Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonadeX)
    I personally wouldn't have given the first of Crouch's goals to him - It bounced off the outside of his right leg and took a MAJOR deflection off a Jamaican player before going in.
    It bounced off his leg. LOL

If it were any other player on that pitch it would've been excellent movement in the box to lose the marker, meet the ball and trying to guide it towards the goal. I agree it probably wasnt going in but "it bounced off the outside of his right leg" is un-necesarilly harsh.

I hope the hatrick isnt chalked off though, obviously. It wasnt THAT bad of an own goal and let him have his 15 minutes and all that I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    It bounced off his leg. LOL

If it were any other player on that pitch it would've been excellent movement in the box to lose the marker, meet the ball and trying to guide it towards the goal. I agree it probably wasnt going in but "it bounced off the outside of his right leg" is un-necesarilly harsh.

I hope the hatrick isnt chalked off though, obviously. It wasnt THAT bad of an own goal and let him have his 15 minutes and all that I say.
    If it did get taken off (which I think would be really unfair on crouch), Crouch would really be kicking himself about missing the penalty.

ReputationRep:
    I still can't believe Crouch is a key member of our World Cup squad - this time last year he was lucky to stay in the Premiership, and now most of our hopes rest on him? Madness.

Sol needs to be played as much as possible, just because his skull is like granite - when that Jamaican player crashed into him head-first, he went straight down while Sol didn't even seem to feel it. Having said that, he wouldn't be my choice of first-team player, I think he's had his day but he's useful if need be.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I thought that I would start this thread, and ask people to name as many memorable hatricks scored by an england player. Once i have a fair few, I will get people to vote on which is the best england hatrick scored by an england player. (Btw, should I include Geoff Hurst in the poll? I'm pretty ceratin that he would definitely win if I did).

Geoff Hurst vs Germany World Cup final 1966 (I had a feeling later that I had typed 1066, and I was right. Lol)
    Michael Owen vs Germany 5:1 thrashing World Cup qualifier 2001
    Paul Scholes vs Poland Euro 2000 qualifier
    Shearer vs Luxemburg 1999
    Wright vs San Marino 1993
    Platt vs San Marino 1993
    Gary Linekar vs Poland 1986
    Peter Crouch vs Jamaica 2006

So guys, any more memorable hatricks which you think should go on the poll? (here is a list of all players who have scored a hatrick since 1882 http://www.englandfootballonline.com...MtchChron.html)

ReputationRep:
    I hate it, cos I always associate it with Baddiel and Skinner, who piss me off. I'm probably about the only one in the country though

ReputationRep:
    3 lions is the only song that when it is played i'm in the mood for the world cup. Theres something about that song - its magical !

ReputationRep:
    Stan Boardmans World Cup song is the best one for this years tournament

ReputationRep:
    Football still hasn;t come home since 1966 . Come on england!!!

ReputationRep:
    Van basten made all the Dutch players take penalties after training, they all scored, but van basten missed his!

The dutch squad may not be as talented as previous squads, but Van Basten has made them play as a team (rather than a bunch of individuals like they have done in previous tournaments) and got rid of the big ego's. They have a good mix of youth and experience.

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may have been given something like this already, there's quite a few going round by email.

It's a pretty good Excel spreadsheet that can keep track of the tournament or act as a predictor. (file format: .xls)

right click here - save as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonadeX)
    I personally wouldn't have given the first of Crouch's goals to him - It bounced off the outside of his right leg and took a MAJOR deflection off a Jamaican player before going in.
    It was going in, and the rule states if the shot is on target befoe the deflection the goal stands. Just ask Lampard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    (here is a list of all players who have scored a hatrick since 1882 )
    Your typing this the same day as the Jamaica game, and you still miss out Crouch?
    Owen wins it for me though.

ReputationRep:
    We wont win the world cup, even though we've won these friendlies fairly convincingly we just dont look anywhere near a good enough standard. Unfortunatley Michael Owen just doesn't have what it takes anymore, he's just lost so much of his game over the past year or 2. Crouch is still ****e, don't care what anyone says but Michael Ricketts would have bagged a few past that Jamaica defence, dont think that annoying celebration makes me think you're a cult hero crouch, you're still a ****!

and also, Stewart Downing, what the **** does he do? He has a good cross on him fair play but other than that I dont get his game, he doesn't beat a man, he doesn't work hard he just is very over rated.

I just worry that we seem to be over relying on set pieces and crosses by Beckham that will simply be sussed out by any team that has been organised

ReputationRep:
    as i've said before, I saw Crouch play for Dulwich Hamlet against Aylesbury a few years back, he was **** then and subbed off at half time, how can he possibly be good enough for England. it pains me it really does

ReputationRep:
    Beckham is ****ing brilliant, wont hear a bad word against the lad, we are gunna rely on him so much this world cup it's unbelievable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    Crouch is still ****e, don't care what anyone says but Michael Ricketts would have bagged a few past that Jamaica defence, dont think that annoying celebration makes me think you're a cult hero crouch, you're still a ****!
    Seriously, drop the agenda.
    I dont understand what you want the lad to do. I didnt see Rooney banging in the goals in the friendlies he played..
    I dont give a feck is crouch is a cult hero, he is a favourite with the scousers and thats all i care about. The majority of england followers are clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Seriously, drop the agenda.
    I dont understand what you want the lad to do. I didnt see Rooney banging in the goals in the friendlies he played..
    I dont give a feck is crouch is a cult hero, he is a favourite with the scousers and thats all i care about. The majority of england followers are clueless.

I couldn't give a ****e what Liverpool fans think of him, Liverpool get giddy about anything, no big deal. It's not as if criticism is unfounded, He scored 8 goals this season ffs and he's started a hell of a lot of games for Liverpool this season. He couldn't even cut it in the ryman league

ReputationRep:
    Crouch: Not just about goals. People mark him cause he's tall giving Owen more space.
    Adds another dimension to our game for when one touch isn't working.
    Excellent first touch.
    As shown in past 2 games, has developed an instinct for where the goal is.
    Is good in the air.
    Has recently become a good finisher.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like watching england, but i'm pleased crouch got 3.

May prove some of his doubters wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Without Rooney, Crouch will be our top scorer in the group stages i think, he is a completely new type of player for the defenders to have to deal with, i think he is the tallest striker in the tournament apart from Zigic (6 foot 8), defenders wont know what to do with him.

He has excellent first touch and is good in the air, so we can play it along the ground or over the top, he gives us that extra option, i like the style of play we tried yesterday and i like Crouch, given the option of strike partners for Bellamy at Blackburn, i would put Crouch near the top of the list because his link up play with someone short and quick, is potentially lethal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.