39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellie)
    HAHAHAHA.

No I meant it.

HAHAHAHA.

I don't know how Johnson even got on the stand-by list. He's very lucky to be there imo. He kissed goodbye to England when he decided to go to an inferior league. If he'd made the proper squad I'd have been more surprised about it then I was about Walcott. I'm not being funny when I say that I just genuinely believe only top flight players should be in contention.
    What about Rob Green? He's in the main squad and he plays for Norwich. I was suprised that Walcott was in the squad, but it was a nice suprise, seeing as the alternatives are nothing special. He's a very exciting player and when he steps out onto the pitch in an England shirt, whenever it may be, he will be running on pure adrenaline and as he hasn't had much experience playing against word class defenders, his arrogance will come into place and he might produce something special, then again, he might **** up, we'll soon see..

ReputationRep:
    This will be one of the most 1 sided cup finals in Premiership history, Liverpool win by at least 2 clear goals.

ReputationRep:
    Lets face it - eriksson wasn't left w/ much of a choice wen deciding on the remaining 2 strikers to choose.
    apart from our 2 world-class strikers owen and rooney, we dnt have any1 else. our strikers are our weakest area!!

however, taking lennon and jenas was a big mistake as in stead of midfield number we needed strikers esp. w/ rooney doubtful as well as owen now. if eriksson decided on bent and defoe in place of lennon and jenas than taking walcott is not bad a slection as it seems. at least then he wud be the 5th striker and knowing world cups it is best 2 have a player like this but only if the area of the squad is strong which was not the case w/ england.

ReputationRep:
    i could see it happening, but i reckon west ham will nick it. (are you a mate of martins?).

ReputationRep:
    Well I am still here for now and may not be going after all but not visit as often as I have.

Closing thread cos it may not be significant now. LOL

Your ever smily drunken Mod

ReputationRep:
    Racism is around at football more than people think, i hate to tarnish certain areas because it may not be true, but i have never heard it from a southern set of fans.

I have been to lots of football grounds and the northern ones always seem to be
    the worst...

When a player does badly you have a right to say something like "you effing useless ba&^%d"... but it seems whenever somebody of a different race does it, it is "you effing useless insert race ba&^$d" which i find pretty shocking...it is one thing criticising, but there is no need to bring race into it, you might think it, but to say it out loud in public is disgraceful.

Dont get me wrong, it is only a few fans who are guilty of it, but it happens at a lot of football clubs not just one or two... I only goto Ewood Park regularly, but on my visits there, it is clear that football in england is a predominantly white supported game, and i wouldnt be surprised if racism is part of the reason...

ReputationRep:
    A rather interesting squad for the World Cup picked by our favourite Swede. Rising above the tabloid hype and hyperbole, I run my expert (!) eye over the squad and opine as to where Sven Goran Eriksson got it spot on and where he got it wrong, and who I'd have taken instead. So here goes.

To begin with, the no-brainers; I'd pick these all day long and agree with Eriksson on these:
    Paul Robinson has been world-class in an England shirt and should be No.1 for the following two World Cups too.
    David James is the second best English goalkeeper, and despite his rare lapses of concentration a damn good one.
    Gary Neville, an easy choice, the best right-back in the country and the League for nearly a decade.
    John Terry. Nuff said.
    Rio Ferdinand, on his day the best in the world, making an obvious first choice partnership with Terry.
    Ashley Cole, lucky that he's back to fitness as there's no other left-back who inspires confidence in terms of ability quite like he does.
    Jamie Carragher. Committed, versatile, dependable, and growing in stature for Liverpool.
    Sol Campbell was pretty much ruled in by Ledley King's injury. Let's hope the occasion can inspire him again.
    David Beckham has been Real Madrid's best player this calendar year, his passing ability, work rate and desire for England is without question. But should he be captain? Eriksson thinks so, a brave McClaren should disagree.
    Steven Gerrard's last great performance for his country was in that game in Munich, but, a sheer dynamo and talisman for his club, let's hope there's something in the German water for the engine.
    Frank Lampard always does it for England and being Chelsea's top scorer tells its own story. Stamina personified, but subdued alongside Gerrard. To bring out the best in him, Sven should consider pairing him up with...
    Michael Carrick, one of a new breed of central midfielder rather perversely known as the quarterback. An eye for a pass, good set pieces, has performed for his country and been outstanding for his club, showing up Edgar Davids is no small feat.
    Joe Cole has now become a potent force, and alonside Beckham ought to be the team's main creative focus with Wayne Rooney certain to miss games. Witness his goal against Manchester United for a conclusive case.
    Michael Owen ought never to be questioned again, after throwing strong criticism back in the tabloids' faces in 2004. Proven goalscorer, poacher extroadinarie, surprisingly good header, and with Alan Shearer's retirement will improve as Newcastle United's main man (if he can stay fit!).
    Wayne Rooney has a chance of being fit for a group game, of course he ought to go. All is not lost without him, but England's first eleven looks genuinely world-class with him in it.

