Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jovialtom)
    sorry but your such a **** and have been shot down on this thread...
    I have? Dear, I didn't notice. Was it by all the Liverpool fans? How ironic!

Oh, and no need to resort to name-calling, you do know that's pretty pathetic?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't a clue about this stuff, but why doesn't he move clubs to one which will allow scouts to come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    ok ok so if Gerrard doesnt play in a finite role that makes him [email protected] does it? Thats fair enough if you accept Gerrard can only play 1 role, but by that reckoning you cant class him as one of the best in the world since the best in the world are versatile
    That's a very good point! I'd nearly overlooked that; but be certain he'll have a witty comeback for you, probably something like 'well he's immense for Liverpool, and if only he was given the same position for England..' - so monotonous!

ReputationRep:
    He's amazing at the roaming role (does anyone disagree with this?)
    He can play great on right right, though he does tend to cut inside a lot
    And he can kinda play international level with DM duties while Fat Frank runs around in circles..
    Isnt that versatile enough?
    But the best players in the world will still be played in their best position, to get the most out of them....

ReputationRep:
    ok ok so if Gerrard doesnt play in a finite role that makes him [email protected] does it? Thats fair enough if you accept Gerrard can only play 1 role, but by that reckoning you cant class him as one of the best in the world since the best in the world are versatile
    ...i dont really know what we are arguing about anymore. Gerrard is versatile and he has certainly proved that. But he has a favoured position in which he is amazing and has been so far been unable to play in for England -the reasoning behind his average performaces. This convo started with me saying that Gerrard should be allowed to play in his favoured position for England especially when you compare his performances with Lampard (who is unversatile) this season. I have mentioned anything about worlds best...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.myspace.com/dominobones

Bez's band. Brilliant

ReputationRep:
    No he cant really do the DM position for England or Liverpool. All i hear form liverpool fans is how he's such a good allrounder and versatile, yet when his england perofmances are questioned, they say he needs a dm. Contradiction?

True the best players in the world should be played in their best position? but England have 2 in Gerrard and Lampard.

I dont see why Gerrard deserves it so much more than Lampard?

ReputationRep:
    Thats fair enough if you accept Gerrard can only play 1 role, but by that reckoning you cant class him as one of the best in the world since the best in the world are versatile
    Stick Riquelme in a defensive midfield slot. Does he play ****? Yes. Does it make him ****? No
    Stupid argument.

ReputationRep:
    I've also read the papers and it says he should be playing in 3 weeks. In, I think, "The people" they say that he should be kicking a ball a week before the tournament even starts. He's ahead of schedule. I wouldn't bother waiting for confirmation from the England or Man United camp about the speed of his progress. They won't tell us, they won't build up the nations hopes and put the pressure on Rooney but I think inside they believe he is ahead of schedule and could be playing sooner than we all think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jovialtom)
    ...i dont really know what we are arguing about anymore. Gerrard is versatile and he has certainly proved that. But he has a favoured position in which he is amazing and has been so far been unable to play in for England -the reasoning behind his average performaces. This convo started with me saying that Gerrard should be allowed to play in his favoured position for England especially when you compare his performances with Lampard (who is unversatile) this season. I have mentioned anything about worlds best...
    Im arguing the FACT that Gerrard isnt the 'best of him generation' and isnt 'GOD' and isnt in the top three players in the world. Im not denying he is phenominal for Liverpool in the role he performs. Perhaps he should be given the right role, yes I agree. BUT the fact is he should be able to do a good job as a holding player is he is as good as everyone makes out, and its not like he has been average in that role for England he has been very poor.

