Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    I think you're taking things a bit to seriously. Every region takes the piss out of every other region, whether it's scousers wearing shell suits, Geordies with no tops on in December, or southerners sitting on their hands and being posh, we all do it to each other.

I think you're being a bit negative with the Liverpool players playing for England as well. Lets be honest, Heskey is and was always ****, and should never have played for England. If Rooney or Crouch were 5 years older he wouldn't have. Crouch got booed because no one thought he was good enough and we didn't appreciate a sub-standard player being in the team. Now it's clear for most that he's proved his worth, and he got cheered onto the pitch at Old Trafford and we all had a laugh with him when he did his robot. Plus, Owen, Gerrard, Fowler, McManaman, Carragher and tons more Liverpool players have all been highly regarded at one point or another by non-scouse fans.
    I have'nt got a problem with a bit of friendly banter, infact it is what football is all about but when it happens on an almost regular basis for example : Bigley dies, liverpool mourns and we are mocked for being attention seeking ****s who mourn the passing of the day
    Then it starts to irritate a bit.
    Secondly, of course loads of players have been recognised for being brilliant for england but ive never seen a person get so much un-called for abuse such as Crouch when he came on. Half the ******s who boo'd him probably didnt even own sky and followed bournmouth or something.
    The main factor is though, i cant seriously be happy when Neville spanks Garcia if he is one on one with the keeper. I couldnt possibly think, well in neville for crunching garcia. It is not physically possible for me.

ReputationRep:
    i dont still understand this country as to why clubs are more important that the nation. But the country that i came from, when it comes about football, talks about brazil and england. We compare players and we talk about which country they came from and not about what club they play for.

Because in my own opinion, a clubs success is very much dependent on its financial aspects. While the national team, is dependent on what a country has got.

Brazil won the world cup 5 times, but their country isnt as rich as the UK.. but its not about money, its about the footballing talent and what people around the world think - not just england.

im not an england fan... nor am i a fan of any football club. But im a fan of english football. =)

Just my opinions though =) im not being offensive or anything, just wanna show my views.

And of course i hate those people who booed crouch and those silly idiots who support england who doesnt have the slightest idea of what football is. =< ignorant scums!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCollin)
    I'd rather see Everton avoid relegation (again) than England win the World Cup. I couldn't care less how England do in the World Cup.

Too right!
    I just can't bring myself to cheer on 11 t0ssers who i despise for the rest of the year. How can any self respecting Evertonian want Gerrard to do well, or for Judas Rooney to get fit in time.
    I just don't understand!

If Phil Neville and Andy Johnson get a game then maybe they will have my support, but until that day it's Everton thats in my heart!

ReputationRep:
    I am a firm believer in players being dismissed from the field if they are deemed to have dived. However, this would require the use of video replays to confirm referee's thoughts..

Hmm..

We're never going to get anywhere with this FA. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if someone is 99% a fair player, the 1% un-fairness is 'ignored'. This is probably because it's most likely to be a one-off thing.

However, if it were someone who's always at it like Reyes/Pires/C. Ronaldo, it's more talked about and is a bigger issue as it is frequent.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard isn't/hasn't been a 99% fair player, though. If he was that worried about the two-footed lunge he could have easily sidestepped or jumped the tackle. I also remember him saying something along the lines of 'foreigners dive too much'. They didn't even mention it in his bbc post-match interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Gerrard isn't/hasn't been a 99% fair player, though. If he was that worried about the two-footed lunge he could have easily sidestepped or jumped the tackle. I also remember him saying something along the lines of 'foreigners dive too much'. They didn't even mention it in his bbc post-match interview.
    Name another match where he dived?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about diving alone. You mentioned fairness, which is a pretty general term. I know he's cleaned up his act somewhat, but his own two-footed lunges were pretty ugly tbh. Listen, I love Gerrard as a player but if you're that good why do you need to dive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    I know for a fact he's been accused of diving on quite a few occasions over the past couple of years. I don't know how you expect people to remember specific matches though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    I'm not talking about diving alone. You mentioned fairness, which is a pretty general term. I know he's cleaned up his act somewhat, but his own two-footed lunges were pretty ugly tbh. Listen, I love Gerrard as a player but if you're that good why do you need to dive?
    You have a good point. I didn't understand why he did v Hungary anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but i'd rather win unfairly, than lose fairly.

ReputationRep:
    Here's 1 anyway disgraceful?

This one I am not so sure about.. There is certainly no contact between the legs, and, if he was being held back, it certainly didn't merit going down in the way he did? here

Hmmm..

Then there's the one against Hungary.. I see a pattern emerging.

Also against Bolton...

