Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Well they'll be banned from planning the France game too, so won't that mean France win by virtue of a walkover? So what's that, 2-0 to France?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt mind being the first team to play at Gashburton Grove... but thinks its a load of rubbish myself.

Quite fancy Fulham at home first game of the season to be honest....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Maybe could have a pint with our resident burnie.
    Cover up the red and you would certainly be welcome in most of our pubs. Although the 4 hour drive either side restricts me to coke. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numero sept)
    Why is Henry wicked for Arsenal but poor for France? He was hardly in the Switzerland game!

Is it the team's tactics? I know a lot of French people don't like the coach.
    Well the french coach has the wrong tactics implemented and does not get the best out of his team. I mean his selection for one he left out guily of Barca who is a fantastic player. Henry is isolated upfront on his own and not enough support comes from the wingers and Zidane. Also when he plays for arsenal he is the very soul of the team and he knows it, thats why he plays to his best. When it comes to international football i dont think he has enough confidence in his ability i think when he finally plays a great game for France in a major tournament he will settle. But France have to get rid of there coach his tactics are abyssmal he cannot fire up his players either. They need a strong passionate coach someone like Scolari. Someone who will put the players in there place!

ReputationRep:
    I would play Beckham as a wing back as Sven did in the Trinidad game... with Lennon as a wing forward - kind of a 3-4-3 with beckham covering back - essentially a glorified 4-4-2.

Having witnessed 2 years of monotonous, awful 4-5-1 from Blackburn i can say i hate the formation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizzyh)
    We live in 2006 and your telling me the FA/FIFA can't put a single large screen in all stadiums for the ref to make better decisions.

I mean it's not like renovation the stadium - just put a super widescreen TV near the dugout (where both managers + the fourth official can see)

Also Im sure everyone knows how to press the rewind/ff button

So what's the problem?
    I dont think it is a good idea it slows down the game and players will start to question the refs ability and ask a referral for every decision. They are trying to implement it many sports such as tennis, cricket etc etc but i think the Refs power is lost and nowadays they get more or less most things right. But i would not want Tv screen replays it would take away the games very meaning, passion.

ReputationRep:
    Err are you tell me after refs are allowed to pause play to watch footage of a possible deliberate dive that players will not then think twice and realise refs will be able to watch a replay of the incident instantly and hand out any punishment there and then.

If this proposal was implemented then diving would be a thing of the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    The squad has changed somewhat since 1958! And indeed 1994. Therefore past victories are clearly irrelevant in terms of the current tournament.

My point is that when Brazil play okay and win as they did today and against Croatia they're deemed to simply be playing in first gear. When England perform poorly and win we're written off. Why does no one assume that we're just playing in first gear and will turn it on later in the tournament?
    Yep, agree completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    I would play Beckham as a wing back as Sven did in the Trinidad game... with Lennon as a wing forward ... essentially a glorified 4-4-2.
    I'd like to see more of that - it's the pressing 4-4-2 that Man United played with in their treble season. The figure-of-eight offers a plethora of passing triangles between players and consequently lots of possession.

. . . . . . Owen. . . Rooney . . . . . . .

Cole . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Lennon
    . . . . Lampard . Hargreaves . . . . .

Cole . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Beckham
    . . . Ferdinand . . Terry . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . Robinson. . . . . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benisright)
    Its because the US is not accepting of all socio-economic backgrounds like most nations on the earth need to be. Soccer is one of the few sports that needs no equiptment to play. Basketball needs a hoop, baseball needs everything, american football?? forget about it.

On the subject matter. Even if you do not appreciate the football, the economy of GB will take a massive hit if we fail to win the tournament compared to if we do win the tournament. I know ill be spending more money if we win!
    I disagree- both with the sweeping and ill-informed generalization about the socio economics and about basketball. Basketball needs next to nothing, and almost every single municipality in the country has many basketball courts...a basic outdoor court is very cheap to build and needs almost no maintenance. You need a ball, that's all. Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloePrice)
    I thought of a similar situation - Owen Hargreaves, waving a Germany flag, after a major England win. lol, I don't thinnk he will survive to see the light of day if he did!
    or even wave a canadian flag, since he was born in canada and lived there for 16 years or so :p:

ReputationRep:
    So what happens if you bet on Switzerland to win and Togo dont turn up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numero sept)
    Why is Henry wicked for Arsenal but poor for France? He was hardly in the Switzerland game!

Is it the team's tactics? I know a lot of French people don't like the coach.
    He gets no support and the players are not where he wants them to be. Sometimes also, instead of passing, the french tend to take silly shots

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, refs need to make an instant decision, you cant stop play, look at the screen and then decide to play on unless its deciding something like a corner or throw on etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a joke that he hasnt played yet! I doubt he will get a showing now and everytime we have played with him or king as a holder midfielder we have played better! Im not just saying this as a Spurs fan I just cant understand it, especially as the gerrard and lamps combo just doesnt seem to work.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he hates him. He took him as part of a squad after all... I just think he likes Hargreaves more

ReputationRep:
    I cant beleive people are actually using the notion of Beckham at right back seriously. It did not work against against T&T - he hardly did any defending and spent most of his time in the opposition half because T&T were pushed so far back most of the time. Gerrard tried to cover the gaps left in defence late on in the game. Beckham cannot tackle, he cannot defend, he is not a defensive player, he is not a defender.

Jesus Christ.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think that in recent years, referees have been getting more hungry for medai attention than before. Particularly at this years world cup, it all seems to be going to some of their heads. Some very rash decisions have been made and a good performance by the refs has been a rarity so far.
    Anyone disagree and what do you think the standard of refereeing is like today?

ReputationRep:
    i Think that in this world cup, the reffing has been shocking, They are not letting the game flow and are blowing up for the most minor of offences, and giving cards for them. It is making a mockery of the sport. There is also far less consistency within the reffing community these days, especiall with the awarding of red cards, someone needs to address this!!! Also, the amount of fouls that re commited in the box duruing a corner for instance is ridiculous, and refs never pick up on them, surely penalties should be awarded as this is the only way to stop the shirt pulling e.t.c as you can see i am quite passionate about this subject!

ReputationRep:
    Very cheap to who? You, or a 6 year old Brazilian living in a Favela who's parents earn about 2 quid a week?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.