals for us last year, but he isnt liverpool standard. He is hardly wigan standard either.
    IN
    Defoe If we can get him cheap enough, and without a swap for cisse ( see later point ) i think he would be a perfect buy. He would work amazingly well of crouch and is a natural finisher we need.
    SWP The lad has the potential to be world class, his confidence is shattered because of the set up at chelsea but serves him right for bring a greedy sod. If he is willing to learn his lesson, and come to us i think he would be a revelation on our right wing.

I would also like us to keep cisse. I dont think we have seen the best of him yet, and as of late he has hit some form. Maybe if Rafa gave him a chance he could show us some class. Hes still liverpools second top goalscorer and has 5 goals 2 assits in 7 games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Few Liverpool transfers id like to see happen..

IN
    Defoe If we can get him cheap enough, and without a swap for cisse ( see later point ) i think he would be a perfect buy. He would work amazingly well of crouch and is a natural finisher we need.

We want Berbatov, not Cisse :p:.

SWP The lad has the potential to be world class, his confidence is shattered because of the set up at chelsea but serves him right for bring a greedy sod. If he is willing to learn his lesson, and come to us i think he would be a revelation on our right wing.
    Mark Gonzalez aka Speedy G has been a revelation in La Liga. Rafa thinks so too from what I've read.

ReputationRep:
    The original game was not a fair contest, players throwing up and collapsing directly before and after the game respectively. Nobody is taking anything for granted, again if you read the letters you would have a better idea. All they were asking for was a fair crack of the whip. It seems strange that we played superbly at Highbury two weeks earlier, yet we produced arguably our worst performance of the season at west spam. Nobody should have to be disadvantaged like that ever again.
    The Virus was discovered at 5am in the morning, plenty of time to contact the relative authorities and gain permission. And also plenty of time to send other some more players, its not like you were playing in b'ham or something.
    Lastly, only two of the 'affected' players had even started in the past three games. Not that much of a disadvantage is it.
    Sami Hyypia had the flu when chelses stuffed us 4-1.. can we replay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Outburst time: excuse my lack of patriotism, only how many Brits play for 'em?? RRRR:mad:
    Complete and Utter tripe. Arsenals first perogative is to be successful, not to have a team full of englishmen.
    This has been done time and time again, but if i had a choice between fifth, knocked out of both the fa and league cup at the first hurdle and a team of englishmen and a champions league final with only a handfull..i know who i would pick.
    Boro played their last game of the season with a team of 16 english men, 15 out of the 16 born within 30 miles of the stadium.. and they got beat.

ReputationRep:
    We want Berbatov, not Cisse :p:.

Mark Gonzalez aka Speedy G has been a revelation in La Liga. Rafa thinks so too from what I've read.
    Good, hands off him. You wre interested though...
    As for Gonzalez..He has helped keep real sociedad(SP?) out of relegation, and weighed in with 5 goals. That is a smart return for a winger in a relgation battle. He is going to be phenonemoul(SP?..I need a dictionary!) for us next season, and he can play on both wings. Hell have his spanish passport then to, so no visa problems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Good, hands off him. You wre interested though...
    As for Gonzalez..He has helped keep real sociedad(SP?) out of relegation, and weighed in with 5 goals. That is a smart return for a winger in a relgation battle. He is going to be phenonemoul(SP?..I need a dictionary!) for us next season, and he can play on both wings. Hell have his spanish passport then to, so no visa problems!
    Cisse was one of many options. I don't think we'll do business with you after Rafa's rant about how we are desperate to sell Defoe. Besides, he's staying put now, it's mido that will be released.

Speedy G has been impressive, his goals have been awesome, very good prospect. 10-14m could be used to buy a decent striker instead of SWP.

ReputationRep:
    This Gonzalez is gettin ratings, and you seem to be in the hunt for SWP, so if all goes to plan your wings should sorted for next season. Then you've just got to find defensive cover and get a new striker.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.