ReputationRep:
    Calderstones, Crouchie was getting the piss taken out of him long before he went to Liverpool, believe me. No one takes the piss because he's a Liverpool player or didn't want him to play for England because he played for Liverpool, it was because he hadn't proved his abilities. The rest of us didn't take him playing for Liverpool as enough of a qualification to play for England, in the same way a lot of us are now thinking Walcott probably shouldn't be in the squad and wouldn't be if he didn't play for Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean and I do agree with you in a sense, but I'd still much rather win fairly than cheat to win. At no point in a game can you justify cheating as the only means of victory, so I'd rather it didn't happen at all. However, if Gerrard taking a dive in the final leads to the goal that wins us the World Cup, I'd probably have to seriously question my footballing morals.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I wish Liverpool was another country rather than part of England.

Jeez some people take stuff too seriously, need to take more of a relaxed attitude.

For the majority of the year I cant stand Fat Frank, Stevie ****, Waynekerr or Terry. But at the end of the day they are English, the same flesh and blood as me.

Whilst I can understand why Scouses choose to support Liverpool or Mancs support Utd the argument of club>country doesnt hold because you have bloody all types playing for you. Its not as if just Scousers just play for Liverpool or Mancs just play for Manchester Utd, you have players from all continents.

People point out that they cant stand to support players from other club because of the poor relationships between regions. Utd hate Liverpool yet at the same time have they love Rooney, surely that isnt right.

The Germans and Argies tried to kill us, Mancs/Scousers insulting each other doesnt compare

You cant change your nationality and whilst you cant change your home town, a country is greater than a town, the world cup is greater than the premiership. FACT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Whilst I can understand why Scouses choose to support Liverpool or Mancs support Utd the argument of club>country doesnt hold because you have bloody all types playing for you. Its not as if just Scousers just play for Liverpool or Mancs just play for Manchester Utd, you have players from all continents.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Most players these days are foreign mercenaries who join a club for their individual benefit, whether it be more money or the promise of success. They'll just as soon leave again for pastures greener than stay for a club they have no emotional, geographical or historical attachment to. Internationals are completely different. Players aren't paid and don't get to choose who they play for (for the most part), and their sole reason for playing is glory, recognition, to earn some pride for their country and to see who is the best of the best. Most importantly, they play for and represent their country. When Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney play for England, whether you like it or not, they are playing for and representing you and this country's football. Club differences are thrown aside and players unite under the common bond of nationality.

ReputationRep:
    The first link and the third link are both the same dive against Bolton. There is contact between Gattuso and Gerrard (i think) in th second one. The Hungary one was a dive. Two dives, both disgraceful (slightly comical actually)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funky_moped)
    Too right!
    I just can't bring myself to cheer on 11 t0ssers who i despise for the rest of the year. How can any self respecting Evertonian want Gerrard to do well, or for Judas Rooney to get fit in time.
    I just don't understand!

If Phil Neville and Andy Johnson get a game then maybe they will have my support, but until that day it's Everton thats in my heart!
    That's precisely it with me, whether there's Everton players in the squad or not; Everton are in my heart, England are not. Whether that makes me "unpatriotic" or not I don't know, but it's just the way I am. Personally, the rest of the country's opinions/attitudes towards my city has nothing to do with whether I care about England or not. As much as I could try, I just can't bring myself to cheer on players I've spent the last season screaming blue murder at. It annoyed me to hell when Rooney was still at Everton; I'd sat there all season and watched away fans at Goodison call him all sorts, then the minute he pulled an England shirt on those same fans would be chanting his name. It's so hypocritical.

And Owen Hargreaves... what's going on there!? He's the English Simon Davies, he is. In fact, I'm convinced that he actually IS Simon Davies.

I love Everton with all my heart, and would rather see them do well than England, if I had to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Here's 1 anyway disgraceful?

This one I am not so sure about.. There is certainly no contact between the legs, and, if he was being held back, it certainly didn't merit going down in the way he did? here

Hmmm..

Then there's the one against Hungary.. I see a pattern emerging.

Also against Bolton...

Pretty conclusive tbh. One could also point out that he is worse than a standard diver since the instances all occur pretty much in the box and he's trying to win a penalty.

Your post has reminded me to bring up this just a few weeks back

what was that prick Eboue doing DIVING to get that free kick that led up to the goal?

All the respect I had for Arsenal is GONE

Argh, I am so disgusted by Arsenal! I can't believe it! I actually respected them through my whole life!

DISGUSTING. I AM APPALLED! EMBARASSING.

How could Arsenal do this?!
    Dan's post illustrate how Gerrard arguably did exactly the same thing last year on the same stage, if not against Hungary and Bolton at least.

Is Gerrard a prick?
    Are you disgusted by Liverpool?
    Are you appalled and embarrassed by Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    I also think we can get passed Holland as well, their squad's not as good as it used to be plus they're crap at penalties.
    Indeed, remember italy v holland in euro 2000....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.