Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I haven't argued anything. All I will say is that it is pretty impressive, if I do say so myself, for a club never to have been in the Champions League to secure one of the 10 biggest sponsorship deals in the world (slightly less than the Samsung-Chelsea deal on average). MANSION wouldn't be stupid enough to invest without due consideration, not to mention a 34m quid investment.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs have such a fantastic spell of late. Martin Jol really has brought out the potential of many players who where not producing consistant performances ,ie Robbie Keane.

Fantastic sponsorship deal, deffinately a team on the up.

They are deffinately "Sachmo's Team Of The Season" :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    The 2006 World Cup song should have been the tune "Heroes".
    "We could be heroes, just for one day!" Perfect!

Embrace should have just covered this before they sadly decided to release World At Your Feet......

I know Oasis did a cover of Heroes once which was awsome, but I cant remember who sang it originally?

Any one agree with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Buffon may not be allowed in the Italy squad amid match fixing allegations that are being reported all over italy.

That'd be nice.
    I think is being accused of betting on games which is illegal for a player to do in Italy. I think he should be cleared though because he betted before August 2005 (when the ban was put in place). Anyway, worst case scenario, Peruzzi will play.

ReputationRep:
    I think attendances might be higher in Germany, but i might be wrong.

EPL, Serie A, and La Liga are the top 3, but its very hard to split them as most people will say the one they watch is the best.

As for match fixing, this has been present in Serie A for the best part of 10 years now. Anyone who knows anything about Serie A would realise that Juve have the refs in their pockets. However this happens in other leagues, but in Serie A it is just so blatent!

ReputationRep:
    most high tech, big stadium, i'll think you will find wembley, 92,000 seats will be the most high tech big stadium next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Preparing myself for more spurs fans to argue that their new big buck sponsorship deal makes them one of the biggest teams in england..
    Dammit you got their first.... :p:

Yet more money going into the "business" that is Tottenham Hotspur, argubly one of the biggest "businesses" in the country, maybe one day they will be able to turn that into one of the biggest football clubs, not a "business".

All that money and i would be amazed if they finish any higher in the league in the next 5 years.... Prove me wrong though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Dammit you got their first.... :p:

Yet more money going into the "business" that is Tottenham Hotspur, argubly one of the biggest "businesses" in the country, maybe one day they will be able to turn that into one of the biggest football clubs, not a "business".

All that money and i would be amazed if they finish any higher in the league in the next 5 years.... Prove me wrong though...
    Well we were making a loss up until a couple of seasons ago. Most of our business activities come from tv revenue and merchandising, both of which rely on the club/team. Sky didn't want to show the 'business' playing football, and fans don't buy shirts because they support the 'business'. The successful business has only recently come about because the team has been improving. And there are bigger businesses than Spurs- Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manyoo and Chelsea have bigger revenues but only the last 2 (currently) have bigger sponsorship deals than us. MANSION didn't invest 34m in the 'business', there are better business investments out there. They could get better returns from interest from savings, bonds, shares etc. The reason that they look to sponsor is to increase their brand both domestically and globally- the only way they can do this is by Spurs having success on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    If "fluking" your way into the Champions' League final is so easy like Liverpool and Arsenal've done, why don't Chelsea or Manchester United do it? Almost as if it's an option.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Bowie sang it didn't he?

ReputationRep:
    MANSION are the Man Utd rejects, right?

ReputationRep:
    It's not easy, it requires a high level of luck to ride those probabilities. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    By definition a fluke cannot be predicted. Anyway, neither of them fluked their way into the final. Arsenal play this relatively boring 451 cattenachio, but it's effective on the continent, not 'flukey'. I think it's unfair to call it flukey because both managers have had a plan and they stuck to it.

ReputationRep:
    Well that sponsorship would have cost them at least 22m pounds more than Spurs, but yes they were rebuffed by Manyoo.

ReputationRep:
    Lol - good post, sb.

Leytonstone and Wanstead was buzzing after that result. I did feel a BIT sorry for Oxford though, as Orient's 3rd goal was ultimately unneccesary for promotion.

But - Let's say Orient get promoted to the Premiership in 2 or 3 years time... will that mean you are no longer a 'real' football fan?

ReputationRep:
    Before any Liverpool or Arsenal fan negs me, I was being sarcastic that we "fluked" it, obviously we didn't otherwise every team would fluke it including FC Thun.

I'm a life-long Liverpool fan myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    By definition a fluke cannot be predicted. Anyway, neither of them fluked their way into the final. Arsenal play this relatively boring 451 cattenachio, but it's effective on the continent, not 'flukey'. I think it's unfair to call it flukey because both managers have had a plan and they stuck to it.
    Any team'd prefer "boring football" to be European Champions, right?

Unless you want to finish last in your group in the group stages, only score 3 goals in 6 matches, concede more than you score, and not even make it for the UEFA Cup. No we don't want UEFA Cup, we're too cool for that.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Any team'd prefer "boring football" to be European Champions, right?
    Unless you want to finish last in your group in the group stages, only score 3 goals in 6 matches, concede more than you score, and not even make it for the UEFA Cup.
    :cool:
    Barca have made it this far without playing boring football, though. Plenty of teams have progressed by playing good football, although it's becoming harder to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    most high tech, big stadium, i'll think you will find wembley, 92,000 seats will be the most high tech big stadium next season.
    But what has that got to do with the Premier league?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    I think attendances might be higher in Germany, but i might be wrong.

EPL, Serie A, and La Liga are the top 3, but its very hard to split them as most people will say the one they watch is the best.

As for match fixing, this has been present in Serie A for the best part of 10 years now. Anyone who knows anything about Serie A would realise that Juve have the refs in their pockets. However this happens in other leagues, but in Serie A it is just so blatent!
    The game in Spain (falls mainly on the plain?) isn't exactly clean either
    There was a report not too long ago comparing, i think, cumulative attendances for the the top two divisions (may have just been the top division actually) in each major European league for the season. The English game came out in top

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.