• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    You think your kit's bad?

http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/java...2917473,00.jpg

We're going to look like the Belles of the Ball with 'GAC' printed across our fronts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Oh come on, over reaction or what.
    Ok, he dived but it werent that bad as some people are trying to make out. Say he hadnt of side stepped the tackle, and stayed up. That was a 2 footed lunge, going right at his ankle.
    its more the coverage that has annoyed everyone. Motson and Lawrenson practically ignored it, while Ian Wright said it was ok to dive, and Dixon agreed with him. Great example to the young kids out there.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slimjim)
    It was a blatant dive last night and yet it gets no mention at all, apart from Ian Wright becoming even more of an idiot if that is possible and saying it's ok because people will do it to us. Had that been a foreign player everyone would still be going mad and yet cos he is english no one mentions it. Owen's dives against Argentina, Rooney v arsenal, Cole had a go last night and Gerrard's blatant one and no one says anything. Yet first game of the premiership next season someone will dive and motd will be going mental, 'we dont want that' , 'it's the foreigners' etc etc. It's pathetic, people like Pires who committed one diver have forever been branded yet english players just get away with it. If someone does it to us in the world cup we will have nothing to complain about cos we are just as bad, it really annoys me.
    :rolleyes: That was pretty stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Ayy it's not that bad! :cool:
    It's odd, the Umbro logo's too high up, and why does the white collar just stop!? Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that was my point i'm sure english players will dive because unfortunately it has been part of the game, but what annoys me is that the media say nothing and then go on a witch hunt as soon as a foreigner does it, or says that the only reason english players do it is because foreigners do, if they dive they should be castigated like everyone else.

The example to kids is terrible, if gerrard, such a hero does it, why shouldnt anyone else, especially if everyone ignores it.

As for the getting injured thing its a laughable excuse, i didn't realise to get out of the way he had to throw himself on the floor then turn around and demand a penalty as if he had been scythed down.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it was a two footed challenge, if he was trying to avoid it he could have just jumped out the way of it as he ran, it is possible to jump and run at the same time, you dont have to goto ground by diving! He didnt, he went for the penalty, luckily justice was done...

It doesnt help that idiots like Ian Wright say its ok to do it, moron....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Is there a clip online somewhere, I was listening on five live and havent seen it.
    Can't find the dive... but there's this.

ReputationRep:
    i respect gerrad for it

if everyone else does it why cant we..... they cant say anything bad about it cuz they all do it

people who complain got to accept that ref said it was a foul.....so its a foul simple as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papz_007)
    i respect gerrad for it

if everyone else does it why cant we..... they cant say anything bad about it cuz they all do it

people who complain got to accept that ref said it was a foul.....so its a foul simple as
    I think that's a rather pathetic position to take, morally

ReputationRep:
    i respect gerrad for it

LOL

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard often has trouble staying on his feet. When he was getting interviewed after playing Luton in the FA Cup last season, Alonso coughed and he went flying.

ReputationRep:
    i respect gerrad for it

ok then cheating is acceptable. Lets have no more mention of the hand of god incident. The ref said it was a goal, so it was a goal simple as

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you'll get many people logging on to a football forum if they don't like it, but anyways, I love football. Reason= the passion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I wasn't happy to see it. But until we go a year with no one diving against England I am not going to complain. And Ian Wright, maybe not the most sensible thing to say on television. At least, however, we finally have a pundit who is passionate and cares and seems to show signs of caring about the game.

ReputationRep:
    I just thought I'd point out this link to other avid football fans

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ve/default.stm

It has videos of reviews of past world cups which are great to relive those memories or...if before your time, to find out what happened . It's great to see what players like Owen were (at least) capable of. Happy viewing!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bothered, to be honest. I'm paying no attention to it. All different sorts of players dive in all sorts of games. I blame it on a moral lapse of an individual player, rather than the "foreign import" theory some people blame.

If we analysed every dive, every weekend it'd last ages. Also if we analysed every moral lapse in a player's life, we'd be here ages. "Let he who is without sin cast for first stone" or whatever the saying is.

The worst I ever saw was Vieira at Anfield when 'pool's Neil Mellor scored to win 2-1. Hamann ran to challenge, pulled out a good six-foot away; whilst Vieira does the typical hands-flying, sprawled-out, melodramatic dive. No-where near. Everyone I was watching with laughed, it was so bad. The commentator even tried to excuse it saying he was "anticipating the challenge" as if it was an incoming 'Chopper' Harris tackle. Not even a booking. Shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    Yes I wasn't happy to see it. But until we go a year with no one diving against England I am not going to complain. And Ian Wright, maybe not the most sensible thing to say on television. At least, however, we finally have a pundit who is passionate and cares and seems to show signs of caring about the game.
    Who dived against england in the last year?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't give specifics but there was diving, from both sides, in England v Argentina last year. I don't like diving either, but unfortunately it has become part of our game. What we need is all 32 World Cup teams to sign up to a 'Code of Sportsmanship' - no diving, no trying to get other players booked, no dissent.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to condemn what stevie did but if he would have stayed on his feet as it was a 2 footed lunge he would be out of the world cup. SO he jumped over and dived we wont be complaining if he did that in 89 min of world cup final!

P.S he should not have done esp as he has said in the press that he doesn't like it and it's creeping into our game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flexiblefish)
    Just thought how many student videos are out there that result from (probable) drunken chats and far too much spare time.

I think this is brilliant myself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcI1P...asgow%20subway

Get a list going.

Love this !!!

Fantastic stuff.

--------

Also, congratulations to the Man Met boys on their overnight fame ! Good to see TSR members being successful !

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.