Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    To be honest, a 3-3 draw against West Ham isn't something to be that proud about..

Oh, i'd like somebody, maybe you, to point out how my comments about Gerrard not performing for England are bitter? Is Economist bitter too? Surely? No? Oh..
    WH had 3 flukely/lucky goals :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    For 15 minutes of the match he was superb, yeah.

How come?

I'm convinced the substitution that brought on Didi Hamann changed the whole game then, and that's irrelevent anyway. Gerrard was absolutely diabolical in the first half/most of the second half, as were the Liverpool team.
    you don't expect there to be a time in the world cup when the entire england team are playing crap?! wishful thinking! need a player to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when everything is falling apart around him... Gerrard has proved he can do that on so many occasions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    To be honest, a 3-3 draw against West Ham isn't something to be that proud about..
    No..But to come back from 2-0 and 3-2 behind with 3 truley remarkable goals..thats something to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Even if that's true, they could underperform and still be worth their place. I still think Terrys been their best centre back, even if he hasnt lived up to club form. Anyway, Owen, Ferdinand, and Beckham have all underperformed at least as much IMO
    Did you not read my post? Just because other people underperform, that means its OK for Gerrard and Terry to underperform? You think Terry's been the best CB? take a look at his performance sin qualifying and euro 04. Owen has almost always come up with the goods in the big games. Ferdinand had an awesome WC in 2002 and wasnt there in 04. Gerrard, apart from the GEramny game, has been poor. Just accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jovialtom)
    I said it cemented my view, not formed the basis of it. Yesterday Gerrard put in an inspirational performance (you cannot deny it was that). 2-0 down Gerrard grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and picked up his entire team. An inch perfect cross and two amazing goals, one from 30 yards out, in the last minute!! Also kept his composure with his penalty... He prooved that he can perform in front of over 70,000 spectators and millions more on television. That is what england needs! Why the hell would we want him making covering tackles on the edge of our penalty box?!

oh and nice to see you ignoring the rest of my post, is that because it made too much sense for you?!
    Yeah, Gerrard was Man of the Match by a mile yesterday. So what? It was only against West Ham..

Like I said, time after time, he has failed to show this kind of form for England, even when played in a midfield position. How many chances does he want?
    Or do you want me to just agree with you that he's the best player the world has ever seen and not argue that he doesn't perform at the highest level?

Despite laying on a world class, inch perfect ball for Cisse to get them back in the game?
    Are you referring to the FA Cup final, because I wasn't..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    International level, perhaps?

There's a thought..
    Like i said before, give him the license to roam around the pitch and youll see the best of him.
    half the england squad under-perform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    No..But to come back from 2-0 and 3-2 behind with 3 truley remarkable goals..thats something to be proud of.
    Like I said, he played excellently yesterday! But there's a difference in playing well against WHU and playing well against Brazil etc..

you don't expect there to be a time in the world cup when the entire england team are playing crap?! wishful thinking! need a player to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when everything is falling apart around him... Gerrard has proved he can do that on so many occasions!
    So he should be played just because he can do that against premiership teams? Really glad you're not the manager!

ReputationRep:
    Well he was named in the PFA team of the season and has had a very good season, plus France do need a second talented right back after Sagnol, Chimbonda would be my first choice actually. Another suprise in the squad is Franck Ribery, two players who could both be at Spurs next season.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Dan here. Yes Gerrard is a great player and he is awesome for Liverpool, but dont you think he's getting hyped a bit too much when some people on this board are saying he's god etc. I mean you dont see Italy calling for Maresca to be the main player after his UEFA cup final performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essex Jay)
    What about Rob Green? He's in the main squad and he plays for Norwich.
    I don't think he has done anything to warrent being there either.

But the situations are difference, we are hardly overrun with class on the goalkeeping front. In comparison, the class available in the Premiership on the striking front... Johnson shouldn't even get a mention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    I agree with Dan here. Yes Gerrard is a great player and he is awesome for Liverpool, but dont you think he's getting hyped a bit too much when some people on this board are saying he's god etc. I mean you dont see Italy calling for Maresca to be the main player after his UEFA cup final performance.
    Thank you.

I really don't understand anybody calling my comments about his England performances bitter.. Probably an easy way out of answering my accusations about his performances..

There's no doubt he's an excellent player, but, until he produces that kind of form against top international teams, I am never going to agree with any of the comments in this thread. And no, the England team shouldn't be shuffled around to give him his perfect position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Ferdinand had an awesome WC in 2002
    :rolleyes: sure

the man's overrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Yeah, Gerrard was Man of the Match by a mile yesterday. So what? It was only against West Ham..

Like I said, time after time, he has failed to show this kind of form for England, even when played in a midfield position. How many chances does he want?
    Or do you want me to just agree with you that he's the best player the world has ever seen and not argue that he doesn't perform at the highest level?

The opposition arn't that important- what is important is the occasion, the pressure, the stage (70,000 and millions on tv), and just the nature of the come back and performance.

...and as i have said... time after time... is that Gerrard hasn't been given the opportunity to perform his best for England. Even in midfield his role has been completly different to the role at liverpool. This is a fact that i have highlighted which you have ignored and keep insisting on repeating the same thing over and over again.

Since when have I been trying to argue that he is the best player in the world. I'm just arguing that you're opinion that Gerrard is crap on the international stage is a load of ********

ReputationRep:
    The opposition arn't that important
    And you wonder why I ignore half of the stuff you post? *laughs*

ReputationRep:
    Sagnol would be above Chimbonda, Eric Abidal would give both of them a hard time- he's pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Probably an easy way out of answering my accusations about his performances..
    I have answered your accusations about his performances for England... you have failed to discredit or refute them so i take that as a sign that you have don't have any response. Please don't resort to pasting your original statement again... its so tiresome...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    And you wonder why I ignore half of the stuff you post? *laughs*
    sorry but your such a **** and have been shot down on this thread...

ReputationRep:
    I have answered your accusations about his performances for England... you have failed to discredit or refute them so i take that as a sign that you have don't have any response. Please don't resort to pasting your original statement again... its so tiresome...
    Yet the opposition aren't important?

That's a classic! Take a screen print of what you wrote, you'll laugh at it one day.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: sure

the man's overrated
    Nice to see you ignored the rest of my post:rolleyes:

Sure he's overrated, but theres no denying he had a good world cup in 2002.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you calling an idiot?! Gerrard has never been given the same role for England as he has at liverpool. He is forced to play second fiddle to lampard who is able to roam in a free role. Gerrard is best when he does not have to worry about last-ditch tackling and covering his back four, and the FA cup final just cemented my view that it would be crazy not to present Gerrard with the role in which he is most deadly.
    ok ok so if Gerrard doesnt play in a finite role that makes him [email protected] does it? Thats fair enough if you accept Gerrard can only play 1 role, but by that reckoning you cant class him as one of the best in the world since the best in the world are versatile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.