Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    £500, not bad at all! This is my first dabble in betting so i'd be well chuffed to win anything.

ReputationRep:
    £500? I need to get into this betting.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it was a silly rule personally. Just scrap it and let Southgate carry on. We may have a new amazing manager!

ReputationRep:
    That said.....is this what English football is going to be known for now? D'oh.

ReputationRep:
    My personal fave was that Chinese own goal last night. Amazin.g

ReputationRep:
    Back Borgetti and thank me in a month's time

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Crouch copy it from SWP or something. Just something I overheard on TV on SSN.

ReputationRep:
    He's worth a couple of quid, since I consider Mexico to be rather dark horses...

ReputationRep:
    As I am sure Xavier will be quick to point out... It's actually One world war (kinda) and one world cup - as American and Russia effectively won the Second World war. Emphasis since Germany have since continued to pocket them, and England continue to live in 1966... or at least a lot of the fans do.

It makes me SO angry, but I know there are some fans who aren't disillusioned idiots, so I just talk to them... One day we may all be so enlightened.

ReputationRep:
    Klose at 20-1 are you frigging kidding me?

It's almost a sure thing.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Exactly dude. Get in there.

ReputationRep:
    65/1 rooney top scorer, maybe a month ago! I was lucky to get him at 16/1, its gone down to 6/1 with a lot of bookies now

ReputationRep:
    You didn't just suggest that America played a greater part in WWII than Britain? Wow, how naive. Did you conveniently forget the fact that they didn't join until the best part of 1942, I guess the battle of Britain was as insignificant as D-Day or Dunkirk. My mistake. America contributed significantly, as (undoubtedly) did Russia, Britain and the multitude of other allied forces worldwide.

In an effort not to turn this into a history thread, what harm is a bit of national pride every now and again? Yes, there are thugs and I can only hope that they are prevented from entering Germany, but it seems petty to wish for England's demise on the basis that people dare to dream that the World Cup is a possibility. It would make so many decent Englishmen and women happy if we won. Why would you wish for their disappointment?

Yes, the papers go overboard. I've no doubt that many foreign publications are identical with their blind national faith.

I can perfectly understand why people from other countries would want England to lose, but I fail to comprehend why English people want England to lose. Nonsensical.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wish Southgate the very best of luck. There are precious few young English managers at the highest level and Middlesborough, under Steve Gibson, represents a chance for Southgate to really push Boro into the top 6/7 on a regular basis.

I don't see the fact that he doesn't have an assortment of badges as relevant. He has been involved with football for many years and knows the game. That said, he represents a gamble, but I hope he makes a success of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    As I am sure Xavier will be quick to point out... It's actually One world war (kinda) and one world cup - as American and Russia effectively won the Second World war.
    America did help but not as much as people think. It was Russia's help which helped Britain the most. America were handy in getting rid of Japan, though they were about to surrender before the nukes were going to be placed. Anyway, I hate this type of history. If we're going to talk about wars let's be more traditional. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    hahaaaaaaa southgate as boro manager- please tell me you're joking
    you've gotta prove yourself first and get some experience first, THEN you can be considerd

ReputationRep:
    come on germany!!!! actully i know they're not gonna win the world cup but England defo arent guna win it

they beat a couple of crap teams and the pundits are talking about how they're gonna breeze through- they're already discussing which day of the second round would be the best for him to come back. thats if england get any further- they are a flop

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how long it would take the BBC to update their pages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    65/1 rooney top scorer, maybe a month ago! I was lucky to get him at 16/1, its gone down to 6/1 with a lot of bookies now
    Nah you're talking rubbish. You can get 40/1 with William Hill, Paddy Power and bet365. He is 65/1 on betfair. That's a fair price considering to probably wont play our group games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Top_Cat)
    Personally, I wish Southgate the very best of luck. There are precious few young English managers at the highest level and Middlesborough, under Steve Gibson, represents a chance for Southgate to really push Boro into the top 6/7 on a regular basis.

I don't see the fact that he doesn't have an assortment of badges as relevant. He has been involved with football for many years and knows the game. That said, he represents a gamble, but I hope he makes a success of it.
    all i'm thinking is....why the rush to start off at the top? Akin to the example of Alan Shearer, who had the opportunity i'm sure but chose not to do so, very sensible in my opinion. It really could be a huge dent in confidence for Southgate if things don't work out, starting off pretty much at the top, not having much success, then where? A step down? That could maybe feel humiliating and embarrassing for Southgate. I wish him all the best, he seems a top bloke, BUT...i think his decision to become manager isn't a particularly sensible one, short-term and long-term....but we'll just have to wait and see, i could well be proved wrong, lets hope so.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.