• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Shevchenko? Kaka? Totti?

Chelsea are also a negative team. Valenica won la liga with negative tactics in 2003, i dont see what your point is? Milan have been the best team in Europe for the last 4 years. I dont see why people make such a big deal about Milans age. Its won them so many things in the past. Experience counts for a lot, and they mix it well with younger players like Gilardino, Kaka, Kaladze etc.
    I wouldn't say Shevchenko and Totti are at the top of their games at the moment. Like say Zidane, Figo, Maldini etc. were the biggest names in european football and had monsterous teams around them. Internationally, Brazil and Argentina are fantastic but aside there isn't that much in Europe. Germany aren't what they used to be, England have little squad depth except in central defence, Holland and Spain have potential. France - who knows what to expect from them anymore. In terms of the premiership I dont think it's that hot either, with the worst United side of the last 12 years managing 83 points this season which would have won the league on occasions before. I cant comment on other leagues to be honest.

I think it'll pick up when the likes of Rooney and Messi have gone past the stage of potential, and are THE players of european football. i.e. I think European football is in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment.

edit, one thing the premiership definitley does have going for it though is that many top young players want to come and play here. Thats only a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    serie A is definately not up there with the EPL and la liga - most players in serie A are old and reaching the end of their careers, the standard of football is negative, attendance is shockingly low - take the champs juve for example who regularly play in front of a half empty stadium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    serie A is definately not up there with the EPL and la liga - most players in serie A are old and reaching the end of their careers, the standard of football is negative, attendance is shockingly low - take the champs juve for example who regularly play in front of a half empty stadium.
    football is negative? Dear me do you even watch serie A. I may aswell say that the EPL is just long ball tactics then!:rolleyes: Juve are the exception rather than the rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I wouldn't say Shevchenko and Totti are at the top of their games at the moment. Like say Zidane, Figo, Maldini etc. were the biggest names in european football and had monsterous teams around them. Internationally, Brazil and Argentina are fantastic but aside there isn't that much in Europe. Germany aren't what they used to be, England have little squad depth except in central defence, Holland and Spain have potential. France - who knows what to expect from them anymore. In terms of the premiership I dont think it's that hot either, with the worst United side of the last 12 years managing 83 points this season which would have won the league on occasions before. I cant comment on other leagues to be honest.

I think it'll pick up when the likes of Rooney and Messi have gone past the stage of potential, and are THE players of european football. i.e. I think European football is in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment.

edit, one thing the premiership definitley does have going for it though is that many top young players want to come and play here. Thats only a good thing.
    Shevchenko has a had a wonderful season both domestically and in Europe. I dont see how you can say he's not at the top of his game? Totti has been injured, but up until his injury was undoubtedly the best player in Serie A this season. OK he has not really done it internationally, but then again neither have henry or gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    football is negative? Dear me do you even watch serie A. I may aswell say that the EPL is just long ball tactics then!:rolleyes: Juve are the exception rather than the rule.
    on bravo my friend - serie A is a load of tripe. They should have there CL places cut cos all the top clubs there are just big names and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    on bravo my friend - serie A is a load of tripe. They should have there CL places cut cos all the top clubs there are just big names and thats it.
    Serie A was not what it once was say 10 years ago, but i'd hardly say it is a load of old tripe. Juve play boring football, but Juve are hated in italy. Milan, Inter, Fiorentina and Roma have all played some great stuff this season. Milan have been the strongest side in europe the last 4 years. 3 teams in the CL quarter finals for 2 years running. Hardly that crap now is it?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a wicked climax to the season!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (>-.-)>)
    Sven has picked a squad of 23 players. Does anyone seriously think all 23 players will step foot on the field? The lad is 17 now, next EC he will be 19 next WC, 21. It looks very likely he will be a member of the England setup then. So is 19 too young for his first tournament? Is 21? Take him now and he gets to see all the backroom scenes of the World Cup. He'll train with the best players in the countries, see what the prepartions are and feel the atmosphere inside the stadium on matchday. He'll develop links with the other players in a way friendlies and qualifiers cannot reproduce and get to know the England staff. We've been robbed of our golden boy, the one who would inject pace and passion into our game. Now we've got another one and he'll boost morale without even stepping foot into the side. The inclusion of Walcott provides benefits for both now and for the future, is the loss of Bent or Defoe really that big a price?
    no offence, but its the world cup not work experience, at the end of the day it really is crucial he can go out there and perform not just soak up the atmosphere. I do hope we are all proved wrong about the lad though

ReputationRep:
    kpg, cheers for clearing up how you progress through to final,

ReputationRep:
    Are there any Arsenal fans in here?

ReputationRep:
    who comes the first?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine they'd be lurking in this thread:
    http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=201225

ReputationRep:
    im sorry about that because i m new to here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Kav-)
    I've always found there to be a distinction to be made between 'a treble' and 'The Treble.' Arbitrary and quite possibly entirely wrong but, I feel, worth saying nonetheless. The Treble, to my mind, constitutes the three greatest trophies: Top-flight domestic League, top domestic cup and Champion's League. For this reason I would appeal to any United fans to use the term 'The Treble' when doing your gloating...

...or just consider me a muppet and take no notice. It's all good.

As to the actual question, I don't believe by any stretch of the imagination that either team 'fluked' their way to the final. Liverpool demonstrated immense character, particularly in their final group match, and the Arse have playing, in my opinion, some stunning football and, as has been pointed out, kept clean sheet after clean sheet. The only team I would say did fluke it to the Title was Porto after that travesty of an offside decision against Scholes in the first knock-out stage. What do I know, though? :p:
    If the Scholes goal was given then it would have gone to extra time and who knows what would have happened then? Anyway if you think Porto was a fluke because of that offside decision, then surely Liverpool was a fluke because of the offside decision against Del Piero at Anfield.

If the Scholes goal was given then it would have gone to extra time and who knows what would have happened then? Anyway if you think Porto was a fluke because of that offside decision, then surely Liverpool was a fluke because of the offside decision against Del Piero at Anfield.
    I think United would have won outright, although I would have to check that. I'm not being hugely serious anyway, just a bit of anti-Mourinho sour grapes. The fact that he was played on by fully three players does irk somewhat though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Before any Liverpool or Arsenal fan negs me, I was being sarcastic that we "fluked" it, obviously we didn't otherwise every team would fluke it including FC Thun.

I'm a life-long Liverpool fan myself
    Lol, I was really close to neg repping you before!

ReputationRep:
    Reports from Sky Sports News show that one of the linesmen for the CL Final was pictured in the last two days wearing a Barca top. I absolutely pissed myself. What was going through his head when he put the top on, idiot. What are your views on this?

ReputationRep:
    Im not a linesman but come on barca!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It was for a photo shoot for a newspaper. They wanted to picture him in a Barca shirt, then an Arsenal shirt (which seems a bit odd for an official to do). The dodgey bit is where he says that he "realised" he didn't own an Arsenal shirt. The paper printed the picture they had of him in a Barca shirt

ReputationRep:
    this is an outrage!!! well not really, he shouldn't have too much of a part to play (with any luck). even so, its a bit dodgy

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.