Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talentless)
    im feeling bad for those arsenal fans who bought tickets at high prices but then again it was a good match dont blame the refree blame henry for not taking his chances!
    Yep, Henry could quite easily have had a hat-trick, arguably, and reasonably so, arsenal didn't win because he missed chances which were definitely takeable. I don't feel bad for any fan who chooses to spend 2-5k in tickets, it was their decision, supply and demand. But all that money on one day, a 90 minute match and how much are the players on the pitch earning per day? hmm a guesstimate works out at around 5k per day!!! and ballack is on 130k per week!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Lets be honest guys, Ronaldinho and Henry didnt play too well. So much for the hype around these 2 at the beginning of the game.
    Just goes to show Barca arn't a one man team, although he's through pass to Eto'o was class and Alumnia did a good job at deflected the shot onto the post.

Eto'o was just brilliant, the best player on the pitch by far. The substitutions by both coaches said it all, Rijkaard's decisions were perfect in bringing in Larsson and Belletti and taking the mediocre Van Bommel off. While Wenger's changes assumed the game was already won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Some refs would probably give the ball when playing advantage and not send lehmann off. I would have preferred that. I don't think that Barca deserved to win that much more than us tbh. Had it been 11 vs 11, I think we really could have beaten them. Barca had the ref on their side for many descisions and should have carded a few of their players and not carded Henry.
    By the way, I thought that Ronaldinho was pretty poor today. His touch was often poor and so were his shots.
    And i thought Henry was poor aswell - he missed 2/3 easy chances. This will no doubt add fuel the fire that henry doesnt play in the big games.

Bringing on Flamini for Fabregas was a bit stupid too.

ReputationRep:
    Click

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fafa~)
    But that's a blatant red. Even Henry agreed.

If some refs didn't send Lehmann off, it'd be a wrong decision.

Do you personally think it wasn't a red card?
    Nope, I believe that it was a red, but might not have been if the ref had played advantage. That sending off ruined the game as a spectacle as the game was going really well till then.

By the way, what do you think of Almunia's performance? I thought that proior to the goals, he played well, but he should have stopped the 2nd goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Refs decisions 95% of the time favoured Barca.
    Yeah, and the 5% happened to contribute to the goal that should never of stood.

This is all crap, Barcelona should have had there goal stood, stop making excuses and accept that barcelona scored two perfectly good goals.

This is all comes about because Arsenal were horribly hyped up, and now people are finding it hard to eat there own words.

The ref had a poor game is something I agree on, but the fact that he was biased is something I definitely don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I cant believe what I have just witnessed, one of the worst referring performances ive ever seen. It made English referees look good. Some disgraceful fouls coming from behind by Barca, Marquez right through the back of Henry no booking, Henry clearly wins ball from the side and gets booked. Constant fouling when we broke away and it took 3 from Oliguer to get booked. Now before you all have a go, it wasnt just against us. We did get away with a few fouls and were lucky to get the free kick for the 1st goal, but the ref was giving them when they clearly wernt. It's frankly a disgrace. How they can employee someone so bad to officiate such a high profile game
    your goal came from a free kick in which one of your players dived....A GOAL

oK, maybe they committed many a foul, but does all that add up to the enormity that is a goal? I can't agree with you. ...i don't agree with your extremist take on things, he really wasn't that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't think that Barca deserved to win that much more than us tbh. Had it been 11 vs 11, I think we really could have beaten them.
    That's irrelevant because it was 10 vs 11, where Barca had the vast majority of the ball and scored 2 goals (well 3 but we all know what Mr Lehmann decided to do) :p: . Arsenal had their chances, in fairness they did well in creating them, but it was Barca pressurising the Arsenal box which innevitably has led me to the conlusion that they deserved to win!! It was slightly amusing how Arsenal were pretty keen to get play going after conceding a goal, contrary to their earlier timewasting. We also saw the best and worst of Eboue- physically great, positionally and mentally suspect.