Now for the question marks, those who divide opinion. Would I take them?
    Robert Green is there because Chris Kirkland can't keep his bones and muscles together, Richard Wright can't get his act together, and Green's form for Norwich in the Premiership couldn't be ignored. Shouldn't have to play barring a disaster, and I'd have taken another forward.
    Wayne Bridge has been injured much of the season, but being on Chelsea's considerable payroll hasn't helped his prospects (familiar story, this). Still just about England's second best left-back, but that isn't enough for me.
    Owen Hargreaves has never shown (or been allowed to show?) his true ability in an England shirt, but if you can be a regular partner to Michael Ballack you can't be half bad. Don't trust him to change a game, but he's extremely versatile too. But with the emergence of Carrick, is the potentially useful fact that Hargreaves is based in Germany enough? Not for me.
    Aaron Lennon is an interesting gamble, and while at times deadly for Spurs, his game could use more maturity. Eriksson values his pace and penetration. For me, a potential game-changer and a worthwhile gamble.
    Peter Crouch, the muse of the hackneyed cliches; "Great touch for a big man", "a different option". If he's England's Plan B don't hold your breath, but we saw how he unsettled Argentina and Uruguay. Could prove useful against fellow South Americans Paraguay, I'd take him as one of five forwards.

This leaves the definite no-nos, where I tell Sven he got it badly wrong.
    Jermaine Jenas is so hard to justify, I can't think of anything good to say about him. Certainly not lightning for Spurs, nor has he done it for his country. For four other reasons, I give you Kevin Nolan, Scott Parker, Nigel Reo-Coker, and Joey Barton.
    Stewart Downing, injured far too long, has a rather one-dimensional game, and is certainly not the type to come on and change a game. I'd rather have taken the promising and versatile Kieran Richardson.
    Theo Walcott. What was Sven smoking when he chose him? Consider that with Rooney set to miss games Walcott is our third-choice forward. Though he's never been risked by Arsenal, why has Arsene Wenger suddenly decided he's good enough for England in the World Cup? One for the future, not now.

So I've said no to six of Sven's squad. Who would I have taken instead?
    Darren Bent. No other European country would ignore the highest ranking goalscorer in their league eligible to play for them. And the loss of Danny Murphy as a teammate wasn't enough to stop him scoring. Pacey and sharp, with an eye for spaces and goal, could prove a test for tiring defences.
    Jermain Defoe. Next to Owen he ranks as England's best finisher. Instinctive and unpredictable. Scored a genius goal against Poland in qualifying. And unlike Walcott, has played many Premiership games for a team of European calibre.
    Shawn Wright-Phillips, though anonymous for Chelsea, thoroughly enjoys playing in white. Lightning quick, creative, eye for goal, changes games. Were he to go, I believe his confidence would soar and we'd see him at his penetrative England best. Worth the gamble for me.
    Philip Neville. A quality full-back, a half-decent holding midfielder, the only Everton player not to look average over the season. Why take Bridge and Hargreaves, when Neville the younger gives you both?
    Scott Parker. A real hero for Newcastle, and with Given is the reason Newcastle's defence hasn't held them back from a 7th place finish. Unlike Carrick, he's a genuine ball-winner. Tenacious and courageous, passes it well, disciplined enough in his duties to allow others to shine. Why Jenas?
    Kieran Richardson, my personal wild card. I could play it safe and go with Robert Green, but Richardson's graduation at West Bromwich Albion and continued development at United ought to mean his two impressive games for England last summer shouldn't be his last. He's quick and fleet-footed, a sound passer, and has demonstrated versatility and maturity by playing at left-back. I suppose you could consider Walcott instead but only as one of five forwards.

