Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Carrick overated? You 'Mancs' cease to amaze me. Overpriced at 20m, not overated. The 20m is to scare you off, after-all Man Usa have to be quite thrifty these days to pay off all those debts. Seeing as you need a whole new midfield, somebody who is good on the ball and can get from box to box when needed would be quite welcome imo (You guys should know how good he is from his performance at OT 04/05...or maybe not). He's not the Gattuso type holding player, but certainly a top-quality central midfielder, there aren't too many of them knocking about.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i meant the one you won, sounds like a pretty good day though!
    Robbiec, think it was actually you who mentioned Klose first come to think of it, just wish i'd listened.:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Carrick overated? You 'Mancs' cease to amaze me. Overpriced at 20m, not overated. The 20m is to scare you off, after-all Man Usa have to be quite thrifty these days to pay off all those debts. Seeing as you need a whole new midfield, somebody who is good on the ball and can get from box to box when needed would be quite welcome imo (You guys should know how good he is from his performance at OT 04/05...or maybe not). He's not the Gattuso type holding player, but certainly a top-quality central midfielder, there aren't too many of them knocking about.
    Yes, I myself am a Mancunian, so less of the irony please. Yes, of course, we should buy players on this/your basis that because they performed excellently on one or two occasions at this and that place/stadium....

WOW, the logic...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    10m for Carrick? Spurs should accept, no questions asked. Another prime example of an overpriced Englishman
    Just one question, you still reckon he'd get into the Arsenal team, or have you changed your mind in the space of a month?

Sometimes there are forces that prevent accurate prices. Spurs are putting a deflectionary premium on Carrick to protect their asset, thus maximising producer surplus should an offer of 20m come in (unlikely). If manyoo were rational they would look elsewhere and search for another central midfielder, but that assumes homogenous products and we all know midfielders are seldom identical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Yes, I myself am a Mancunian, so less of the irony please. Yes, of course, we should buy players on this/your basis that because they performed excellently on one or two occasions at this and that place/stadium....

WOW, the logic...:rolleyes:
    I can't assume that you come to WHL or Anfield, or the JJB to watch him can I? You would have had a good idea of what he was like from that match.

ReputationRep:
    Can't people understand Spurs have put a 20m label on Carrick to scare other clubs off because they do not want to sell him? If a club is brave enough to fork the money, then Spurs can't ignore it since they would be silly not to let him go for such a price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rico dan man)
    the commentators make me wanna puke in Germanys match the commentator goes "if england dont win their group...then they will play germany", then the other commentator replies "well it doesnt matter england are better than germany"
    Arent England better? Is Germany a team England should be afraid of when there are far more dangerous teams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drazen2007)
    I agree about the commentators. This is exactly what I'm on about - support for England at the World Cup is driven mostly by vulgar nationalism, rather than pride in the team and country - this is why people still cling on to the 1966 victory against Germany. It's no wonder everyone else holds us in such low regard. :rolleyes:
    I didnt see any vulgar nationalism in the comment? They werent clinging on to crap, they were giving an opinion that most people anywhere in the world would agree with.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want England to loose, but the longer England are in the World cup the longer my social life will suffer.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody poland, i had 7/3 for them to win and they blew it. Oh well theres a long way to go.

I think its great, he should do it all the time makes me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    Can't people understand Spurs have put a 20m label on Carrick to scare other clubs off because they do not want to sell him? If a club is brave enough to fork the money, then Spurs can't ignore it since they would be silly not to let him go for such a price.
    Of course it's all too transparent on this basis. Funny though, with such scare tactics, Chelsea may put in an offer, and a crazy overpriced one for Carrick. They're in the habit of paying way over the odds for players generally, and let's not forget the English player example of Wright-Phillips, so perhaps Chelsea will meet the supposed £20 million asking price Doesn't matter if Man United have only offered £10 million, Chelsea would take the piss and just offer £20 million on this "bow down to the superpower" basis :rolleyes:

Just a bit of loose change for Chelsea anyway....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Just one question, you still reckon he'd get into the Arsenal team, or have you changed your mind in the space of a month?

Sometimes there are forces that prevent accurate prices. Spurs are putting a deflectionary premium on Carrick to protect their asset, thus maximising producer surplus should an offer of 20m come in (unlikely). If manyoo were rational they would look elsewhere and search for another central midfielder, but that assumes homogenous products and we all know midfielders are seldom identical.
    He would get into the Arsenal team because Gilberto is rubbish. But if pressed I believe there is better midfielders at cheaper prices, even if they currently dont play in England. He doesnt score goals and he isnt really a holding midfielder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Of course it's all too transparent on this basis. Funny though, with such scare tactics, Chelsea may put in an offer, and a crazy overpriced one for Carrick. They're in the habit of paying way over the odds for players generally, and let's not forget the English player example of Wright-Phillips, so perhaps Chelsea will meet the supposed £20 million asking price Doesn't matter if Man United have only offered £10 million, Chelsea would take the piss and just offer £20 million on this "bow down to the superpower" basis :rolleyes:

Just a bit of loose change for Chelsea anyway....
    Carrick could well have that SWP mentality and sacrifice his footballing career for a ridiculous wage.

Money talks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    He would get into the Arsenal team because Gilberto is rubbish. But if pressed I believe there is better midfielders at cheaper prices, even if they currently dont play in England. He doesnt score goals and he isnt really a holding midfielder.
    I know he isn't but he's being played as one, such is his versatility. I'm sure there are better midfielders out there, dunno about less than 10m though. You'd be taking a punt at those sorts of players in whether or not they'd be a success over here. Part of the premium on Carrick is the knowledge that he's more than good enough for this league.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Poland are awful. I am totally backing Germany to have them. At least Klose will rack up some more goals...

ReputationRep:
    What an ungrateful kid!

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdominal)
    Carrick could well have that SWP mentality and sacrifice his footballing career for a ridiculous wage.

Money talks
    I genuinely hope not, for his own sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    What an ungrateful kid!

regards
    --marty
    He's 6 and thought he was going to hold his hero Gerrard's hand. Poor kid.

ReputationRep:
    Still I'm sure he would manage a smile when he heard tens of thousands of people clapping him onto a field of amazing players.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.