Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    No, Southgate shouldn't be allowed to be Boro's new boss. Equally, Roeder shouldn't have been given permission to take over at Newcastle. If you're not qualified, you can't do the job; it's as simple as that. If you want to be lorry driver, you need the right license. If you want to be a surgeon, you need the right medical training... I could go on.

I appreciate that neither of those examples are relevant to football, but the principle is exactly the same. Being a good player with vast experience means nothing; you need to be trained in man management, coaching techniques and everything else that goes with the job. If they allow unqualified people to take the job, then they might as well start letting random guys on the street apply for vacant posts.

ReputationRep:
    I understand its all a laugh, his dance is all for a bit of fun and i understand where those who have this view are coming from, however:

I find it bizarre that this close to the world cup people are talking more about his robo cop dance which makes him look like a **** than what he does on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Because at the end of the day, football is there to entertain us, and it was funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    No, Southgate shouldn't be allowed to be Boro's new boss. Equally, Roeder shouldn't have been given permission to take over at Newcastle. If you're not qualified, you can't do the job; it's as simple as that. If you want to be lorry driver, you need the right license. If you want to be a surgeon, you need the right medical training... I could go on.

I appreciate that neither of those examples are relevant to football, but the principle is exactly the same. Being a good player with vast experience means nothing; you need to be trained in man management, coaching techniques and everything else that goes with the job. If they allow unqualified people to take the job, then they might as well start letting random guys on the street apply for vacant posts.
    Why shouldn't they allow random guys apply? It's not like the club will take it seriously anyway.
    You say you need man management, coaching etc, Roeder seems to have these despite not having a bit of paper say that he has. I agree the examples you gave aren't relevant to football (then why include them?) because those are necessary to stop people getting killed. Ultimately, if the club thinks a guy can do a job, they should be able to give the job to whoever they want and, as LH said, live with the consequences.

Edit: Roeder applied for the course before but couldn't do it because of illness (brain tumour?). It's not even a course you can fail. You get the qualification at the end regardless of whether you've learned the relevant skills (man management etc...)

ReputationRep:
    He obviously saw the goalie off his line

ReputationRep:
    I can't name a single German currently playing for the national team who tried to kill me or one of my loved ones. Bastian Schweinsteiger got a bit lairy in a bar once, but he was all mouth and no trousers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I don't see why FIFA or the FA should be involved in this - it's Boro's decision. If he does badly they have to live with the consequences.
    It's true.

But the LMA should either enforce the rules properly or totally do away with them.

The Roeder/Southgate issues are different ones. I dont think Southgate has ANY management badges, let alone the UEFA Pro Licence A that is needed to manage in most top divisions around the world. Roeder was on his way to taking the course and completing it but due to ill health took himself out of football completely.

Also, the top managers DO have the badges. Managers who didnt have the licence when the rule was first brought in have until 2010 to obtain it. In 2010 any manager in the top flight without the necesarry badges will be ineligible to continue to be manager. And the likes of Ferguson and Wenger (not sure how you can include Redknapp in that list but ok!) DO have their badges, whether they worked for them in this country or the continent.

As far as I'm aware, it's not an FA issue, it's one with the LMA. Unless of course Gibson called in a favour for the FA to intervene because he let McClaren leave so easily...

Obtaining these qualifications doesnt mean it automatically makes you a better manager but as I said, either stick to the rules intitially laid out or do away with them if people can be so easily fast-tracked like Southgate.

ReputationRep:
    I think its excellent Watford are back in the premiership. Slightly biased view as I'm a supporter, but fans of all different clubs have been saying to me over the past few months that Watford (out of the play off lot) are the ones who deserve it the most, as Aidy Boothroyd has brought them from "zero to hero" in just a year.

I'm not quite sure on whats going to happen next year, but I think Aidy can keep them up in the Premiership. We started as underdogs last season, and we're going to start as underdogs again, so we might have a chance

ReputationRep:
    I think he should do it less often though... It would then be more amusing and spontaneous... it kinda gets a bit awkward when he does it more than once a match!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I suppose I'm not the only one making bets before the world cup gets off to a start... Hows everyone feeling about the bets they've made already??

