• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaetie)
    yea, but besides ronalidnho, eto'o and messi to provide the silk,
    there's still giuly, deco, larsson, maxi to deliver the steel. they aint as pretty, but they will still give the opponents a hard time.
    When was the last time Maxi played in a Barca shirt? He's been all but absent this season. Larrsson and Giuly rarely start and whilst Deco's a very good player I'd hardly describe him as "steel".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    But the defence has actually got older over the past few years

There's no doubt Milan's defenders are of the highest quality but the game in Italy is slower and more defensive anyway - there are loads of defenders in Italy aged 36/37/38 and more. But they will struggle if they come up against an attacking team with lots of pace from England or Spain.
    But they dont play Cafu or Maldini anymore. The defence has always been pretty old for the last few seasons yet they still reached 2 finals.

Do you even watch Serie A? what you have said is a load of rubbish. The game in italy is defensive? is that why it has a higher goals per game rati than la liga and the EPL? Apart from Maldini, what defenders are aged 36/37/38? Italy has been a dominant force in Europe over the past few years and they have an excellent record against teams from La liga, and a pretty even record against EPL teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    When was the last time Maxi played in a Barca shirt? He's been all but absent this season. Larrsson and Giuly rarely start and whilst Deco's a very good player I'd hardly describe him as "steel".
    Deco does a lot of tracking back for Barca, but the real steel is Motta and Edmilson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    But they dont play Cafu or Maldini anymore. The defence has always been pretty old for the last few seasons yet they still reached 2 finals.

Do you even watch Serie A? what you have said is a load of rubbish. The game in italy is defensive? is that why it has a higher goals per game rati than la liga and the EPL? Apart from Maldini, what defenders are aged 36/37/38? Italy has been a dominant force in Europe over the past few years and they have an excellent record against teams from La liga, and a pretty even record against EPL teams.
    I'd take some of this seriously if you didn't keep confusing Andy and Ashley Cole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I'd take some of this seriously if you didn't keep confusing Andy and Ashley Cole.

oh come on that was obviously a joke. Do you want to reply to my previous post now, or will you admit that you're wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    From SkysportsNews.com:

'There Will Be A Massacre'
    Updated: 09:55, Wednesday March 22, 2006

Neo-Nazi thugs from across Europe are uniting to fight Muslim football fans at the World Cup, it is claimed.

A statement has been published in an Italian newspaper from a member of AS Roma's notorious Ultras hooligan group.

It says neo-Nazis recently met in Austria to plan attacks against supporters from Islamic countries during the summer tournament in Germany.

The statement read: "We are united. At the World Cup there will be a massacre.

"For the first time we are talking and planning together, with the English, the Germans, the Dutch, the Spanish, everyone with the same objective.

"We will all be in Germany and there will be Turks, Algerians and Tunisians. The Turks, we can't stand them. In our country (Italy) there are not many, but in Germany, there are many of those guys there. They are Islamic terrorists.

"We will attack them. They are all enemies that need to be eliminated, just like the police.

"If we make the Roman greeting (the fascist salute) they put us in prison. We will be tens of thousands. Nothing but the English are feared."
    Is it strange that I felt a pang of pride when I read that? We've got all these shaven-headed racists declaring war on Islam, and the only people they are afraid of coming across is Big Barry and his mates from Bradford wearing his too-tight England shirt, Cricket hat and sandals!

ReputationRep:
    Had a friend in school a ten pound bet today, that there will be some of the biggest riots ever seen in football. Nazi marches and the lot. The kid wont believe me.
    thousands of racist skinheads in hitlers HQ and they arent expecting a kickoff?

(Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    is it strange that I felt a pang of pride when I read that? We've got all these shaven-headed racists declaring war on Islam, and the only people they are afraid of coming across is Big Barry and his mates from Bradford wearing his too-tight England shirt, Cricket hat and sandals!
    Let us at 'em!

ReputationRep:
    I predict there will be some of the worst hooliganism ever seen this summer. It is a well known fact that the majority of hooligans are staying quiet in order for them to be able to sneak over to germany and cause trouble. Germany borders many countries. It is easily accessible for all european countries. England, Holland, Italy, Serbia and montenegro, Poland, Ukraine and Croatia all have high hooligan followings.

I have seen many websites discussing germany and there is a big issue surrounding the national front. Anti Islamic followings are huge now for obvious reasons. Irans participation has the potential to cause many problems. It is probably a good job turkey have not qualified because of the obvious friction between them and England.

It will be more than just football hooliganism if this neo nazi stuff does happen. Its gonna be more deeper than football its gonna be like a war. I think deep down the German authorities must be crapping themselves.

ReputationRep:
    The police think they have banned the worst hooligans, but only last week at the Blackburn V Villa match did i see a middle age skin head Villa fan, nail some teenage Blackburn fan with some nunchucks, just for singing a Blackburn song on the way back to the car parks... Some people goto football purely to start fights, some goto watch the football, sadly the prior are the ones who give us all a bad name... and this summer will be the same case.

ReputationRep:
    As per usual, people who know very little about England games/football in general are belieivng the expected media outcry about hooliganism. Ill be in Germany, and ill bet your bottom doller there will be nothing/very little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFC_FOREVER!)
    As per usual, people who know very little about England games/football in general are belieivng the expected media outcry about hooliganism. Ill be in Germany, and ill bet your bottom doller there will be nothing/very little.
    Basing this on what? There is more evidence to claim it is going to kick off big time.

ReputationRep:
    strange, but i sort of feel sorry for germany to some extent. in the sense that they've got a new generation of people who didn't exist in the 30s and 40s, it's almost as if they've now got a clean sheet and can finally break free of any stigma attached from the second world war.

that said, there are always minority groups. i don't know much at all about germany, but i have read things about there being a distinct element of neo-nazism (obviously in minority groups) which has been spreading into society, especially through music.

i'd generally expect the world cup to go smoothly this year, but this minority of neo-nazism should not be dismissed as a fictional group which doesn't pose a threat. i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abu elabed)
    seriouly come on is there a team better than ronaldinho's BARCELONA i mean there the best wat can anyone say other than that ha :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    What happened against Benfica? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What happened against Benfica? :rolleyes:
    They outplayed them and due to some uncharacteristic finishing (or lack of) drew 0-0.

(Original post by endeavour)
    They... drew 0-0.
    Oooooo, terrifying.

I reckon Barca will beat Benfica at home, but lose in the semis whichever they play. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I hate people who get obsessions and complexes about foreign teams and start seeing English teams as inferior somehow. People lick the crack of AC Milan, Barcelona, Juventus, but in the past few years all of them have been beaten by English teams. Our teams are just as strong as foreign teams, and for all the ronaldinho's in foreign leagues, we've got Rooneys' and Henrys' and Lampards' and Gerrards'. It's time English teams got a bit of god damn credit

ReputationRep:
    Barca are one of the strongest in Europe, but they still havent quite reached the heights of last year imo. Some of the their form was special, but still favourites to win the CL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    They outplayed them and due to some uncharacteristic finishing (or lack of) drew 0-0.
    Woah. Everyone is beatable. I wonder if they will emulate the CL winning Porto side. :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.