Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

(Original post by RobbieC)
    As I am sure Xavier will be quick to point out... It's actually One world war (kinda) and one world cup - as American and Russia effectively won the Second World war.
    You don't win a fight unless your in it from the start.

(Original post by Top_Cat)
    but I fail to comprehend why English people want England to lose. Nonsensical.
    They are the type who don't really know much about football and just want to try and be clever.

ReputationRep:
    rooney as englands top scorer @ 16/1, not tournament top scorer, my fault should have made it clear, but good odds just on english scorers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    rooney as englands top scorer @ 16/1, not tournament top scorer, my fault should have made it clear, but good odds just on english scorers.
    Oh sorry, pretty goods odds then actually.

ReputationRep:
    i just can't wait for all these supporter's excuses when the inevitable will happen and you get knocked out in the qtr finals.I think you should start revising some excuses now ie.referee was biased,rooney was not fit,we are still the best,in 4yrs time we will do it.
    ^^ArgentinOs*

ReputationRep:
    Watford use the same training grounds as UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesh^^)
    i just can't wait for all these supporter's excuses when the inevitable will happen and you get knocked out in the qtr finals.I think you should start revising some excuses now ie.referee was biased,rooney was not fit,we are still the best,in 4yrs time we will do it.
    ^^ArgentinOs*
    England has lacked luck on so many occasions - and we need luck, any team does, if it is to win titles, cups, big tournaments.

The aforementioned aren't so much 'excuses' but rather ill-fortune. We have had ill-fortune in penalty shoot-outs, ill-fortune when England scored in extra time (or was it 'golden goal' time?) against Portugal (Euro 2004 QFs) only for it to be amazingly ruled out. Let's also not go forgetting Campbell's perfectly legitimate (albeit disallowed) headed goal against Argentina in the world-cup 4 years ago....these aren't excuses, it's damned ill-fortune.

Thus, some luck wouldn't go amiss, and it's not as though we don't deserve some for lack of trying either.

ReputationRep:
    Nah.

That'd be a bit mean. You can not like the OTT England supporting, go nuts. But willing them to crash out at the group stages is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, no?

ReputationRep:
    Supporting England (or any country that you were born & bred in, for that matter) is patriotism, and I would honestly rather England win the World Cup than Liverpool win say the Champions League or whatever. I'm not that big a fan of Liverpool (my dad is, and I've been brought up to think that I should be) but with England, I have pride in my country, and would be one of the VERY few times I ever get patriotic.

That said, had Wales got through, I'd most likely support them AND England. I'm British, not English, and rather proud of my Wales heritage .

And with the supporting players from other clubs thing -- they're part of a team. They're *England*. Never mind Everton or Liverpool or Man U or whatever team they're in. Whatever happened to putting team rivalries aside and supporting your country through some of the biggest matches ever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Indeed, i know i'm going all scrooge on your World Cup party, but I just know we won't win the World Cup
    Is this the same kind of knowledge you displayed about 2 weeks ago when you told me conclusively that Wayne Rooney wasn't going to make it to the World Cup, and yet this morning I've seen videos of him training and Beckham saying his fitness test results were as good as the other squad members. You aren't as knowledgeable as you seem to think.

(Original post by RobbieC)

It makes me SO angry, but I know there are some fans who aren't disillusioned idiots, so I just talk to them... One day we may all be so enlightened.

You aren't enlightened, you are a loser. I'd much rather live with a bit of hope and pride in my country than be a defeatist, negative, apathetic doom-moungering fan like yourself who watches the greatest sporting spectacle in the World expecting the worst.

ReputationRep:
    Marlon King's going to get owned by premiership defenders from start to finish of the season. Then you'll get relegated and come back down with the dregs......Not that I'm bitter or anything

ReputationRep:
    I am not a loser, currently... My first country: GERMANY actually against the odds outdid your first country: ENGLAND, last world cup, didn't they... And I'm sure they will again this time.

I do want England to do well, since I live here I lend my support to them in almost equal measure, but I can't stand how oblivious some people are to how stupid they and the media are sometimes. And it's inescapable.

ReputationRep:
    They are... I think there will be mucho sharing among midfielders before Rooney comes into play he might only fall 3 behind max. Hmmm.