Im replying to what the original thread was about not about some tangent regarding his role for England which you seem to have gone off on. There are plenty of other threads to discuss that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Stick Riquelme in a defensive midfield slot. Does he play ****? Yes. Does it make him ****? No
    Stupid argument.
    Find me one quote from this thread that has suggested Gerrard is, as you put it, sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid argument.
    Did I say it makes Gerrard ****? Im just arguing the fact that you cant class him as the best player in the world or best player of his generation and im right

ReputationRep:
    Henry aside, the french squad looks either inept or past it! Reminds me of the recent german teams of former greats!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ce/4769857.stm

ReputationRep:
    Stupid argument.
    A very good point which i agree with. But then you get a lot of Liverpool fans on here saying gerrard is so versatile, he's a great all round midfielder, he can attack and DEFEND. Dont you sense a contradiction?

ReputationRep:
    I dont have much idea either really . The lads he plays with are all his good friends and he is happy with the team he is with, but its just unfair that he doesn't have a chance to take what his got further. I guess something will come along for him if its meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    I have? Dear, I didn't notice. Was it by all the Liverpool fans? How ironic!

Oh, and no need to resort to name-calling, you do know that's pretty pathetic?
    i'm not a liverpool fan.

i'll think you'll find that you started the name calling if you look back through the thread.

So are you saying that Gerrard shouldn't be given the same role in the england squad as he has in liverpool? Do you not want to see him recreate his domestic performances for England? Have you really been that impressed with lampards performances this season?

Answer some of these questions then it might not be so hypocritical for you to be calling me monotonous.

With regards to the cup final, as I mentioned, what was important was the situation... it was a cup final, liverpools most important game of the season, 70000 people!, millions of people watching on tv, a stage not too dissimliar to that of the world cup you might say, the pressure on the team at 2-0 was immense...Liverpool had their backs up against the wall and needed someone to save the day... who was that...? Steven Gerrard.

You seem a bit too hooked up on the opposition, and i dont see why... we could just talk about the champions league final. In the world cup we still need to perform against the lesser teams such as Paraguay and T+T.

ReputationRep:
    lol quality.

ReputationRep:
    You can't say a player is the best in the world until they have performed on the world stage. If Gerrard has the opportunity to play in his free role and then England have an amazing chance... I guess the thread needs to be resumed on July 10th. I'll be at the quarter final provided England actually make it there and win their group!

ReputationRep:
    The squad isn't as strong as last time but look what happened then. You could make a great first XI from that squad though but if any of them got injured, the replacments are not of the same quality.

(Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Sagnol would be above Chimbonda, Eric Abidal would give both of them a hard time- he's pretty awesome.
    He's a left-back and he could probably be in the first XI.

ReputationRep:
    ROON BACK IN 3 WEEKS
    EXCULSIVE WORLD CUP COUNTDO WN - 26 DAYS TO GO
    By Andy Dunn

WAYNE ROONEY believes he will be kicking a ball a week before England's World campaign starts on June 10.

The SP understands that the Manchester United striker is already ahead of schedule in his recovery from a broken metatarsal.

Rooney, who has discarded the crutches and plastic cast, has been having two sessions a day in a special oxygen chamber as well as 1 swimming 40 lengths I and cycling 30 miles a day in a bid to be ready for Germany - and the ) results have been extremely positive.

Rooney is now on course to start ballwork in three weeks' time and that would mean he might even be fit enough to play in England's last group game on June 20.

While Sir Alex Ferguson remains very pessimistic about Rooney's chances of playing any part in the tournament, Sven Goran Eriksson and senior figures within the FA are upbeat. Rooney will need the go-ahead from Manchester United doctors to join up with England when they fly to Germany on June 4.

But once he is with the national squad, the decision on his participation will be made by the England medics.

The FA will resist any attempts by United to have their doctors check Rooney over while he is with England in Germany.

Eriksson said: ''It's very important to know that Rooney is paid by Manchester United and they must look after their interest for the player and for the future.

''But on the other hand, if he is fit then I think no-one can tell him not to play in the World Cup. He is desperate to be there.

''Our doctors are in regular contact with the medical staff at United. I don't think we will have a situation where our medical staff staff say he's fit and United's say he is not.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.