I think I'm gonna stake around 30 quid, maybe 3 bets for a tenner, or 6 for a fiver each.

Going to make two outside bets: first that Zlatan Ibrahimovic is top scorer of the tournament, and second that Sweden win the world cup... or MAYBE that they get to the final... cos if both pulled off, that would be amazing odds for that.

Also gonna make a few more sure thing bets, such as Klose is Germany's top scorer etc... maybe staking a bit more for that, though bloody Ballack could score a ton I guess. Hmm, Im gonna weigh all this up against the odds.

What bets have you guys made then??

ReputationRep:
    Actually, you'll find that Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger do not have the badges. As only half of the managers in the league actually have them, mainly the managers who have worked abroad, e.g. Mourinho, Benitez, Hughes.

i think Southgate will do alrite.

ReputationRep:
    Bet on Ballack? He won't even play in the first game so that's a handicap straight off. And personally, I don't fancy Germany to get passed the quarter finals, so that would limit him to just 4 matches.

And I think if you're betting on Sweden it really is a waste of money. Swedish football is not in it's best state right now, and I actually expect them to finish 3rd in their group! Certainly, the way the draw is doesn't help them. The semi-finals could quite easily be Brazil, Argentina, italy, and either England Germany. As good as Sweden are, I cannot see them beating any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Sweden will probably top their group. If their defense can hold out, and Freddie gets service to Zlatan, who the hell is going to stop them scoring? Very few. I think Sweden are being underestimated, so much so, that I might get fair odds on them just making the quarters...

But what I meant with Germany is that Ballack is possibly a threat to Klose being GERMANYS top scorer, which Id think was a safe bet to be honest.

Not sure about tournament top scorer though... hmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure about Sweden, because they played their full strength team in their last friendly and could only draw at home, booed off the pitch etc. I would imagine Sweden would come second in the group, (well that's also a hope!) and would then most probably face Germany, so is it really worth betting for them to win the World Cup?

No bets for me this year, absolutely skint. Although I might stick a tenner on a match and just play with that, and when it goes it goes.

ReputationRep:
    My bets:

To Win
    £100 - England
    £20 - Ivory Coast

Top Scorer:
    £5 Drogba

Might have a couple more later. The £100 might seem a lot but I will probably 'lay off' my bet when we progress at lower odds depending on what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Sweden will probably top their group. If their defense can hold out, and Freddie gets service to Zlatan, who the hell is going to stop them scoring? Very few. I think Sweden are being underestimated, so much so, that I might get fair odds on them just making the quarters...

But what I meant with Germany is that Ballack is possibly a threat to Klose being GERMANYS top scorer, which Id think was a safe bet to be honest.

Not sure about tournament top scorer though... hmmmm.
    Zlatan has a had a pretty poor season tbh, and I think Larsson will take the pens which reduces his chances of being top scorer. I also think Paraguay are being underestimated.

(Original post by Economist)
    To Win
    £100 - England
    £20 - Ivory Coast

Top Scorer:
    £5 Drogba
    I reckon Serbia will pip Ivory Coast or Holland to 2nd place.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I reckon he should only be allowed to do it after scoring a 2nd goal...will spur him on - I'm sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zlatan)
    Actually, you'll find that Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger do not have the badges. As only half of the managers in the league actually have them, mainly the managers who have worked abroad, e.g. Mourinho, Benitez, Hughes.
    Sorry, you're right. Partly anyway. Wenger does, Ferguson doesn't - my mistake. I think Managers with 10+ years of working experience got a special diploma awarded to them anyway.

I do think its a bit un necessary in general but either needs to be enforced properly or scrapped.

ReputationRep:
    I know there is a thread about his break already, but i wanted a seperate thread for all his condolonces etc as i am going to print them off and send them into the club. It may seem a little thing, but knowing he has the support of the fans will be very lifting i feel.

Best of luck djib, while the media have questioned your ability no-one can question your passion. You have come back from an injury like this before, you can be strong and defy the odds. Keep your chin up and remember you have the backing of the fans,players and coaching staff with you at all times. As the song says..You will never walk alone. Take hope from istanbul that nothing is out of reach and i hope to see you don that Liverpool shirt again in the not to distant future.
    Best of luck djib.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.