Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it, the ref had two options: Either allow the goal to stand and send Lehmann off, or bring play back and send Lehmann off. Arsenal were lucky that the ref was so eager to do them harm that instead of allowing play to continue, he immediately blew up and gave Barca an attacking free kick and Lehmann a red card. The ref is a Barca fan, he must be.

The game would have been different if Henry had scored his chances right at the beginning and when he was played in by Hleb, but as Wenger said after the match, he's not a machine and he cannot simply score on command. It's unfair to blame Henry for the loss because he played with a hell of a lot of guts, and, like every other Arsenal player, ran himself into the ground for his team mates. Every one of them can be extremely proud of what they accomplished this year, not one player was a tag-along or journeyman, each one played an extremely important part in the teams success, from Senderos to Eboue to Pires to Lehmann to Reyes. All of them should be damn proud that they managed to get to the final, and set two new records along the way.

If you were to lay blame at anyones door, it would be Lehmann. It was a rash challenge, but then without him and his penalty save in the semi final Arsenal may not have even reached Paris, so we shouldn't be too harsh on him. Still, I find myself still wondering what would happen if Barcelona were to come up against an English team in a Champions League knockout tie when they don't have the ref on their side and no players get sent off. It's all very well obsessing over their attacking play, but it's easy to play beautifully when the opposition are a man down. They seem to have a propensity for conceding against 10 men, and had Chelsea or Arsenal managed to keep cool heads and finished the games with 11 Vs 11, maybe Barca wouldn't have even reached the final, much less won the competition.

For all the hype, neither Ronaldinho nor Henry played very well. Henry of course had the excuse of having to run a lot harder and do a lot more defending than would have been necessary had Arsenal remained with a full team of players. Ronaldinho on the other hand lacked his trademark smile, and was not as exciting or free running as he usually is. He had a few flicks and made some brilliant passes in the first half to Guily and Eto'o, but I never got the impression he was ever going to do something amazing. If we're being honest, the most important player in that match was Henrik Larsson. I don't know who won Man of the Match, but Larsson could feel justifiably hard done by if he didn't.

I've got a funny feeling this won't be the end of Arsenal in the Champions League. If they can keep Henry and continue to play the 4-5-1 regardless of who they bring in next year, I think they'll have a really good chance of going far in the competition again. For now they'll just have to console themselves with the knowledge that they played their absolute best and gave themselves the best possible chance of winning, they just came up a little short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    The way I see it, the ref had two options: Either allow the goal to stand and send Lehmann off, or bring play back and send Lehmann off. Arsenal were lucky that the ref was so eager to do them harm that instead of allowing play to continue, he immediately blew up and gave Barca an attacking free kick and Lehmann a red card. The ref is a Barca fan, he must be.

The game would have been different if Henry had scored his chances right at the beginning and when he was played in by Hleb, but as Wenger said after the match, he's not a machine and he cannot simply score on command. It's unfair to blame Henry for the loss because he played with a hell of a lot of guts, and, like every other Arsenal player, ran himself into the ground for his team mates. Every one of them can be extremely proud of what they accomplished this year, not one player was a tag-along or journeyman, each one played an extremely important part in the teams success, from Senderos to Eboue to Pires to Lehmann to Reyes. All of them should be damn proud that they managed to get to the final, and set two new records along the way.

If you were to lay blame at anyones door, it would be Lehmann. It was a rash challenge, but then without him and his penalty save in the semi final Arsenal may not have even reached Paris, so we shouldn't be too harsh on him. Still, I find myself still wondering what would happen if Barcelona were to come up against an English team in a Champions League knockout tie when they don't have the ref on their side and no players get sent off. It's all very well obsessing over their attacking play, but it's easy to play beautifully when the opposition are a man down. They seem to have a propensity for conceding against 10 men, and had Chelsea or Arsenal managed to keep cool heads and finished the games with 11 Vs 11, maybe Barca wouldn't have even reached the final, much less won the competition.

For all the hype, neither Ronaldinho nor Henry played very well. Henry of course had the excuse of having to run a lot harder and do a lot more defending than would have been necessary had Arsenal remained with a full team of players. Ronaldinho on the other hand lacked his trademark smile, and was not as exciting or free running as he usually is. He had a few flicks and made some brilliant passes in the first half to Guily and Eto'o, but I never got the impression he was ever going to do something amazing. If we're being honest, the most important player in that match was Henrik Larsson. I don't know who won Man of the Match, but Larsson could feel justifiably hard done by if he didn't.

