Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I put Lampard and Gerrard as joint 3rd, yesterday gerrard was awesome, simplist way to put it, but Lampard has his fair share of magical moments. 'Try watching more than the premiership', my view is an unbiased opinion, you dont know what i watch or where i stand so lets keep useless comments down to a minimum. If we all rated the top 5 players and all came out with the same answers then it would be a boring.

I'll agree Riquelme is a great player, but i would like to see him playing in a better side to see the effect on his game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    Go on a Barnes coach to the match if you're a Liverpool or Everton fan and you'll see the disgusting amount of racist pricks that are supposedly "fans" of your team.
    Every club has its sections. Barnes arent that bad really, same with Big als.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    How anybody can say that Gerrard is the best European player of his generation is beyond me, especially when he doesn't turn up to international matches. I'd probably drop him for England, we'd have a better chance of winning the World Cup that way.
    For influencial momments...No-one can beat Gerrard im afraid. Do you think, if barca had been trailing 2-0 and then 3-2 and the in last minute that ball fell to him at 35 yards out he would of stuck it in that bottom corner? I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    How anybody can say that Gerrard is the best European player of his generation is beyond me, especially when he doesn't turn up to international matches. I'd probably drop him for England, we'd have a better chance of winning the World Cup that way.
    now if anyone should be dropped it's lampard... if it wasn't for his apparent "unsubstitutional" quality which Mourinho granted him for Chelsea he would have no doubt been hauled of the pitch at half time for many of his performances in Chelsea's 'rut' at the end of the season. If it wasnt for the fact that lampard is so inadaptable to the role he always plays, with Gerrard forced to accomodate him, Gerrard would have certainly "turned up" for England. ...drop lampard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    yep, and the only player to have won the Champions league with 3 different clubs.
    It'd be interesting to see Fernando Morientes' records.

ReputationRep:
    Economist and Dan, you should watch England matches.

You should realise Gerrard hasn't had many chances to play in his favoured position. Yet, when he is asked to play on the left of midfield and right-back, he has done more than just a good job.

Still clinging onto that one mistake against France? How sour and jealous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Economist and Dan, you should watch England matches.

You should realise Gerrard hasn't had many chances to play in his favoured position. Yet, when he is asked to play on the left of midfield and right-back, he has done more than just a good job.

Still clinging onto that one mistake against France? How sour and jealous
    Good effort - I especially liked the use of the emboldening letters and underlining, however, given the fact that you think he's untouchable, the best player in the whole wide world, shouldn't he adapt to whatever role he is given?

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree, whats happening to west midland teams??? Just two seasons ago Birmingham city were showing other premiership sides how its done! Aston Villa and West Brom were guaranteeing their place in the prem for next season, we only needed wolves to get promoted next season to have nearly all the west midlands sides in the top flight of English football.
    Ideally but no really realistic all three (Birmingham,West Brom and Wolves) will go up again next season, two through automatic and the other play-offs. Tall order but they all need to get back on track. (From a disappointed wolves fan). Who knows how Walsall will manage :-s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Good effort - I especially liked the use of the emboldening letters and underlining, however, given the fact that you think he's untouchable, the best player in the whole wide world, shouldn't he adapt to whatever role he is given?
    Does "shouldn't he adapt to whatever role he is given?" not mean "Yet, when he is asked to play on the left of midfield and right-back, he has done more than just a good job." that?

Or do you not read posts but reply to them?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    my view is an unbiased opinion
    classic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Does "shouldn't he adapt to whatever role he is given?" not mean "Yet, when he is asked to play on the left of midfield and right-back, he has done more than just a good job." that?

Or do you not read posts but reply to them?
    Given your biased opinion [he is world class in every position he is player, he'd even be amazing in goal, etc], I assumed I was able to produce an opinion of my own, instead of responding with the kind of quote you just produced.

If he were to produce his Liverpool performances for England then i'd consider him one of the World's best, let alone one of Europe's best, but, alas.. this is rarely the case.

Good player, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    but why why why should he be forced to adapt to such roles though?!?! Shall we stick Rooney in goal and see how he fares as well? You really think that any other player in the England team would have been able to do as good a job as Gerrard has done in playing in unfavoured positions! like I said earlier, our best players should be playing in their best positions, if that means lampards on the bench then so be it. When this happens we will see Gerrards true international potential shine through.

ReputationRep:
    lol that was well good

ReputationRep:
    That's why I was thinking, if a player was so good in his favoured position, why be silly and put him in another?

Stupid, really.

ReputationRep:
    "Discussion: Is Football in The West Midlands on the Decline?"

Is there really much to discuss that they're not? Having only 1 (sub-standard) team in the PL says no!

I like the midlands teams though (well maybe not villa and brum), but certainly the others. Good luck to them all next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    If he were to produce his Liverpool performances for England then i'd consider him one of the World's best, let alone one of Europe's best, but, alas.. this is rarely the case.
    haven't we been through this already? If sven wasn't such an idiot Gerrard would have had the opportunity to shine... lets just see how he fares in the summer, i hope then our discussion will be decided!

ReputationRep:
    thats great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jovialtom)
    haven't we been through this already? If sven wasn't such an idiot Gerrard would have had the opportunity to shine... lets just see how he fares in the summer, i hope then our discussion will be decided!
    So from now on the England starting XI needs to be based around Gerrard? Pffft. Ridiculous. Lampard has that position, and there's not a chance Gerrard is going to be played there in place of Frankie, laaad.

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you guys play for a football academy?If so how old were you when you were scouted and picked up? The only reason i ask is my my bro is an ace player for his age (im not just saying it because he is my bro either ). Since he was 8 he has played for a few local teams, but the team he is currently with dont allow scouts to come to the game because they think it distracts the team and they dont want to lose any of their good players. He is 14 now and I think he is losing his spirit in being picked up. He sleeps and dreams football and Id hate to think he missed out because his manager is being pathetic. Just really wondering if their is much hope now his getting older?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.