Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Earlier I saw one of the guys from Ghana do the sign of the cross. Ironic that these western religions were forced on them durring Colonialism and the slave trade and now they flaunt them...

ReputationRep:
    We love saaker and we know nothing about saaker and we love getting red carded and we will bomb Italy because they have weapons of mass destruction because they beat us in saaker

And this time we have evidence too! Video footage :cool:

:ciao:

ReputationRep:
    One red card for the invasion of Afghanistan and another for the war on Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    We love saaker and we know nothing about saaker and we love getting red carded and we will bomb Italy because they have weapons of mass destruction because they beat us in saaker

And this time we have evidence too! Video footage :cool:

:ciao:
    Italy beat who?
    I saw a limp performance from an Italian side short of ideas, at times out-played by 9 passionate and driven players. An embarassing day for Italian football.

And admit it, we all know that if the USA started taking football seriously by sheer numbers alone they'd become one of the best teams.

ReputationRep:
    to me,a possible mixture of Ecuador&Germany/Sweden sounds much better than Germany&Sweden...
    Ecuador were lucky to beat us,Poles. Our manager made some crucial mistakes in tactics. Let's call a spade a spade-you will not have any problems beating them...
    but,as it's already said, you have to beat virually everybody to bring the trophy back home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloePrice)
    I can't agree more. (:confused: :confused: :confused: )
    In simpler terms, the czech 'c' is pronounced like the combination 'ts' in English (like for example, in the word 'cats').

ReputationRep:
    It was like watching Benfica play in the Champions League when they were waving St George's flag. :p:

I think I would use the Sweden game to test some of the less used players. I might even start Walcott, Carrick (w/ Gerrard and rest Lamps 1st half) Hargreaves, Lennon and I'd probably play Rooney from the start too. Just to see what some of these players can do.

ReputationRep:
    Robinson

Cole
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Beckham

Carrick/Hargreaves
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Lennon
    Cole

Crouch/Rooney

With Owen not showing form after a good few games and the problems with Lampard and Gerrard together, could a formation like this work- almost Cheleas-like. We've seen Lennon and Beckham work well on that right and with Carrick/Hargreaves we have a holding midfielder freeing both Lampard and Gerrard. The main problem is that while it solves the midfield problem, I almost don't see a place for Rooney. What do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    have no idea why that flag was shown but anyway Go Ghana! My home country wooo!

(Original post by mute)
    I think I would use the Sweden game to test some of the less used players. I might even start Walcott, Carrick (w/ Gerrard and rest Lamps 1st half) Hargreaves, Lennon and I'd probably play Rooney from the start too. Just to see what some of these players can do.
    i say we do that too...but not Lennon and Rooney up front....Rooney and Owen for me...Owen needs games!

ReputationRep:
    I think that Owen and Rooney might be starting up front. This is what Sven said to BBC sport:

Michael Owen and Wayne is one option but I know they lack games. You would be starting with two who might not reach 90 minutes.

"It's tempting to do it anyhow but I haven't decided yet

ReputationRep:
    England are screwed against Ecuador for sure, and probably screwed against Germany lol. 'tis not good.

ReputationRep:
    Crouch is too slow to play a lone striker..
    Rooney plays too deep (coming into Gerrad/Lampard territory) to play as a lone striker too in my opinion..
    Beckham has no pace and isnt well known for his great tackling.. would make a poor fullback and easily exposed.
    The midfield is crowded with Gerrad/Lampard/Cole all going to try and cut in or get that space in the middle... might aswell go wide with Dowing on the left...
    There isnt great counter attacking set up more like setting camp up outside the oppositions 18 yard box and firing a lot :p:

(Original post by pzych0)
    England are screwed against Ecuador for sure, and probably screwed against Germany lol. 'tis not good.
    care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would any team go out and intentionally lose when playing in the world cup? I take it you've never played football at a decent level, if you had, you'd know that when you play you're playing for one reason - to win.

England have to go out and put in a performance to show that they are a team of awesome players. partly to show other teams that we DO have a chance of winning the tournament, but essentially so the players get some confidence behind them.

Sven should start with a team as similar as possible to the last two games, there is no point whatsoever giving Walcott a game in my opinion, we all know he won't feature in the latter stages unless there are injuries. The world cup finals are not the right place to experiment, lord only knows why he took him along.

Start Owen and and Crouch, and at half time bring off whoever he intends to be on the bench in the Germany/Ecuador game. Would also be useful to give Lennon 20/30 mins at the end, he could be a useful player and it's in our interest to keep him eager.

Would much rather play Germany, Rooney would run absolute riot at their centre halves. With Ecuador it could be a case of our first two matches - pressure in knowing that we are a better side, and not performing well. Apart from anything - we'll have to beat better teams than Germany to do any damage, so the sooner the better.

ReputationRep:
    4-4-2 is probably the strongest formation when Rooney is fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Real Madrid technically have a superior squad than many of the teams they play. However, it's how well the team play together that matters, and England have not played too well as a team so far!

I think the Real Madrid argument is utter crap. What is it supposed to show? Brazil have a superior squad to teams they play but as evident in their qualifying campaigns they didnt beat everyone. Same for Argentina and any other team youd care to mention. England havent played well so far, fair enough. But to say that they cant beat the likes of Holland, Italy, France based on these two performances is again utter crap, because they havent exactly shined.

People saying that England cannot beat Brazil, well duh theyre better on paper so thats why youre inclined to say that.

As for Real Madrid, I think youll find they were second to Barcelona who arguably have a better side. So they did end up above sides that were superior to. As for Champions League performances, they are still the most consistent team in the Champions League.

England are still 3rd favourites to win the World Cup. Nothing has changed. Actually theyre more likely since theyve managed to progress a stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrison1984)
    Erm, maybe that's because Brazil have won 4 times and England once. The papers go on about the world cup win 40 years ago, get over it. This is 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

England can still win, of course they can, but obviously, Brazil are still favourites to win. England would be favourites too if they had the same amount of victories that Brazil have, even with Poor performances so far.
    Brazil arent favourites because of their history of winning world cups, but because they have the best team. Similarly that is why England are one of the frontrunners.

ReputationRep:
    Also, people should really stop picking on Real Madrid, lots of other teams underperform in the short run.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.