Hope this was interesting and I hope it prompts discussion. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Football knows not of such trivial differences as race. No racist is a football fan.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree... I dont see how being racist stops you being a fan of a sport....

ReputationRep:
    Aside from anything else, racism is completely against the spirit of sport, and certainly football. Besides, racists are complete idiots, and do not deserve to be blessed with all the majesty and beauty of football.

ReputationRep:
    My Maths teacher went to see Rochdale play but got forced out by some racist thugs calling him 'paki' etc. Its sad really.

When it was England vs Turkey in the euro 2004 qualifying round. Look how racist that was. Before the match some england fans were out of control, during the match there was some tension between both sides including the tunnel brawl. The return match in Istanbul would have been fierce but to be honest england got humiliated. Beckham must have been aiming for Heathrow airport when he took that dreadful penalty kick. And the one against portugal was even bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    I disagree... I dont see how being racist stops you being a fan of a sport....
    I disagree too. Being a racist doesn't stop you being something else too. Racists can appreciate art and music etc, so why not football? Well, because they might have been banned from the grounds, but then they can watch it on the telly at home or in the pub or something...

ReputationRep:
    Paul Robinson isn't world class. He's very good, but he's not world class.
    I agree with David James as number two, he's at least as good as, maybe better than, Robinson at shot stopping. But it only takes him a second to ruin a good performance with a fluffed punch, sliced clearance, poor decision from a corner etc
    About Peter Crouch you said "If he's England's Plan B don't hold your breath" but he's had nothing but good performances for England.
    SWP and Aaron Lennon. With the likelihood of Beckham being dropped non-existant, only injury and substituting him to save him for the next game will result us needing a replacement. With Gerrard being one possible replacement on the right, we only really need one of Shaun or Aaron. I'd go for Aaron, since he's the one i've seen more of recently and he's been excellent. While SWP may still be a fantastic footballer (who does tend to run the ball straight into people), i wouldn't know cos i haven't seen it.

ReputationRep:
    Course you can be racist and a real football fan. Racism is disgusting and i think there is no place for it in the game, you can support football and be racist, of course you can. It comes down to personal choice, one might view a racist football fan as not a true supporter, while i reckon racists can be true fans, their just scum and ****s.

ReputationRep:
    'didnt have anyone else', strange comment. I think Defoe and Bent would have been safer choices and a more successful combination, i think that the reason Sven chose walcott is because he has nothing to lose. If its a bad choice, which is more likely than unlikely considering walcott has yet to prove himself domestically let alone internationally, whats the worst that could happen? He gets fired? Well he's going anyway so the risk of Svens decision is minimalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    The best argument i heard about the inclusion of Walcott, over Bent at least, was the comparison of Bent to someone like Andy Cole, or Robbie Fowler, who scored often for their club, but didn't have the quality to do the same for their country.
    ok by this logic, gerrard and terry shouldnt be in the squad, but i suppose they play for big clubs so you cant leave them out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I agree about Robinson. His reaction saves can be top notch but at other times I never really have that much confidence. As for James being the second best English keeper...debatable. I would say Big Nige, personally. He may even be better.
    As for Peter Crouch, he will work hard as usual and get no credit for it. It's not that he's our desperate plan B, because I do rate him. It's just a case of finding someone who really compliments his game.

(Original post by Mellie)
    As for Peter Crouch, he will work hard as usual and get no credit for it. It's not that he's our desperate plan B, because I do rate him. It's just a case of finding someone who really compliments his game.
    Would you not say that
    1. players with decent delivery (Beckham, Gerrard...)
    2. a zippy striker as a foil (well, take your pick)
    3. powerful players, breaking into the box (Gerrard, Lampard, Cole)

would compliment his game?

Crouch doesn't touch Rooney for ability, there's not question of that. I'll get shot down for suggesting it, but will he possibly bring with him a little more balance to the side?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Shevchenko wants to come to England according to Silvio Burlesconi....
    Yep, hope he doent get use to the EPL any time soon. Better yet, hope he stays in italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYE)
    Yep, hope he doent get use to the EPL any time soon. Better yet, hope he stays in italy.
    huh

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.