But yes Klose is getting a 20 quid stuck on him for golden boot this afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the media may be going ott, and the football is EVERYWHERE, but the world cup is only every four years.

ReputationRep:
    Germany got to the final and lost to the same team we lost to in the quarters. Who's to say that if our paths had been swapped it wouldn't have been England in the final? At least we didn't get spanked 3-0 in the final though, ey? Enjoy watching Ballack Vs Costa Rica though, I don't think you'll have quite as many opportunities to watch Germany this time round as you did last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Is this the same kind of knowledge you displayed about 2 weeks ago when you told me conclusively that Wayne Rooney wasn't going to make it to the World Cup, and yet this morning I've seen videos of him training and Beckham saying his fitness test results were as good as the other squad members. You aren't as knowledgeable as you seem to think.

You aren't enlightened, you are a loser. I'd much rather live with a bit of hope and pride in my country than be a defeatist, negative, apathetic doom-moungering fan like yourself who watches the greatest sporting spectacle in the World expecting the worst.

He hasn't played in a real match situation yet, so don't go getting ahead of yourself....he may well have made it to the world cup, that's not to say he won't relapse, there is obviously a chance he could do so. As for his match fitness, we'll have to wait and see. I think you're over-masturbating over Rooney's recovery - let's wait and see, afterall, there is a 'recovery pain' and an '(re)injury pain'...the whole thing IMO, smacks of this "too good to be true"...and i feel that this will materialize, but i hope i'm wrong in thinking this.

If his fitness test results are as good as the other squad members - well, the squad either haven't been working hard enough on their fitness and/or, Rooney's (extent of) injury and its implications have been (highly)exaggerated. Maybe ulterior motives, a smart move by all those concerned so as to keep emphasis/focus on one player quite injured, and the emphasis/pressure off the remaining squad members.

As for people being defeatist - lets call it realism eh. Sure, i (along with many others) hope we win the world cup, but i don't think we will do. And because of me holding this opinion, i/we are judged 'negative', 'apathetic', 'doom-mongerers'. Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    i dont : / why wud u want that! ive been waiting 4 years and i want it to be all its hyped up to be

ReputationRep:
    Relapse? There is no chance of relapse if his bone is completely healed, as Erikkson has said in an interview. All he has to do is get fit, He won't be suffering much loss in sharpness because Rooney is a cut above other players and his technique is already excellent. Constant training between now and the Sweden match should get him where he needs to be in terms of match preparation.

airing your view that England won't win the world cup. How would you describe it? Positive? Supportive? Encouraging? Optimistic? Because it's none of those. It's negative, it's defeatist, and it's weak. You do it so you can be the snivelling little runt at the end of it who gleefully says 'told you so'. the reality of the situation is that hundreds of millions of football fans think that this year is going to be their year and that their team will win the competition. The reality is that most of those people will be dissapointed. The odds are against us winning it, but who gives a ****? I'd much rather be posititve and believe than be like you, who I can only imagine experiences England games with a sense of dull inevitability in his heart and mind. That's no way to watch football. You be comfortable in the knowledge that by the end of it you'll get your moment where you show everyone just how smart you are by predicting failure, I'll stick with the camp who enjoy the ride and we'll see who enjoys the World Cup more by the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you guys so sure about klose? Germany are a bit crap really and surely Podolski is their main man no? I know he went close in 2002 but he scored basically all his goals against saudi arabia. Also they'll proably meet England in the 2nd round and everyone knows that England always beat Germany...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    airing your view that England won't win the world cup. How would you describe it? Positive? Supportive? Encouraging? Optimistic? Because it's none of those. It's negative, it's defeatist, and it's weak. You do it so you can be the snivelling little runt at the end of it who gleefully says 'told you so'. the reality of the situation is that hundreds of millions of football fans think that this year is going to be their year and that their team will win the competition. The reality is that most of those people will be dissapointed. The odds are against us winning it, but who gives a ****? I'd much rather be posititve and believe than be like you, who I can only imagine experiences England games with a sense of dull inevitability in his heart and mind. That's no way to watch football. You be comfortable in the knowledge that by the end of it you'll get your moment where you show everyone just how smart you are by predicting failure, I'll stick with the camp who enjoy the ride and we'll see who enjoys the World Cup more by the end of it all.
    Spot on.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.