I've got a funny feeling this won't be the end of Arsenal in the Champions League. If they can keep Henry and continue to play the 4-5-1 regardless of who they bring in next year, I think they'll have a really good chance of going far in the competition again. For now they'll just have to console themselves with the knowledge that they played their absolute best and gave themselves the best possible chance of winning, they just came up a little short.
    Top notch man!!!!!!! .. Spot on!

ReputationRep:
    A slight follow up on the cameras in sport issue, do you think Eboue should be punished for his shameless dive in the Champions league final? If FIFA/UEFA want stamp out cheating and diving surely that is the only way forward?

Discuss. (oh god i've been writing too many essays again)

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Only as much as anyone else should punished for diving. I like the idea of retrospective punishment for stuff like this, but it'll only be worth a yellow card. I dunno if he was booked in the game so I don't know if that makes a difference. In fact, i don't even know if suspensions carry over to the following season in Europe like they do in the Prem. Anyway, as it stands, i believe this is the case, he can't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    Only as much as anyone else should punished for diving. I like the idea of retrospective punishment for stuff like this, but it'll only be worth a yellow card. I dunno if he was booked in the game so I don't know if that makes a difference. In fact, i don't even know if suspensions carry over to the following season in Europe like they do in the Prem. Anyway, as it stands, i believe this is the case, he can't be.
    Yeah, he was booked for a foul.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, he was booked for an unnecessary, late foul so he would definitely have got a red. The dive should also be punished for its context in that it led to a goal at the end of it.

Now if Arse-nal had won, he should have not only got a red for the dive, but he should have been subject to beats by many enraged Catalans and been car-bombed by Eta just as punishment for his grave act.

It makes any genuine footbal fan frustrated every time he/she watches a replay of a foul - the bloody damn drama that the player acts out just makes you wanna kick his ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taanya)
    Yep, he was booked for an unnecessary, late foul so he would definitely have got a red. The dive should also be punished for its context in that it led to a goal at the end of it.

Now if Arse-nal had won, he should have not only got a red for the dive, but he should have been subject to beats by many enraged Catalans and been car-bombed by Eta just as punishment for his grave act.

It makes any genuine footbal fan frustrated every time he/she watches a replay of a foul - the bloody damn drama that the player acts out just makes you wanna kick his ass.
    Are you on RateDesi? :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithun)
    How do you know that we wanted to sign Ronaldo?
    That was like 5 years ago, I read it in the paper or something.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester United fans = Living in the past

Ever heard of the phrase? You're all familiar with it.

ReputationRep:
    Can we stop all this "the ref was on Barca's side". With regard to the Lehman challenge, it was very cynical (he grabbed hold of Etoos ankle) and the ref therefore had to give him the red card. Giuly may have socred, but the ref already blew his whistle - arsenal players had stopped playing, so it would have been unfair on arsenal to let the goal stand.
    Anyway:
    Eboue's dive was disgraceful. He should have been booked, which meant he would have got sent off later in the game.
    Oleguer got the ball, but he was booked.
    Puyol was pushed over by Henry yet the ref gives a corner.
    Arsenal time wasting without punishment.
    He was poor, but he was in no way biased towards any side.

ReputationRep:
    lazydays, that dartboard is so true, just ignore the arsenal fans, sour graepes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Depends what you mean by recent history...
    Recent history such as..Liverpool are the most successful team in england this side of the century in terms of trophies?

ReputationRep:
    United: One trophy (more than arsenal), 2nd in the league ( 2 positions and 13 points above arsenal). Cheap digs at united fafa, your location is 'somewhere', i'd love to know where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    lazydays, that dartboard is so true, just ignore the arsenal fans, sour graepes
    I think the double they won would disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    United: One trophy (more than arsenal), 2nd in the league ( 2 positions and 13 points above arsenal).
    Interesting how you decide to use Arsenal as a benchmark for your season..
    Surely you should use chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    No, because it happens all the time. Just because the dive resulted in a goal, that's why people are talking about it. Barca players were also diving all over the place resulting in free kicks. The only difference was that they didn't score from any of the free kicks. If Eboue should get punished, so should some of the Barca players.

ReputationRep:
    http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...new+Ronaldinho

he's been dubbed as the next ronaldinho, has an amazing trick called the seal dribble (uses his head rather than feet, so either gets round defenders or wins a free kick as any challenge is a foul usually).. he could be on his way to the premiership, possibly man united. i've been following him for a while, would rather he came to spurs, but any appearance from him in the premiership would be amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Zlatan, ****off u arrogant knobber. I'm glad I support Southampton, we dont get any glory hunting ****wits like you supporting us. You lot whining on here about who is better make me laugh.

Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Ive seen the trick, hes just another over rated south american.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.