Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I think Watford will win, although I hope leeds do it. Only because my mate is a big leeds fan and is going down on sunday. Would be good to get 6 ponts of them next season. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fafa~)
    Is it me, or do Manure think they're a bigger club than they actually are?

I mean, they think they can attract the big players, but they don't.

I really don't see any big names coming.

I was listening to Mancs the other day saying how they think Shevchenko is coming to Manure in a swop deal with Ruud.

Now why on Earth would he want to do that?

Now, name all the big named players that have rejected Manure.

I'll start off with a few;

Marcelo Salas
    Ronaldo
    Ronaldinho
    Michael Ballack
    Dude we're one of the biggest clubs in the world. Simple as. Your anti United threads have little substance and are quite frankly well annoyin. The Premiership makes big names! Already big names always tend to go to Spain and Italy. Better life, weather, cooler stadiums, more support etc etc etc. It's only changed recently with Chelskis mooney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Continuing with the theme, a combination of David Dein and Swedish ineptitude must also have been an important factor in Defoe not being selected .

It's a shame Nottingham Forest were on the radar at that time.

Herbert who? lol
    Herbert Chapman is the name :p: Legendary manager to see Arsenal into their early top-flight season in the early 19's :p: but that's in the past :p:..

ReputationRep:
    Come On Watford!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Kaka has gone missing in alot of games this season, and has often struggled when he is man marked. In a couple of years he can be the best, but he still has aspects of his game to work on.

Riquelme is a complete player now, and IMO is better than the other 2.

ReputationRep:
    I think people choose Kaka based on his name and reputation. Riquelme is unlucky because he plays for Villareal and not a big club... a team would have to be built around him for him to play his best, one of the reasons Barca was disasterous. Internationally it may be okay because Argentina play the 'double-pivot', allowing both him and Messi to thrive.

ReputationRep:
    Murray could get to the semis of wimbledon or some other major tournament by christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    COMMON WATFORD!!!

Their assistant manager (managed Spurs to winnin the Uefa cup etc) is me next door neighbour =')
    Keith Burkinshaw...now that's a big deal! Also won consecutive FA cups.

You must live in a posh area (or Keith isn't as wealthy as I think he is).

ReputationRep:
    I think people choose Kaka based on his name and reputation.
    Hmm i doubt it. Kaka is immense, his potential ability is huge. I love how he glides with the ball with such grace and beauty. A moment of magic from Kaka often leads to a goal. I like to see the ball at the feet of a player and thats why Kaka is my favourite of the 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Kaka has gone missing in alot of games this season, and has often struggled when he is man marked. In a couple of years he can be the best, but he still has aspects of his game to work on.
    Everyone struggles when man marked. Especially when you're picked out at such an early age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)

Riquelme is a complete player now, and IMO is better than the other 2.

i think its fair to say riquelme is the best playmaker out of the three, and maybe in the world, but his lack of pace and his lower goal tally compared to othr 2 count against him.

kaka still gets his fair share of goals, and ballack even more

basically imo:

riquelme is the complete playmaker
    kaka is ideal attacking midfielder (both goals and assists)
    ballack is a workhorse who scores quite alot

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i doubt it. Kaka is immense, his potential ability is huge. I love how he glides with the ball with such grace and beauty. A moment of magic from Kaka often leads to a goal. I like to see the ball at the feet of a player and thats why Kaka is my favourite of the 3.
    Why not Riquelme in that case? I rate Kaka, read the second post in this thread, but he hasn't always produced imo. He had a great first season in Italy but has since faded in and out. I have to agree with Ba Ba 1's theory about man-marking, It seems logical that performance drops as you become more known thus marked tighter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    This could go in here too

Yep he's really gone off to play for Barcelona hasn't he...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why not Riquelme in that case? I rate Kaka, read the second post in this thread, but he hasn't always produced imo. He had a great first season in Italy but has since faded in and out. I have to agree with Ba Ba 1's theory about man-marking, It seems logical that performance drops as you become more known thus marked tighter.
    Performance will inevitably, initially, drop as you're more well known and man-marked and it takes players a season or 2 to get to grips with it. It affects dribblers more than passers ('quarterbacks') aswell. But Kaka will get to grips with it, he's got the ability. Kaka runs with the ball more than Riquelme. Kaka can penetrate the defence with a run aswell as a pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asanonymous)
    i think its fair to say riquelme is the best playmaker out of the three, and maybe in the world, but his lack of pace and his lower goal tally compared to othr 2 count against him.
    All those maradona camparisons at the start of his career were crazy, he's not that type of player. He doesn't need pace, it's cliched but he's a yard quicker mentally. He scores less goals because he tends to collect the ball from all over the pitch, often quite deep. He can score goals, great at free-kicks but it would be stupid having your main man playing so close to the goal when you need him create from deeper positions. Players like Senna are decent enough, but you can't rely on him to create if Riquleme is so far up the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Assume they bought, and play Owen (+ 1 other) up front, and assume Morientes leaves

That still leaves, on the bench:
    -Two of Cisse / Crouch / Fowler
    -Defoe

I just don't see that many players being happy at being left out. Also, this is assuming Liverpool play 4-4-2. With midfielders like Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia, Sissoko, Kewell, Zenden, Hamann, (sometimes) Riise, Kromkamp they could happily play 4-5-1, meaning fewer strikers get their chance.

I see Owen with the toon until at least 2009 and contract issues.

ReputationRep:
    Make posts in the Ultimate Football Thread :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Performance will inevitably, initially, drop as you're more well known and man-marked
    lol that's what I said. He hasn't got back to his performance level of the first season yet.

Kaka can penetrate the defence with a run aswell as a pass.
    Riquelme doesn't need to run through a defense, he can pass which is usually more efficient at unlocking a defence than a run...mainly because it's easier to follow a player than it is to follow the ball.

If anything Riquelme's close control is better than Kaka's...maybe not as direct, but he can easily dribble past a couple of challenges in the middle of the park in order to make space.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone struggles when man marked.
    They said about that with Ronaldinho in the CL final but where was the magic?

ReputationRep:
    heres an interesting twist lets say..

what if we threw stevie gerrard into the equation?

how does he rank with those three?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.