Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Nothing better than football. Why? Because it brings people together.
    You give me another sport in england, were the passion is so great. Spend a night in the Kop on a european night and you will see just how much the success of Liverpool Football Club means to these ordinary folk. We are just normal people, who have never met and most of us will never meet but for those 90 minutes plus stoppages we feel as if we have known each over our whole life. Hugging random men after peter crouch sends a rocket to put the reds 1 nil up and knock man united out the cup, Doing a jig with 2 rather beautiful ladies after Gerrard sent a pile driver into the west ham net with only stoppages left. Even Sat crying in the kop, after the final whistle blew to send Liverpool to Istanbul only to know that thousands others felt my joy. That is what football is about.
    The pre-match banter in the pub, the sing alongs with your mates, even the heated derbys with manchester united and Everton. This is football. 45,000 scousers invading istanbul, doing the last mile of the trek on foot to the most distant stadium UEFA could of stuck the final at. Those same 45,000 scousers with tears running down their face singing YNWA like every breath was their last.
    But, if i could pin point one momment in my short life that really brought home to me that..'This is what football can achieve'. It was sitting in the kop, on the 15th April 2006, for the hillsborough memorial. Standing up for one brief momment and just looking around. The kop was full, young and old, fans from every single club even 12 from Olympiakos. And everyone had a look on their face, a look of deep regret and sympathy that there will always by 96 people who can never ever attend a liverpool football match again. 96 people who never watched their beloved team bring home big ears for the 5th time. When i realised, that the reason over 10,000 people felt exactly the same as each other even though many were not as hillsborough, witnesessed it or even lived for it, was football i realised how special it is.
    And that is why i love football.

ReputationRep:
    calm down there ^^^^^^^^^^

ReputationRep:
    Thats raw emotion that son!

ReputationRep:
    In the last few tournaments england have been unlucky with injuries, and refereeing decisions undoubtably.

I think, the best england first 11 is easily one of the best 11's in the world. But whether or not that will translate to performances on the pitch remains to be seen. I think england could go all the way and win. I don't expect it, but i do genuinely think they have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me sometimes when we go on about other countries cheating but turn a blind eye to it when one of our players do it.

Fact is, everyone dives. No nation is cheat free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batman)
    ..and Portugal. They've done it before and they could do it again..
    Na I fancy them to get past Portugal, we're gonna beat them eventually. I think our squad is better than it was 2 years ago and they'll learn from the mistakes of 2004.

I also think we can get passed Holland as well, their squad's not as good as it used to be plus they're crap at penalties.

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got any funny fantasy football team names for the world cup or even the domestic leagues. they can be funny,clever etc..

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Funnyfootballname.F.C
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm guessin there must be loads of threads on this already but i can't find em since the search isn't working at the moment, but do you reckon introducing a rule where the refs have to look at an instant replay before awarding a penalty would work to stop players diving eventually?

ReputationRep:
    Our uni house football team was called Michael Jackson's Little Boys... Thats fairly hilarious...

ReputationRep:
    Nicky Campbell.

Like an estranged partner excluded from the birth of his child, Sven-Goran Eriksson and his staff were kept away from Wayne Rooney's hospital scan last week by Sir Alex Ferguson. I half expected the Swede to don an overwashed Superman costume and scale Big Ben in protest. Many would like to shove Rooney's right foot down the Govan gob but, in putting club well before country, Ferguson is no different from thousands of English fans. Are they bothered about Germany? Not much.

In the next few weeks the streets of England will come to resemble Portadown and the Shankhill Road but would you rather your team won the Champions League or England won the greatest tournament of all? Since a section of Manchester United fans started singing "There goes your World Cup" when Rooney was injured at Chelsea I asked that very question of Mark Longdon, the chairman of the Independent Manchester United Supporters Association. He just laughed at me. "I would rather Man Utd won the Worthington Cup than England won the World Cup. I am currently trying to source an Argentina flag." And I thought the Jocks were bad.
    Of course United fans' resentment at how David Beckham was received at other grounds after France 98 lingers like a bad smell and Old Trafford players get a miserable reception from sections of the Eng-er-land following but there is also a huge element of that most divine English comedy - snobbery. Mark says: "You very rarely see supporters of the big clubs at England games. It's club sides who never play in Europe and their fans get a taste of the buzz. Little teams like Bolton and Manchester City. TNS Solutions is their idea of a European tie. Quality."

