• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

Geoff Hurst vs Germany World Cup final 1066
    Geoff Hurst was a real soldier in that game .

ReputationRep:
    Koller's 6'8 as well. Crouchy's only the third tallest striker!

ReputationRep:
    Only happens because there are mugs out there who buy papers and magazines to read that ****e. Supply and demand and all that

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: lol

I've met Geoff Hurst

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    I couldn't give a ****e what Liverpool fans think of him, Liverpool get giddy about anything, no big deal. It's not as if criticism is unfounded, He scored 8 goals this season ffs and he's started a hell of a lot of games for Liverpool this season. He couldn't even cut it in the ryman league
    If he couldnt cut it in the ryman league why the **** was he signed by the champions of europe and one of the best managers in europe right now? If yer going to give a player some stick at least back it up with some insightful comments instead of plucking ****ing rediculous comments randomly out of the air because someone you dont like has done well.

And yup, Jamaica were really poor. Which is why Beckham, Gerrard and even Paul Robinson each popped in with a couple of goals. It was also why Michael Owen was scratching around for a yard of pace and trying to retrieve a semi decent first touch while looking a pale shadow of his former self and devoid of any confidence.

Thank god for football supporters like you

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its obviously going to be Geoff, yea - but Michael Owens is the only other one against "serious" opposition...not much of a contest really...

Crouch is going into the world cup in better form than most strikers from any team. fact.

ReputationRep:
    He couldn't even cut it in the ryman league
    Yes, that is why he has played at all the highest levels and scored.
    Premership -Managed just under a goal every 2 games after breaking his duck. (rooney went 12 games without scoring to by the way)
    Champions leauge- started nearly every game, seing only two defeats
    World club championship - 2 goals
    International- 5 goals

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunatley Michael Owen just doesn't have what it takes anymore, he's just lost so much of his game over the past year or 2.
    And where on earth did you get that from? The guy has not played for months through being injured. The reason he isn't playing as well is because he is coming back from injury. He barely played for newcastle because he got his injury, but scored many goals for them. He was brilliant for Real Madrid. He hasn't lost it-he's just had injuries and hasn't had time to come to form yet.
    Once he's had a few games, and overcomes his fear of injuries, his proper game will be back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    Japan? Do you know what football is? Only Brazil have more world class players than England. We have just as much chance of winning it as france, holland, argentina, italy, spain, germany etc. Are you a bitter jock?
    Japan aren't that bad- I think they have a good chance of finishing 2nd in their group.

I think Italy would be above England in the world-class stakes, although it's pretty subjective. Buffon, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Gattuso (in their respective positions), Totti and Toni imo. Then you have guys like De Rossi and Gilardino who are very special (cassano isn't even in the squad). Argentina are also in the fortunate position of not having to select Zanetti and Samuel who many would argue to be world-class. I don't mean to be a doom merchant but we need Rooney, all the best teams have a world-class number 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    Its obviously going to be Geoff, yea - but Michael Owens is the only other one against "serious" opposition...not much of a contest really...
    That's what I was thinking. If I do a poll, Hurst will win because his hatrick won us the world cup. Owen wasd the 2nd best. But wasn't linekar's hatrick against Poland important to get us through the group stages or something?

ReputationRep:
    When I was young my father said, 'Son, I have something to say', and what he told me I'll never forget until my dying day, he said, 'Son, you are a Rotherham fan, and that's the way to stay'. Happy to be a Rotherham fan, until my dying day.

As a Rotherham fan, even as a girl, those words are so emotive, so meaningful. Even when I was young and I didn't really know about football, I knew I was a Rotherham fan. With a Millers-supporting father I considered nothing else but the red and white of Rotherham United. That people pick their club team on nothing but success and cool-factor is a view which fails to acknowledge the excitingly passionate lower leagues of this beautiful game.

In footballing terms Rotherham United is my constant. It is a community which is always there. I can reminisce on past-glories, a fabulous goal, a beautiful moment. I can listen to shared stories of the raw emotion which governs a team that, though nothing special to outsiders, is ‘the greatest team the world has ever seen’ to us.

