The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5700
England already have the 2006 World cup won

haha, england are a pathetic team- they are not one of the best teams in the tournament- brazil, japan(although they haven't got big name players), france amongst others have got WAY more chance than england

on top of that england play such BORING football- the friendly the other day, they were winning 3-1 and yet they kept passing back to the defence instead of entertaining the crowd e.g. giving walcott a chance
Reply 5701
I'm loving this "they tried to kill us" *******s. If little Englander took one step out of his insular, downright silly mindset, he'd realise that little Diego probably didn't want to go and get blown up on some Falkland wasteland, and that Wolfgang most probably was not a raping, pillaging, Jew-massacring Nazi. For what's supposed to be the beautiful - universal - language which does cross borders, rivalries based on past atrocities are both hypocritical and not something I want to be part of. No wonder other countries bemusedly think of England as the bawling baby who'd dropped its rattle.

I may have been born in Croydon, but I do not primarily see myself as English. I follow the World Cup for the spectacle of football; if there were no Liverpool players involved, I would have little interest in the national game.
Win fairly + skill
Win fairly + with luck
Win with luck + cheating
Win with skill + cheating
Be a loser
Be a Chelski fan

i think thats the order :p:
Reply 5703
Yes, I'm so ****ing depressed that Gerrard dived on international duty. Let's sell him, quick snap. I'm sure Everton will have made their £6m bid come Tuesday. I'm sure Parry will want to get rid of him as soon as possible after this revelation.

The only thing he did wrong at Bolton was not doing a Fowler and telling the ref not to award a penalty. That was pretty stupid of him. *******s to England. I'd rather he got labelled a diver than took a 2-footed tackle in the box and a broken leg. As for Milan, make up your own minds.

Yes, Carra should be giving him an earful. Yes, Stevie can be a hypocritical **** at times. But do I really care?

Yawn.
Why football?

It's allegiance. It's passion and tribalism. It’s losing 1-0 in the final minute on a cold night to a crap team. It’s not having won for 17 games and still wanting to be there. It’s feeling so strongly that you can talk about it for hours. It’s feeling so strongly that it can ruin, or make, your weekend. It’s the highs of promotion, of last minute winners, and of big cup draws. It’s the lows of relegation, losing streaks, lack of goals, financial problems and losing your best player to someone with more money. It’s the solidarity, unity and community of the stands. It’s talking to a random bloke about a common joy and feeling a connection, knowing that they understand, even if you’ve never spoken to them before. It’s the tension, the raw emotion, the ecstasy and the misery. It’s that feeling you get when your team scores a goal.
Reply 5705
I hate football, its dull and it means stupid males get paid more money than they know what to do with. Always a bad idea!
Rainy

I may have been born in Croydon, but I do not primarily see myself as English.

Thats not surprising, most people in Croydon aren't English

Can I ask why you care so much about Liverpool if you weren't born there, it's not your hometown and you aren't English?
Reply 5707
Liam The Eagle
Thats not surprising, most people in Croydon aren't English

Can I ask why you care so much about Liverpool if you weren't born there, it's not your hometown and you aren't English?

I'm born in England, my parents were born in England, I live in England, I'm of white, European origin. Technically speaking, I'm as English as they come. But nationality, to me, does not define who I am. There are more important things to me.

Family and friendship ties, really. I'm not a scouser, but I love the city and club. I have done ever since I sat through my first game (1996, Anfield, vs the Barcodes), painted a Liverbird, a wonky looking Carlsberg and 'McManaman 7' on the back of a nice, new, red t-shirt (mom wasn't too happy), and went to my first home game (I'm struggling to remember which this is).

I haven't lived in Croydon in many years, and even when I was there there was little affinity to Palace. I see Molineux as my second club.
He's on the Newspapers, TV, he's on leaflets, books, Bed sheets, even TV remotes.. On the newspaper there was a frontpage headline "Rachel snatches Beckhams hat".. I mean wtf. Who cares if she took his flippin hat..
Reply 5709
The media are absolutely pathetic. This Beckham hat story was the first headline in this week's Rochdale observer.
Everyone dives, Gerrard isnt the only english player who does it. Get over it.
PS. Gerrard didnt dive for the final, Gattuso has hold of his shirt and he is running at speed.
Economist
Sometimes I wish Liverpool was another country rather than part of England.

Me too.
Economist

People point out that they cant stand to support players from other club because of the poor relationships between regions. Utd hate Liverpool yet at the same time have they love Rooney, surely that isnt right.

Not my fault mancs are hypocrites.
Economist

The Germans and Argies tried to kill us, Mancs/Scousers insulting each other doesnt compare

Clearly never gone to OT when liverpool play man united
Economist

You cant change your nationality and whilst you cant change your home town, a country is greater than a town, the world cup is greater than the premiership. FACT

Personal opinion
Reply 5712
Hi,
Here you have the doal from yesterday's Poland-Columbia match.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=67031318205777068644

It will be the goal of the year in 2006 !!!
Reply 5713
I predict T&T will win the world cup and England will be knocked out by Sweeden as Sven lets them win.
The World Cup is much more important than the Premiership. For one, only premiership club supporters care what happens for the most part, where as the World Cup Final is watched by a billion people. A world cup winning team is far more significant than a Premiership winning team.
Like i said, personal opinions.
Reply 5716
Exactly. There is no "FACT" amongst this. All personal prefererence.
If the Premiership happened every 4 years there might be a case for it...imo.
Reply 5718
I'm curious as to why this hasn;t already been started.
What do you think about England's final match before the world cup? I am still not happy about England't defending... Good goals by Crouch and I thought that him and Owen linked up really well. I'm glad Owen finally got his goal. One thing about Crouch is that he produced a few really wayward passes which will not be good in the world cup.
Beck's crosses proved to be crucial for england.
Overall, I think that england should stick to 4-4-2, but I will be curious about how we will play against the really good teams.
Btw, crap penalty by Crouch.
Also, Lennon didn't seem too impressive, but then again, he only got 20 so minutes.
what was the score?

Latest