Ben Dimech from Red Action, the Arsenal fanzine, points out that you'll never spot Gooners On Tour flags. It's all Carshalton, Bromley, Kidderminster and Slough. It is Betjeman's England, not Wenger's. The "real" fans see the England followers as arrivistes - country bumpkins enjoying a fantasy night in the West End with a supermodel before sloping back out to their bearded wives in the sticks. As Dimech points out: "It's a lovely chance for them to follow world-class players."

Both he and Mark claim to be in the majority among committed club supporters. I'd hazard that, when it is 0-0 against Brazil with five minutes left and the boys in white get a penalty, they might just feel compelled to put down the sudoku for a minute but ultimately it is a no brainer.

So where dost thrive unwavering devotion to the noble cause of "this royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars . . . this England"? I dropped a league and spoke to Charles Ross, editor of the excellent Wolves fanzine, A Load of Old Bull, and he gave me none. "I would rather Wolves had finished sixth and made the play-offs than England win the World Cup." But surely he is English and we are talking about the most cherished sporting prize on the planet? Which one is he on? "For proper football fans it is club every time. I have got friends who are England supporters and go to get the points but they would far rather see Wolves do well."

And just like that old sketch about the English class system - "He looks down at me and I look down at him" - Ross added: "But for the followers of the little clubs it is a lovely day out, so good luck to them."

I have an image of a St George's cross hanging near some corner flag of a foreign field emblazoned with the words "Kidderminster Harriers FC". It is surely at outposts like this where the devoted fans reside; those who, like most county cricket followers, have a first loyalty to their country. Would Alan Shepherd, the chairman of the Kidderminster Harriers Supporters Trust prefer Kiddy to be in the Football League or Becks to hold up the Holy Grail.

"No contest." At last, I thought, a true patriot. I was wrong. "It's Kidderminster first, the supporters trust XI second and England a poor third."

"This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this - Kidderminster." So you see, when Sir Alex pees on every lamp-post north of Soho Square, he is being a proxy for "proper" fans. I vow to thee my season ticket.

What do poeple make of this?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather see Everton avoid relegation (again) than England win the World Cup. I couldn't care less how England do in the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    Unstuck this dan and your announcement, just doing a bit of housekeeping so to speak. To many stickies overshadow other threads.

You can start a new thread when World Cup is done to announce winner of sweepstake.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather see Blackburn do well than England...

I dont feel the players in the current squad are a true reflection of the english game...

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather see my country win the World Cup than Spurs winning the Champions League + the Premiership + FA cup + super cup + intercontinental cup all added together.

If Nick Campbell's main argument is the closeness Alex Ferguson has with Rooney and his progress compared to Sven, he ought to know Rooney is officially contracted to Man U and they pay him 50k a week so their concern is well justified considering they want him fit for the start of next season.

But I think he is right that most people in England would rather see their club do well compared to the national team but I don't think this sentiment is shared across the world.

Club over country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    I'd rather see my country win the World Cup than Spurs winning the Champions League + the Premiership + FA cup + super cup + intercontinental cup all added together.
    Same here (well replacing Spurs with Arsenal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Dont need to unlock hun just post!!!

OMG I should have left number 7 to xenon!! Ha ha oh well. I guess I will be coming home early.
    I can't complain!

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've only just been made aware of recently and I find it shocking. Crystal Palace could win everything 100 times over, and I'd trade it all for just one World Cup win, just one. Nothing means more than the World Cup. Maybe this is why we fail to perform at competitions, because the players have the same attitude. But then you don't become a legend by winning the Champions League, 11 people do that every year, you become a legend by winning the World Cup. I'm sure Rooney would rather win the World Cup than a trophy for a club he doesn't even support.

Personally, I just can't fathom it at all. Have your club football, I'll take the World Cup every single time.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.