Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Well if a team can go to a WC without Zanetti and Samuel they are in a fortunate position, there's no two ways about it. I don't recall Zanetti causing any problems for anyone, he's the model professional. Maybe Pekerman wanted to put his mark on the team, but I don't think he did it for squad harmony in the case of Zanetti and Samuel.
    There's a lot of friction between the Inter group of Zanetti, Samuel and Veron and the likes of Sorin. They resent Sorin being captain. The bad blood in the Inter/Villareal CL game showed this. Had those been in the squad there would probably have been fights etc in training and even on the pitch.

It would be a bit like, say, Neville and Ferdinand absolutely hating Rooney and Gerrard. If they were left out we'd cope but I wouldn't describe it as fortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    If he couldnt cut it in the ryman league why the **** was he signed by the champions of europe and one of the best managers in europe right now? If yer going to give a player some stick at least back it up with some insightful comments instead of plucking ****ing rediculous comments randomly out of the air because someone you dont like has done well.

And yup, Jamaica were really poor. Which is why Beckham, Gerrard and even Paul Robinson each popped in with a couple of goals. It was also why Michael Owen was scratching around for a yard of pace and trying to retrieve a semi decent first touch while looking a pale shadow of his former self and devoid of any confidence.

Thank god for football supporters like you

:rolleyes:
    haha i'm now unsure whether you are arguing or agreeing with me, did you not see my post about Michael Owen, Owen is not anywhere near close to being as good a player as he was, he's lost so much to his game yet he still scored past Jamaica. bringing Paul Robinson into it just heightens your obvious stupidity, so if a team was **** they'd let in a goal from a keeper would they? **** off would they.

Thank God for football supporters like me? what you mean realistic, or do you genuinley believe England have any chance of winning this WC with a Crouch/Owen partnershp.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, what about 2nd place then?

(Original post by RobbieC)
    Crouch did not score a memorable hattrick, Ive already forgotten what two of the goals looked like, the volley was the only above average one really.. Ugh.

Lampards goal was very good though, on the subject. And yes Hurst kinda wins.
    Volley into the middle of the net, with the keeper neither coming or going? With such a looping ball, I could have connected with that equally well. How can you call Lampard's "very good", and call Crouch's 3rd "above average"? The irony is, Lampard would never have had the opportunity for that sort of goal had Peter not been playing. Wasn't a great hat trick, no, but he was a menace and he took that third very well, imo.

Tbh, I've seen very few of those choices, as the first real competition I remember watching for England was Euro 96. Of those I have seen, it has to be the welsh midget vs. Germany.

ReputationRep:
    serious narb I think it's back to sleep for you.

(Original post by Klinsmannic)
    If that's directed at me i think it's mis-placed, because i didn't say England don't have a 'world-class setup'. I said I think Italy have more world-class players than England. We have 5-6 w-class players imo, Italy 7-8.
    Your either overestimating italy's quality or underestimating england's. Englands world class players: terry, ashley cole, gerrard, lampard, rooney, beckham, owen. Thats 7 straight away- and i probably should add gary neville to that list as well.

Italy: Buffon, Alessandro Nesta, Francesco Totti, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro. Maybe Toni.

They both have the same amount of wc players more or less. With Italy having a better defence (only just though) and England have a better midfield.If Rooney plays our front line (with owen) is also better as well.

ReputationRep:
    Crouch...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimez)
    Crouch...
    Love it, thanks. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    There's a lot of friction between the Inter group of Zanetti, Samuel and Veron and the likes of Sorin. They resent Sorin being captain. The bad blood in the Inter/Villareal CL game showed this. Had those been in the squad there would probably have been fights etc in training and even on the pitch.

It would be a bit like, say, Neville and Ferdinand absolutely hating Rooney and Gerrard. If they were left out we'd cope but I wouldn't describe it as fortunate.
    That feud was between Veron and Sorin, they argued in the first half and squared up at half time. Zanetti and Samuel were overlooked by a coach wanting to show who's boss by picking his own squad (other notable ommisions Lux, Demechelis, Duscher). I think Argentina are pretty fortunate they have players like Burdisso, Heinze, Milito, Coloccini and Cufre to fill in (whoever Pekerman feels best fits into his system). A back 4 of Sorin, Ayala, Heinze and Coloccini is up there with the best defenses imo, hence the fortune in not having to pick Zanetti and Samuel.

ReputationRep:
    We were ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    Your either overestimating italy's quality or underestimating england's. Englands world class players: terry, ashley cole, gerrard, lampard, rooney, beckham, owen. Thats 7 straight away- and i probably should add gary neville to that list as well.

Italy: Buffon, Alessandro Nesta, Francesco Totti, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro. Maybe Toni.

They both have the same amount of wc players more or less. With Italy having a better defence (only just though) and England have a better midfield.If Rooney plays our front line (with owen) is also better as well.
    I would add Gattuso and Pirlo simply because they are the perfect pairing in Italy's double pivot system and I don't think too many players could do as good a job. Away from the system i would still class Pirlo and Gattuso as being world-class in their own right. It's subjective. I wouldn't put Beckham in that list even though he's a good player, same with Neville. World-class is an ambiguous term, it has a different meaning to different people. Italy and England are comparable, yes, but in reference to the guy that said England have the 2nd most world-class players (ignoring Argentina and Italy) I take exception.

Edit: Owen hasn't done anything this year (not his fault really) so I don't know how much weighting he has, bearing in mind he's not fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    serious narb I think it's back to sleep for you.
    because I disagree with some people, yeah good 1. Some england fans are seriously so deluded it's funny

Beckham is definitley world class. There are not many better right wingers in the world than him. I think world class means they are the one fo the best 3-4 players in that position in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    We were ****
    You weren't the best side ever but credit to the team they kept going and didn't put thier heads down despite it all. The 9,000 fans were also fab to keep up the atmosphere to the end despite the result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I'm tired of Beenhakker's hype - I keep reading him bigging up T&T and saying how they just want to beat England.
    They lost quite badly to the Czech Republic since then. Spiffing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know there's already a thread for best player ever...but in your opinion who's the best player playing CURRENTLY for England?

Methinks Steven Gerrard. Not only is he a great player, he also doesn't come across as being an arrogant c0ck like Beckham or that smarmy twit from wherever (Brazil?)...Rinaldo.

Answers on a postcard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I know there's already a thread for best player ever...but in your opinion who's the best player playing CURRENTLY for England?

Methinks Steven Gerrard. Not only is he a great player, he also doesn't come across as being an arrogant c0ck like Beckham or that smarmy twit from wherever (Brazil?)...Rinaldo.

Answers on a postcard...
    Rooney, when fit.

At the moment, Joe Cole and Beckham are in fine form. Two really important players in the world cup in my opinion. If these two don't perform, well, we're screwed frankly.

As for Gerrard, he is quite possibly the most miserable, least enthusiastic person/player on the face of this planet. I wish he'd stop looking and sounding so bloody miserable, especially when in the media spotlight. Jesus man, have some enthusiasm. Beckham isn't arrogant...how exactly is Beckham arrogant?

ReputationRep:
    If Gerrad played with a DM, perhaps he could be... (on paper/playing for liverpool id say he was) but for england bleh..
    J.Cole is on fine form + England's more creative player.. Beckham has had a couple of great games recently
    Robinson is pretty solid too

Based on recent performances: Gerrard, Joe Cole (in that order). Rooney when fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    Some england fans are seriously so deluded it's funny
    Deluded like refusing to see a players ability?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.