Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Although Rooney, when fit, is probably our top player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDuck)
    Terry. Not only is he a great defender but a HUGE threat from set plays.
    yea that big head of his is a real threat :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    Add rivaldo to that list.
    Rivaldo was left footed

ReputationRep:
    arsenal over england any day

been brought up going to highbury and very involved with the club... whereas england is just constant hype and a lot of nutters for fans

i'd prefer arsenal win a penalty than england the world cup!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Like i said, personal opinions.
    Very true. I am sure, however, that you'd find many more personal opinions stating that to win the World Cup is far more important than winning the Premiership. The World Cup means so much more to so many more people than a Premiership title. It would give future generations of English people something of which to speak of and be proud. It's all about scale. In 30 years time I doubt the youth of Blackburn would be able to successfully recite a decent number of the title winning side of the early 90s. However, should England return from Germany victorious, I've no doubt they'd be able to name each and every player representing England, all in a heartbeat.

That is not to demean the Premiership title. As a born and bread Portsmouth fan to win the Premier league in my lifetime would make me happy beyond my wildest dreams (however unlikely this may be). Winning the World Cup would make the entire nation happy. It would bring people together, people who spend so long wanting something which so few desire. Perhaps it is because I am not a fan of a big club, like a Liverpool or a Manchester United, but it would mean everything to me if my country prevailed at the World Cup.

That said, I fail to comprehend why this perennial 'club vs country' debate must resurface. I'll be a proud Portsmouth fan until the day I die and nothing could ever replace the feeling I get walking from Fratton Park to my house on a matchday, happy/scared/nervous/excited/optimistic all in a matter of seconds. As the season reached it's climax, I, much like the female Rotherham fan, spent every waking hour thinking about our relegation battle. Trying to find how much truth there was to the rumour that Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce are best friends, for example, knowing that should the battle go right down to the wire that they were playing each other final day. To say it consumed my life would be an understatement, I have followed Pompey at the wrong ends of the second tier, on freezing nights in desolate nothern outposts, feeling as if my world depended on the outcome. If that was crucial, then so was our Premiership survival and dreams of the big time.

I guess what i'm trying to say is why can't we have it all. Why can't that Rotherham fan have the elation of their final day survival and a World Cup win. Why is it alwyas, "i'd put my club ahead of my country". I ask, do we have to?

ReputationRep:
    The other keepers are all first choice goalkeepers for their clubs. That's important at international level for keepers since no coach will take to a tournament one who's been sitting on the bench all season.

ReputationRep:
    I watched them take off in their plane, but on the other hand that BBC news presenter kept frustrating me...He kept saying stuff like "when england reach the final on 9th July in Berlin", "when england finish first in their group", I mean are these people psychic.. and the helicopter, it was following the plane so closely 5 minutes after take off. Just let the team get on with their preparation. You can't pressure a team to win the world cup.

I can't imagine what will happen if england don't win the cup. I am sure they will get past the last 16 but the quarter final is going to be the big one, Argentina, holland, mexico or portugal will meet england...

ReputationRep:
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I want a happy medium but if someone forced me to chose... The thing is, no-one is forcing me. England play their important games now when Rotherham aren't playing, and when Rotherham play England rarely do. On the occasions that games do clash it'll always be Rotherham, but the lack of importance of a clash game for England (it rarely happens and when it does it's a friendly or, at most, a qualifier) means that it's barely a decision at all, barely a choice to make. In those situations it is club over country, but that's not answering the bigger question. Undoubtedly it would be harder for me to have Club football taken away from me than International football, it'd have a massive impact on my life, but 'lose your Club or lose your national side?' isn't something I'm going to be asked seriously. Similarly the question of whether I'd take a Rotherham Championship win over a World Cup win is entirely hypothetical. The likelihood of course is that I'll get neither. When it comes to next Saturday though Rotherham won't be there, England will, and so there is no contest at all. Good post, Top_Cat.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth Poland reckon they have 3 goalkeepers better and fitter than Dudek is a joke.
    Might be a joke, but why would they include Dudek when he's been getting 0 minutes for Liverpools first team?

ReputationRep:
    Google for 'bigot football club' and hit I'm feeling lucky

Google for 'racist football club' and hit I'm feeling lucky

Google for 'greatest football club' and hit I'm feeling lucky

Google for 'most cheating football club' and hit I'm feeling lucky

Google knows its stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Might be a joke, but why would they include Dudek when he's been getting 0 minutes for Liverpools first team?
    I know why he was'nt picked, but surely an unfit dudek has to be better than 3rd chouice polish keeper.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney definetly.His tireless,creative,has an excelent right foot,dribbling,crosses and pretty much noone can knock him down.

ReputationRep:
    Google for 'P rick football club' (Without the space) - and hit I'm feeling lucky

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Typical Kraptalk..

ReputationRep:
    Type gREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB and click "i'm feeling lucky". So true.

ReputationRep:
    Google for 'failure' and hit I'm feeling lucky

ReputationRep:
    erm I get www.manutd.com for greatest football team. which is *******s and made me sad.....

surely judging by the nature of "Greatest Football Team" and your location you got lfc.tv?

ReputationRep:
    rofl the failure thing is funny. Its like googling french military victories on im feeling lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -- Dan --)
    Google for 'failure' and hit I'm feeling lucky

:toofunny: God, I've heard about things like that, but didn't think any of them were actually true :rofl:

Google for 'bigot football club' and hit I'm feeling lucky
    Meh, Celtic are just as bad

To keep with the trend, Google for 's***e football club' (without the censor, obviously) and hit I'm feeling lucky :p:
    Not that I feel anything against the team - hell, I even supported them when I was younger.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.