Terry is the most important I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Terry is the most important I think.
    No element of bias there then Robbie :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Rooney, Beckham, Robinson, Gerrard, Terry
    impeccably precise answer to the thread topic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I still not a big fan of Joe Cole, he can be selfish, he loses the ball more than he should. He does have flashes of brilliance though, and no one else can play as well on the left wing for England.
    He doesnt play on the left wing though, he recieves the ball near the half way line on the left and hes always moving further and further into the centre with his runs. All of his crosses are more like long ballls forward rather than an actual cross. I reckon he'd play fine on the right wing (not better then becks) or in the centre of the park (maybe).

But as youve pointed out we simply dont have anyone better. Stuart Downing hasnt proven himself for england, but i would have liked to have seen a longer speel in the friendlies. No doubt that will change when mclaren comes in.

ReputationRep:

That made my morning!
    Although would had to be that Polish keeper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    add Gattuso and Pirlo to that list as Klinsi said. Italy have a world class backup goalie in Peruzzi. Del Piero and Inzaghi are arguably world class forwards aswell.

You think Gary Neville is world class? by that logic, we may aswell say Zaccardo and Materazzi are world class for Italy.

As for the Zanetti/Samuel exclusions - its nothing to do with inter-villareal tension - cambiasso, cruz and burdisso were all included in the squad. Pekerman loves the younger players since he coached them at youth level and therefore favours them. Only 4 of the players in the squad played in the last WC. I think Pekerman doesnt want many players associated with that failure. I think Zanetti and Samuel are big losses for Argentina - absoloutely crazy that they have been left out. I have to disagree with Klinsy, in that their defence will leak goals in the tournament - coloccini and sorin are not proper fullbacks and both have had mediocre seasons. Ayala and Heize have had fitness problems all term. Players like Burdisso, Cufre and Milito are talented defenders, but their lack of experience at int. level will be a problem.
    It IS to do with the Villareal-Inter tension. But Cambiasso, Cruz and Burdisso aren't part of the same clique as Veron and co.

I'm not just making this up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    It IS to do with the Villareal-Inter tension. But Cambiasso, Cruz and Burdisso aren't part of the same clique as Veron and co.

I'm not just making this up.
    Cambiasso was hurling abuse at Sorin at half time in that match. Veron and Sorin have a rivalry, but this does not involve Javier Zanetti. There was no tension between any of the Villareal players and Zanetti during the match. Zanetti is a model professional and he is not one to cause tension in the camp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I like the way he threw Robinson in to keep it light humoured

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I still not a big fan of Joe Cole, he can be selfish, he loses the ball more than he should. He does have flashes of brilliance though, and no one else can play as well on the left wing for England.
    Same here, he cant cross with his left boot. Any decent right back is just going to show him the outside door, cuts back far too often. Still I dont think we have a better option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Same here, he cant cross with his left boot. Any decent right back is just going to show him the outside door, cuts back far too often. Still I dont think we have a better option
    I would be ideal on the left-wing, being ambidextrous myself. I can never quite understand why so few footballers are reasonably ambidextrous. As a youngster i loved football, playing it and watching it, and trained my otherside, my left foot skills....why the hell do only so very few players in the football leagues do the same as what i did :confused:

As for tennis and badminton, i never tried or chose to train my otherside. My left in football is almost as good as my right, and this should be the case with so much more footballers...they should train and eradicate any weaknesses to their game, turn such weaknesses (which effectively being one-dimensional is) into a strength. I can think back to a Fulham team two or so seasons back, inundated with left footers at the time...but none of them had a right foot at all.......

ReputationRep:
    I would be ideal on the left-wing, being ambidextrous myself. I can never quite understand why so few footballers are reasonably ambidextrous. As a youngster i loved football, playing it and watching it, and trained my otherside, my left foot skills....why the hell do only so very few players in the football leagues do the same as what i did :confused:

As for tennis and badminton, i never tried or chose to train my otherside. My left in football is almost as good as my right, and this should be the case with so much more footballers...they should train and eradicate any weaknesses to their game, turn such weaknesses (which effectively being one-dimensional is) into a strength. I can think back to a Fulham team two or so seasons back, inundated with left footers at the time...but none of them had a right foot at all.......
    I know what you mean, i am by no means ambidextrous but I like to think im comfortable on my left. But Shearer is living proof you dont need a good left boot I guess

I know what you mean, i am by no means ambidextrous but I like to think im comfortable on my left. But Shearer is living proof you dont need a good left boot I guess

Add rivaldo to that list.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth Poland reckon they have 3 goalkeepers better and fitter than Dudek is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    but players could gain such a competitive edge...it continues to amaze and bemuse me that there are so very few two-sided players. It's very poor and i'd have far more respect for them as players and for the wages they collect, if they did better themselves in this way.

ReputationRep:

Lets say, you wish to train your weaker side in football, be it the left side so it's almost as good, if not equally as good, as your 'natural', strong right-side.

Compare this football example to doing the like at tennis or badminton. Do you feel it would be harder to do so, that is, gaining a reasonable degree of ambidextrity at the sports tennis or badminton than at football. I would argue, yes from personal experience...but there's arguably flaws to this. Do you think ambidextrity blossoms easier when younger than say when your body has matured and is too set in a mindset for adjusting, training the weaker side???

When young i did attempt to play left handed at tennis, but my arm simply wasn't strong enough to hold the racket that sturdily, let alone take some misguided swipes at the ball. Whereas, it was easier to train my left foot/side on the football basis....

ReputationRep:
    That was the order i rate them in, i dont rate them all equally. :p:

Ie 1. Rooney, 2. .... etc etc

I think Robbo is a great player, one of the best goalkeepers in the world, not just England.

England has a habit of producing quality keepers and they often get overlooked... If we didnt have him between the sticks it would be David James, i feel much more confident with Robbo there!

ReputationRep:
    I think you would have to start early to develop the same strength on both sides of your body, the thing with legs is that they are both used for running, so they are both generally strong - my right foot is more powerful than my left, but i can hit a left foot shot or pass, as well as a lot of people with their right, and through practise, i am more accurate with my left than right foot! For instance, i will take free kicks left footed even though i am a right footed player - because i have more control with left... With arms however, only one arm is used for sport mostly - the stronger one, the other one gets very little practise at hitting or swinging in a sport like tennis. With lots of practise and weights etc i imagine it is possible, but the best bet will be to start early - its like writing with your left hand if your right handed, the co-ordination is initially not there, that is where the practise and lots of it, is needed.

ReputationRep:
    Stan Boardmans is quiality.
    I also like who do you think you are kidding jurgen klinsman.. but j ust cause its funny lol

Three Lions is and i think always will be the ultimate world cup song. Its simple (Easy 4 lots to sing it) and catchy. Embrace have gone and written a proper song.. and be honest, who wants a proper song? just want something to remmeber the summer by

ReputationRep:
    *listens to 3 Lions*

*gets goosebumps*

COME ON ENGLAND!

ReputationRep:
    Terry. Not only is he a great defender but a HUGE threat from set plays.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.