He's, what, 33? And he's still contracted by Madrid. Chelsea can have him, not that he wants to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fafa~)

Nope, I believe that it was a red, but might not have been if the ref had played advantage. That sending off ruined the game as a spectacle as the game was going really well till then.

By the way, what do you think of Almunia's performance? I thought that proior to the goals, he played well, but he should have stopped the 2nd goal.
    I agree that Henry was pretty poor shooting wise, but some of his runs, and getting past people were brilliant! He played with his heart as well. Noone can deny that. All arsenal players played with so much heart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

If you're going to go by the law, then it was a straight red card.

Common sense? Allow the goal to be scored.

I don't think you could have argued with either decision really, but TBH I felt Almunia did himself justice with his performance, although, for the first goal inparticular, I thought he could have done a lot better.

(Original post by ba_ba1)
    Utter crap. Where the hell did you get 95% from?
    From watching the match, did you see Henry get belted from behind but not go down - nothing. Then he does a good tackle and gets a yellow.. this happened all game.

Arsenal only did anything wrong in 2 situations, and just because those resulted in a goal for us and no goal for them doesn't mean that's worse than about 20 fouls which make little impact.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, that'd be an interesting buy for Chelsea....even more experience. Would he have any trouble settling in the premier league though (as in differences between the Primera liga and EPL)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Puyol caught him on the right shoulder and when you are travelling at that speed it doesnt take a lot to knock you off balance. Yes a dive, but no foul on Puyol
    I'm afraid this sounds like sour grapes. Maybe if i supported arsenal i'd be the same but bringing a neutral take on the game, which i was, it was swings and roundabouts, and arsenal got a free kick, from a dive deco would have been proud of, and scored from it. And a goal is a big event/result, bigger than the cumulative effect of all these small, little, niggly fouls.

ReputationRep:
    If you were tired after playing 60 so minutes with every effort you had, I reckon you would try and waste a bit of time as well. You cannot blame Arsenal for that.
    The players were shattered after playing so long with 10 men, which is why fabregas was sent off.

(Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Yeah, and the 5% happened to contribute to the goal that should never of stood.

This is all crap, Barcelona should have had there goal stood, stop making excuses and accept that barcelona scored two perfectly good goals.

This is all comes about because Arsenal were horribly hyped up, and now people are finding it hard to eat there own words.

The ref had a poor game is something I agree on, but the fact that he was biased is something I definitely don't.
    5% that matters isnt as bad as 95% that does. Ok, so Henry did a good cross to Campbell... does that make the dive worse than if no goal had come?

11vs11 Arsenal looked better, and had some good chances. 90 mins of that and I think they would be Champions of Europe even 1-0 down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

Bottom line is, the ref didn't make the wrong decision.

He could've played advantage and not sent the keeper of, but that's very rare and in any case unfair and wrong for the opposition. (for example, Cech on Baros in last season's semi-final)

So the ref was right to send him off.

I thought Almunia actually played really well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fafa~)

i think arsenal were lucky on that decision. he should allow the goal and send him off.

(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    your goal came from a free kick in which one of your players dived....A GOAL

oK, maybe they committed many a foul, but does all that add up to the enormity that is a goal? I can't agree with you. ...i don't agree with your extremist take on things, he really wasn't that bad
    FFS!!!!

Just because a goal came doesn't make it worse than if no goal came, what Eboue did was equal either way... are you only a cheater if it pays off now? If so Arsenal were worse, if not Barca were. Barca fouled more, just because it wasn't converted doesn't mean it's alright.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal have nothing to complain about. Their only goal was a cheat, and were lucky the Guily goal was disallowed, when Eto'o was fouled. You can't win if you don't score. And let's face it, Barcelona could've scored 3 or so.

It was all Barca, and Lehmann was rightly sent off. You can't have players like that playing. And you certainly can't use the excuse of a cheat like him being sent off.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.