Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I still remain unconvinced by England's performance which is why i doubt that they'll win the world cup. Today's display against Jamaica proved that the defence isn't at it's greatest, in particular when playing against sides with pace.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    6-0

ReputationRep:
    heheh yeah, good point. I guess premiership fanatics see the footballing world as "england" which it is not

ReputationRep:
    If we discount the two own goals, that sort of win was expected when playing against a struggling non-qualifying team for the world cup. The peformance was nothing special at all. Little has been gained from the match i feel apart from a confidence boost for the England team.

regards
    --marty

Hmm...
    • First and foremost: Jamaica are fairly shocking
    • Carradonna is still a central defender
    • Owen & Crouch works
    • Sol Campbell is, well, poor
    • Ferdinand can have a game without arsing up
    • The defense was still fairly unconvincing
    • The Gerrard/Lampard balance was there for the first 10, then went out the window
    • Lampard literally had rings ran around him by Championship quality opponents on defense duty, and was then left on his arse
    • Crouch's penalty conversion this season has been 0/2
    • Peter's still crap in the air, but a hat trick and some nice touches and flick-ons make up for it

ReputationRep:
    Well...
    • Owen still isnt fit, but he lasted 90 mins and scored which is good enough for me
    • Beckhams Crosses are magnificent, and will be a major asset for the world cup
    • Jamaica are really crap, or stoned.
    • Another great game for crouch. Showed all his qualities in this game: Route one for the 1st goal and a good finish for the third goal.
    • Carragher played decent at right back, but he is a centre back and that is clear.
    • Gerrard and Lamps went missing when they were forced to play that role together
    • Owen and Crouch is a partnership that can work, does he still have that buy out clause
    • We dont miss rooney as much as the media want us to believe
    • A holding player is still needed
    • We have great defenders, that cant work well together.
    • Crouch has 0/2 pens this season, but i still back him to slot one in a pen shootout.
    • My bet on crouch to finish top goalscorer is getting better and better

ReputationRep:
    xavier2k3 - Nearly all of the top teams have had unconvincing recent friendlies so these matches will have no effects when the world cup starts.

About the match, first of all we have to make clear that England were playing a sub-average team but the thing that stood out, irrelevant of the opposition, was the effect a 4-4-2 has on the squad. Gerrard was non-existence and it was Lampard who was involved in most of the attacks. They did not do a good job of changing duties, so Gerrard was left out of the game. England can't afford that in important games.

Beckham's distributions were very good, Crouch took his chances and Owen scored that important goal he needed, but these goals were against a team who gave them a silly amount of space which they will not get in the world cup. J.Cole and Carragher also had a good game while the defence was solid but were not threatened in many occasions.

I think Sven will keep this formation except if they're playing a very good attacking side, in that case he'll use a holding midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    Xenon - the most negative post I have ever seen from a native of a country that just won 6-0.

Jamaica weren't the strongest opponents, but they impressed me more than Hungary. I thought we stepped up our game ten fold, and hopefully it will put an end to the 4-1-4-1 nonsense. I was one of Crouch's biggest doubters last year, but he has impressed me - he is finally looking like a goalscorer. He gets a chance and he takes it.

Gerrard was rather quiet, and I guess it is the only drawback of the 4-4-2, that Lampard is more prone to attacking so Gerrard has to stay back more. But then it is good that we have a midfield that realises the essence of teamwork: covering each other rather than going for personal glory. Defence was a bit shaky at times, but on the otherhand, we still have Neville to come back in (Carragher was steady though). And on the otherhand, Jamaica did come close from long range, but how many chances did they have from short range or set pieces? I cannot remember one.

Promising. I hope it doesn't the trigger the inevitable "we're shoe in for the cup" comments. But it was a big boost.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad Crouch got a hat-trick. I've always been quite fond of him to be honest and think he's a lot better than people give him credit for. So that should prove something to all the Crouch haters, 7 caps 5 goals. Only 2 behind the likes of Gerrard now.

Because the opposition were a bit crap people don't justify the fact that England still played very well. I thought they were excellent for the first 10-20 minutes, exactly the tempo of the game they always should start with.

ReputationRep:
    I tell you... they don't make 'em like they used to.

Sitting here at my computer listening to 3 lions, getting in the mood for the World Cup.

Football songs just aren't as good anymore... whatever happened to the good old days of Vindaloo?!

ReputationRep:
    Can't some rabid fan just shoot Sol Campbell before the World Cup so we can have a semi-decent defence?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed on Crouch. I remember when Orient played Pompey in the cup when he was still with them, maybe 5 years ago. He was absolutely shocking, our 5'2" midfielder was beating him in the air, and he just was not in the game at all. Looking at him today he is a completely different player: good in the air, brilliant first touch, goalscorer's instinct, competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    Xenon - the most negative post I have ever seen from a native of a country that just won 6-0.
    Lol, I thought that the positives were obvious, Owen scoring, Crouch a hatrick, scoring 6 goals... so I thought I would focus on the negatives.

What do you guys think about England missing 2 penalties in the last games? I don't think that Crouch will be one of the designated penalty takers-at least that's what the commentators.

ReputationRep:
    If it went to penalties, I would expect Owen, Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard to all take one, presuming they're still on the pitch at the end of the game. Then it would depend who else wants one. Joe and Ashley Cole are the two that stand out to me - wouldn't feel confident with Crouch. None of his goals seem to come from pressure moments: they're either tap ins or moments of unexpected genius.

ReputationRep:
    I think England won.

ReputationRep:
    I know. I can hardly imagine fans singing Embrace on the terrace! It's a nice song, but if you want fans to singalong, keep it simple.

Vindalooooooo.....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. Although I found out something funny when I was In germany last week. They have ripped off 3 lions and changed the words! The cheeky *******s!

You can't read to much into the performance. It was a training game, played at half pace. The only things to be bothered about is owen getting another 90 mins and crouch getting more confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Good win but it will be interesting to see us play teams that do not exhibit the finer qualities of Jamaican-style defending. I would be mortified to see my non-league team defending set pieces like they did today

Crouch played very well and is getting better every game. Do we really need Rooney that badly? Was good to see Owen score but tbf, the keeper couldn't have made it much easier for him

(Original post by iamthe1)
    haha, england are a pathetic team- they are not one of the best teams in the tournament- brazil, japan(although they haven't got big name players), france amongst others have got WAY more chance than england
    Japan? Do you know what football is? Only Brazil have more world class players than England. We have just as much chance of winning it as france, holland, argentina, italy, spain, germany etc. Are you a bitter jock?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.