Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    The only reason we should come 2nd is possibly to set up a final with Brazil. Personally I think we would probably find Germany easier than Eucador. But you shouldnt play silly buggers imo. You would never see Brazil playing for 2nd place, we should not be afraid and believe in ourselves. To win the greatest competition on earth you should have to beat the best whether it comes in the last 16 or the final isnt important.
    I think england have to go out and try win the group. If they believe they can win then they shouldnt worry about facing germany.

it looks like ecuador are more likely to win the group becuase they only need to draw.

After watching the first set of games, i think spain, italy then brazil are favourites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    You and me both.

Time for a change then about the last sentence. Having said that, I've been to Watford twice recently and we've won both times.

Gem
    I cannot remeber a game against Sheff Utd that has been boring. They are always entertaining and i think the game at Vicarage road this season was probably one of the best adverts for the championship.

How good were we at Bramall Lane though!!

ReputationRep:
    As a liverpool fan i'd like to see a few big clubs near the opening, to get them out the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watford110)
    I cannot remeber a game against Sheff Utd that has been boring. They are always entertaining and i think the game at Vicarage road this season was probably one of the best adverts for the championship.

How good were we at Bramall Lane though!!
    Yes. 2-0 down and won 3-2. Brilliant day out as Watford always is.

You were easily the best side to come to BL and Unsworth was a **** for getting himself sent off. King played very very well that day.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    We should try and win it, irrelevant of who we will meet in the finals.
    We are England, and should be afraid of no-one. If you want to win, you have to beat the best. Simple as that.

(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    We are England, and should be afraid of no-one. If you want to win, you have to beat the best. Simple as that.
    i couldnt agree more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    seconded

ReputationRep:
    There's no way England will win the world cup, seeing how they've played the last two matches! I know you won, but is that much to be proud of? I mean, you really did have trouble against Trinidad and Tobago, they had the closest opportunity until you finally scored in the 83rd minute! And, in addition, look who you're up against! Argentina beat Serbia 6-0 today! Then there's Spain, Italy, Germany and Brazil! I'm sorry, but I can't see England beating any of those, except perhaps Germany (although unlikely since they're playing at home).

I feel sorry for the English fans though, expectations are so high and I really can't see you achieving very much! Like the belgian commentators said yesterday, England's a lot like Real Madrid, you have all the stars, but you don't work as a team...

(Original post by PaulRevere)
    There's no way England will win the world cup, seeing how they've played the last two matches! I know you won, but is that much to be proud of? I mean, you really did have trouble against Trinidad and Tobago, they had the closest opportunity until you finally scored in the 83rd minute! And, in addition, look who you're up against! Argentina beat Serbia 6-0 today! Then there's Spain, Italy, Germany and Brazil! I'm sorry, but I can't see England beating any of those, except perhaps Germany (although unlikely since they're playing at home).

I feel sorry for the English fans though, expectations are so high and I really can't see you achieving very much! Like the belgian commentators said yesterday, England's a lot like Real Madrid, you have all the stars, but you don't work as a team...
    thats your opinion mate and i respect that....World Cup isnt over yet though and no one has won anything yet.

England should just use the Sweden game to fix the things wrong in their team. If England knock Germany out, the backlash might suck, but ther'es no point trying to play for the easy game. If you can't beat the big teams you don't deserve to win.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see Lennon play against Sweden, from the start. But, is he more effective running against tired legs?

edit: I am hoping we finish 1st. Assuming that Argentina, England and Holland win their 2nd round matches, I'd much prefer to face Holland!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulRevere)

It's too early for these sorts of comments.

Plus why are Brazil still considered the favourites despite their weak game yet England are written off?

ReputationRep:
    England are not playing real class football to win the world cup. I hope i'm wrong but have you seen some of the other teams playing? It's no excuse saying that the other teams were too weak to motivate England or it's too hot. This is the world cup they need to play some skillful football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)

Plus why are Brazil still considered the favourites despite their weak game yet England are written off?

Sorry, my first comment didn't come out the way I intended. I did not mean to say that England's completely written off. They have a chance, like everyone else, and despite me not believing they will get to the final, I respect that they are still favourites, like Brazil. I'm just saying that from what I've seen so far of England in the world cup, they will have to improve drastically in order to beat teams like Argentina, Spain, Italy, Germany or Brazil. And Brazil will have to too if they want to get anywhere as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)

Erm, maybe that's because Brazil have won 4 times and England once. The papers go on about the world cup win 40 years ago, get over it. This is 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

England can still win, of course they can, but obviously, Brazil are still favourites to win. England would be favourites too if they had the same amount of victories that Brazil have, even with Poor performances so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrison1984)
    England are not playing real class football to win the world cup. I hope i'm wrong but have you seen some of the other teams playing? It's no excuse saying that the other teams were too weak to motivate England or it's too hot. This is the world cup they need to play some skillful football.
    exactly..

ReputationRep:
    Want to chat about the world cup?? Keep it in the world cup thread. Too many break away threads will end up repeating what has already been said. Oh and please ease up on the polls, its like you just found the function and have to play with it. Polls are good when they have a meaning.

Remember when we didn't have a football forum? We just ahd the main thread and a coupl of breakaway ones. It was a lotstricter then.

ReputationRep:
    if england dont play germany in the last 16, is there a chance they would meet in the last 8? because then england still have to play them anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)

for me, and i think for alot of ppl now, brazil are not favourites, but they still have a very good chance.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it matters if we finish 1st or 2nd we have a superior squad of players than germany and ecuador so it does not really matter who we play or where we finish

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.