Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

(Original post by Alexii)
    I generally tend to support the most entertaining team.
    What a gay thing to say. No seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    There was an episode of Room 101 where Sir Alan Sugar (or 'Sralan' as they call him) said something similar - that there is a kind of political correctness amongst footballers where they end up not being able to say anything meaningful (although some of them can't do this anyway). Clearly the opinions of the tabloid press are more important than the actual sport ('we woz robbed' rubbish).

Another thing is that whenever a pundit says England are playing well, we lose. If they say we are playing badly, we win comfortably.

Ever noticed how defeat is always the manager's fault?

Never mind, England will probably reach the semis and then lose to the eventual winner, and from there it's only a few minutes' wait before the Euro 2008 qualifiers begin and the whole tedious, anticlimatic process begins again...

IT'S JUST A GAME!!!
    Indeed, i know i'm going all scrooge on your World Cup party, but I just know we won't win the World Cup, there are probably about 3 teams better than us. It would take alot of luck if we did win the cup, and frankly, this luck has deserted us on each occasion in the past when we've needed it the most. Penalty shoot-outs, our disallowed goal in extra-time/golden goal against Portugal in Euro 2004....

If we play Brazil at some point, no matter how well we defend, they will score. Or if it's an open game, they will simply win by outscoring us. I guess i put things into perspective much more than many, as often the case that materializes, there is always the anticlimax, and that is us going out, often in the quarters - i don't expect much different this time around. Maybe it'd be far more exciting for myself to go self-deceiving myself, along with the millions of people doing this...:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I did feel a stream of patriotism when Owen scored against Argentina. It was magic. I also felt it in '90, with Gazza and his tears. My second favourite team is usually Italy

ReputationRep:
    lal,y get behind a bunch of overrated idiots,gerrard and rooney and rio are the best 3, joe cole thinks hes c.ronaldo but hasn't got the looks or 6pac or skill,the managers as effetive as a lemon ;/ and the supporters say we'll win it this time every 4 years....
    Argentina quere huis guess what it means numer uno Argentinos

(Original post by tesh^^)
    lal,y get behind a bunch of overrated idiots,gerrard and rooney and rio are the best 3, joe cole thinks hes c.ronaldo but hasn't got the looks or 6pac or skill,the managers as effetive as a lemon ;/ and the supporters say we'll win it this time every 4 years....
    Argentina quere huis guess what it means numer uno Argentinos
    No the supporters say we CAN win it everytime. Not we WILL. This season Joe Cole has pissed all over c. ronaldo. fact. Our defence is one of the best if not the best in the competition, as is our midfield- why can't we win it. Only Brazil have a better squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jose)
    Have just checked and Villa is actually 33/1 for the golden boot and Spain have Saudi Arabia and Tunisia in their group. hmm...
    And if they win their group as one would expect, they'll most likely face one of Switzerland, South Korea and Togo. Why Villa though? Doesn't Torres start?

ReputationRep:
    /\ true... and i wouldnt want England to get thrashed!! i wanna see sweden get thrashed like ****!! i dont care who thrashes em! I just don't like em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    And if they win their group as one would expect, they'll most likely face one of Switzerland, South Korea and Togo. Why Villa though? Doesn't Torres start?
    Yep, Torres will start up front in a 4-5-1, but his odds will be much shorter.

ReputationRep:
    I think the plan at the moment is Torres and Villa to start - I got this from the Sky sports website, Guillem is their spanish dude

"GUILLEM SAYS: David Villa will surely start in the World Cup and I think he would be the best goalscorer in the tournament. I was thinking about this after his hat-trick - he needs Spain to make it to the semis but even so, he will be scoring our goals, although the system Luis uses benefits the other strikers, too. Spain are not as dependent on Villa as Valencia. But six goals from one striker can win you the title of the best striker in the World Cup and he is capable of that."

Also Torres doesn't actually score that many in the league but is at shorter odds.

ReputationRep:
    I think Adriano is a good bet for the top scorer, although I would really like to see how Ronaldo is performing before I make any proper judgment on Adriano.

Jan koller is worth a sly few quid at his price.

ReputationRep:
    I am rocking out to Three Lions as we speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    I think Adriano is a good bet for the top scorer, although I would really like to see how Ronaldo is performing before I make any proper judgment on Adriano.
    Brazil tend to share their goals, so stay away from a brazil bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    £10 england win @ 8/1
    £10 rooney top scorer @ 16/1
    £5 Engalnd/Trinidad 1st and 2nd @ 33/1
    £10 milan baros top scorer and czech republic win @ 380/1
    £10 england to beat paraguay 3-0 @ 12-1
    Where the hell did u get 16/1 on Rooney? Youve been ripped off! You can get 65-1 on betfair.

(Original post by jose)
    ave toyed with the idea of Luca Toni for top scorer @ 16/1 or David Villa @25/1. Also Brazil to win + Ronaldo top scorer @ 20/1. Tempted, but haven't decided yet...
    Toni is a good bet imo

ReputationRep:
    Had it on all day

ReputationRep:
    It's about time I posted in this thread

Clever bets:

Klose to be top scorer of the tournament &/or top scorer and Germany to win
    Crouch to be top scorer of the tournament &/or top scorer and England to win

Germany/England/Sweden/Argentina/Portugal/Italy to all win their first matches.

Serbia to qualify from group stages

England to score over 9 tournament goals

Dunno how much on each yet, gotta research who offers the best odds for each aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I've got many more, I'll post them up later. I'll be betting probably every single day aswell

ReputationRep:
    Klose for top scorer is a good bet. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by global_warning)
    Who is that in your avatar Ronaldo XII?
    Christiano Ronaldo. He plays for this muppet team called Man Utd and he usually does 100 step-overs before creating a failing end product usually in the form of a wayward cross. However, the Real Ronaldo is in Spain!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with English patriotism during the World Cup. All patriotism has its bad sides but England's is not exactly in the same category as others.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.