What started out as something to do with my Dad turned into the burning passion of something which is a part of me. When my team, smashed on the financial rocks, went into the final game of last season needing a draw to avoid relegation I was agonised. Miles away at University I spent an uncomfortable week of waiting. Waiting to get that train home for the big game and knowing that there was nothing I could do. Previous years of perusing message boards and staring hopefully at the league table to know just what we needed repeated themselves. I went to that final game knowing that as long as we drew, and Hartlepool failed to win by six clear goals, we were safe. Knowing gave me something to do, something to think about and reassure myself with, it filled the time. As soon as it came I wanted it over. In the 2 hours of desperation that followed I sat, shaking, nauseas as I watched my Club fight for their lives. We were loud and supportive, not really singing this time but screaming, screaming our boys on. It was horrendous. The euphoria of that 0-0 draw was beautiful. Hugs were exchanged, smiles broke onto faces, tears of the frustration and that following ecstasy pooled in eyes.

This year I came close to losing my Club. Without them, what would I do? Without them, there would be a void, not just for me but the few thousand of that community I share. Phone calls to my dad would have chunks missing, hours deliberating over the fortunes of our beloved team would be lost. Club football surrounds us always, it is constantly there, changing and exciting. August to May is taken up by league football, June involves the signing of players and July the pre-season. Club football is ever present. Country is not. For me, England comes and goes. When they play I feel the passion, I want my country to win and I am consumed by the game. When they don’t play I don’t miss it. I don’t spend my time waiting excitedly for the next time I see the team play.

At Rotherham we don’t really do much winning, but to live without Rotherham United or to live without the England team? I want a happy medium of the two, but if pushed, I want Rotherham United to remain. I am a real football fan, and I don’t need anyone else to tell me that.

You are my Rotherham, my only Rotherham, you make me happy when skies are grey, you’ll never no dear how much I love you, so please don’t take my Rotherham away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Japan aren't that bad- I think they have a good chance of finishing 2nd in their group.

I think Italy would be above England in the world-class stakes, although it's pretty subjective. Buffon, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Gattuso (in their respective positions), Totti and Toni imo. Then you have guys like De Rossi and Gilardino who are very special (cassano isn't even in the squad). Argentina are also in the fortunate position of not having to select Zanetti and Samuel who many would argue to be world-class. I don't mean to be a doom merchant but we need Rooney, all the best teams have a world-class number 10.
    Argentina didn't pick Samuel and Zanetti (and Veron) to keep harmony in the squad rather than because they weren't good enough.There's nothing "fortunate" about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Argentina didn't pick Samuel and Zanetti (and Veron) to keep harmony in the squad rather than because they weren't good enough.There's nothing "fortunate" about it.
    Well if a team can go to a WC without Zanetti and Samuel they are in a fortunate position, there's no two ways about it. I don't recall Zanetti causing any problems for anyone, he's the model professional. Maybe Pekerman wanted to put his mark on the team, but I don't think he did it for squad harmony in the case of Zanetti and Samuel.

ReputationRep:
    With a midfield including Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and Joe Cole, how can you say we don't have a world class setup?

ReputationRep:
    Le Tissier, England B game just before World Cup 98. How he was never included in that squad I will never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    With a midfield including Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and Joe Cole, how can you say we don't have a world class setup?
    If that's directed at me i think it's mis-placed, because i didn't say England don't have a 'world-class setup'. I said I think Italy have more world-class players than England. We have 5-6 w-class players imo, Italy 7-8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    If that's directed at me i think it's mis-placed, because i didn't say England don't have a 'world-class setup'. I said I think Italy have more world-class players than England. We have 5-6 w-class players imo, Italy 7-8.
    It was at post #28 Sorry, should have quoted!

ReputationRep:
    Crouch did not score a memorable hattrick, Ive already forgotten what two of the goals looked like, the volley was the only above average one really.. Ugh.

Lampards goal was very good though, on the subject. And yes Hurst kinda wins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Yes, that is why he has played at all the highest levels and scored.
    Premership -Managed just under a goal every 2 games after breaking his duck. (rooney went 12 games without scoring to by the way)
    Champions leauge- started nearly every game, seing only two defeats
    World club championship - 2 goals
    International- 5 goals

Dunno where you're getting this good premiership record from, how can you base stats on just the times when he was scoring, it's like saying Sunderland are good appart from when they lose.

The facts are that the likes of Luke Moore, Darius Vasell have the same ammount of goals as him, everyone says Defoe has had a **** season but even he, along with Shola Ameobi and Andy Cole have scored 1 more. Then you've got Beattie, Harewood and bent who are all English strikers who have scored more than him, in fact 3 english midfielders have scored more than him this season.

Everyone says Kevin Davies is ****e but he's only scored 1 less, it's actually laughable that you can say he has a good scoring record if you ignore a great goal drought.

Anyone can adapt stats how they want to make payers look good, it would be like me saying Francis jeffers is amazing because he has a 100% record at international level, 1 game 1 goal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.