The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
Riquelme was awful when he played on the wing for Barca - no pace. Ronaldinho is most effective played behind the striker with a license to roam, usually to the left. Rooney's talents are wasted if he's played on the wing.

Gerrard can play DM - he's good at tackling, but if you want him to have the impact for England he does for Liverpool he needs to be played in the same position.

Some players are over-rated. Gerrard's not - the vast majority of fans, pundits and players (current and past) agree with this. That's why both Juve and Real have wanted to sign him. Now when it's an Everton fan who's the main antagonist here in the face of fact and reason, we have to assume Dan's only arguing this way becuase he doesn't like Liverpool.
Reply 3561
LH

Gerrard can play DM - he's good at tackling, but if you want him to have the impact for England he does for Liverpool he needs to be played in the same position.

Now this i have to disagree with. Gerrard is terrible in DM. Sure he is good at tackling, but Del Piero is good at tackling, Nedved is good at tackling, Camoranesi is good at tackling, even Raul and Drogba to some extent are good at taclking, but that doesnt mean you can play the DM position simply because you are good at tackling. theres a lot more to it - one of the most important things you need is tactical discipline which Gerrard simply doesnt have.
Reply 3562
whats the point in arguing? Some believe Gerrard is awesome while others think he has yet to prove himself on the national stage, fair enough, your opinions and your views.

jovialton, dont write 'you cant say...', absolute rubbish. Thats the beauty about following football and having these conversations (not arguments), everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you agree or disagree thats the way it is, or at least should be.
You can't say a player is the best in the world until they have performed on the world stage.

mancred

jovialton, dont write 'you cant say...', absolute rubbish. Thats the beauty about following football and having these conversations (not arguments), everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you agree or disagree thats the way it is, or at least should be.

think you'll find that was merely a figure of speach and wasnt refering to anyone. It's also a commonly held opinion if not a fact... as im sure everyone is this conversation will agree! ...and even if it were refering to a opinion specific to me, directed at something someone else they have said it is not meant literally as obviously people can say what they want!
Reply 3564
After a great set of games, Galatasaray has passed Fenerbahce to take the league title of Turkey.
Both teams had games of upmost importance.
Fenerbahce had a point and game advantage over Galatasaray however they were at the same points on the table and for their final game they were matched against a team who were in danger of dropping to the second division.
Galatasaray played the fourth team in the Turkish league and they beat them 3-0.
Fenerbahce would take the title if they beat the opposition however, the game was delayed with confetti, causing 16 minutes of extra time, a record.
The opposition finally scored in the 89th minute and Fenerbahce replied in the 93rd however they couldn't find another goal by the 116th minute and thus drew, allowing Galatasaray to pass.

I wouldn't be writing this if i didn't support GS obviously.
Reply 3565
obviously.
Gerrard has his moments but people here are getting carried away just because he produced a bit of magic at the end of the match against west ham..

Lets just sit back and see how he does in the world cup, then we can come back on TSR and waste our time talking about him.
Reply 3567
Our primary school has links with Peterborough and some of us went through from there. I don’t want to sound too harsh here, but as he’s at the age of 14, there’s pretty much no chance he’ll hit the big time as most promising young players are already snapped up at the ages of 10/12 in academies. You see, at the age of 14, it's harder to develop your skills than it is at the age of 10.

That said, some clubs (mainly lower league) do have scouting days where kids come along and get trials. Could be worth a butchers
Reply 3568
A possible solution could be to go to a soccer school in the summer holidays like Beckham's or Man Utd's.
Batman
Gerrard has his moments but people here are getting carried away just because he produced a bit of magic at the end of the match against west ham..

Lets just sit back and see how he does in the world cup, then we can come back on TSR and waste our time talking about him.
He produces magic match-in match-out.
Refused
The squad isn't as strong as last time but look what happened then. You could make a great first XI from that squad though but if any of them got injured, the replacments are not of the same quality.

He's a left-back and he could probably be in the first XI.

It's quite an unorthodox selection, he's chosen 4 holding players and 2 attacking players in midfield (zidane and malouda). Ribery isn't a striker and will have some part to play out on the left, tremendous talent. Overall an intersting squad imo.

Abidal is more a central defender that can operate anywhere across the back 4 and be great at it. That's the main positive about the whole squad really. Aside from the 4 holding midfield players, the squad is pretty versatile.
Batman

Three bits of magic IMO :wink:
My opinion is Gerrard is the best midfielder in the country... It is more noticable when he is not there - take the Liverpool team against Blackburn a few weeks ago, they were without Gerrard and were no more than an average team with a solid defence who looked mid table like, yet with Gerrard they look like title contenders... Again yesterday, Liverpool looked an average side, but the difference was Gerrard...

If they can keep him fit for 38 matches then yes i can see them getting second next year, if not, they will finish 3rd or 4th. :smile:
Transfer rumours this morning suggest Arsenal are after AJ for £8m. Seems crappy old andy johnsons got a fan in Arsene Wenger.
LH
Now when it's an Everton fan who's the main antagonist here in the face of fact and reason, we have to assume Dan's only arguing this way becuase he doesn't like Liverpool.

So an Everton fan isn't entitled to an opinion?

Where is the facts that show Gerrard performs to a similar standard as his premiership performances in international games? Really, i'd like to know.. Because I am not the only person in this thread who believes he is poor for England. I think most [footbal fans, non-Liverpool fans] people would agree with that.

So.. I'm to go along with the pretence that he's world class, even though he hasn't even come close to showing this in the field that really matters; on the international stage?
AJ to Arsenal or Middlesbrough depending on who you believe
Gerrard to Chelsea.

HAHA YOU ****ING WISH.
Fancy loaning him to us? We'll pay for his bus ride down :frown:.....
You'd be promoted with half the season to spare if he did.. :wink:
Reply 3579
Looks like Gudjohnsen's going to join Blackburn.

Latest