Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    The refs have definatley been a little dubious at this years tournament. That farce with the Ghana penalty was absolutley not on at the top level.

ReputationRep:
    I think the bet would become invalid, ie nothing lost and nothing gained, since the match would have to be cancelled.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I think Togo should get their head out of there ass and just play the bloody match.

ReputationRep:
    They're all merely acting in line with FIFA's regulations and advice - these people represent FIFA in executing and upholding the law - they don't legislate them.

FIFA has always supported the decisions of all its referees in this year's tournament, and this approval is indicative that the referees have done a fine job thus far. No yellow/red card decisions have been repealed by the FIFA Technical Committee either.

ReputationRep:
    lol and what has he done for us? If i see him starting tomoz i will go spare! I admit he aint bad but he aint what we need. If we put 22 hargreves on a pitch it would be 0-0 all the way.

ReputationRep:
    whats even harder to understand is why jenas is there. im a spurs fan too, but i think he is nowhere near good enough for england. there is absolutely no situation that could occur where anyone would think 'we need jenas on now'. surely taking defoe or bent would have been the better choice. but then again, this is sven were talking about - sense is not his strong point

Mmm...

I think Hargreaves should start tomorrow. Going into the last WC he was a performer; since then he's played bit-part, out of position roles for England whilst building a massive reputation with one of Europe's most successful clubs. Now, if at all, is the chance to see what he can do at his club level - the binding of a midfield including Ballack & Schweinsteiger. I reckon he's more the player we need than Carrick. More mobile, more athletic, a better tackler, a simpler player. We don't need another (deep-lying) playmaker when our midfield's packed with them as it is.

The ball's in his court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    I think its a bad idea. The world cup has had some fantastic fast flowing football. By letting the ref look at a screen it would take the pace off the game and prevent the flow and momentum that is often vital for teams to win.
    I think that video replays would do exactly the opposite.

It is so irritating when the flow of a game is ruined by players who dive and feign injury. The ball has to put out of play by the opposition, which quite often ruins an attack. Nine times out of ten, the player who was rolling around in agony will be up on their feet a couple of seconds later. I HATE this so much.

Having video replays during a game would (in my opinion) eradicate diving from the game, and improve the flow of matches. Players wouldn't dive during games, because they would know that they wouldn't be able to get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    I like ron's formation. I would go with that. I think lennon was a very important player against T&T we need players that can go around people! i was sick to death of all these long balls england seemed to be playing. When we started to pass along the ground and try dribbling past we set up so many more oppoutunities.

I think lenno should play on the wing, but very far up. Like almost a striker. With beckham behind him as midfield.

This would make our defence on the right a bit weaker, but we would score more goals i think, i'd like to see england playing as a more attacking side.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with the jenas comment. But tbh for spurs although he never seems to play well, he scores goals, and none of our other midfielders really do. Likewise with the England B, he scored. When hes in the box he always seems to be in right positon. But I find it mad that defoe or Bent havent gone! Its a joke! Jenas was probably svens last midfielder pick and tbh the last pick never playes but if he picked another striker than that striker would have already played me thinks!

ReputationRep:
    i think hargreaves is a good player personally but i feel some peopel are just biased because he plays in germany and he's never really lived in england. its a shame that peopl look just at that and not with an open mind. he's not the best player but he is good

ReputationRep:
    I'm not disputing that he's a good player in the Bayern Munich side. However, his inclusion in the England side is as bizarre as that of Theo Walcott with his lack of experience in the setup and in the English game, meaning that a different choice would have been preferable.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. The refs are merely following orders from FIFA. It is FIFA that are the shambles, IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    If sven 'hated' carrick then he would not have selected him in the squad!

ReputationRep:
    Dont agree, because it is impossible to tell whether a player is injured or not, where they land, what they land on, speed, force, fitness etc etc, there are so many factors that injure a player, whether they are faking it or not a tv screen will not show who has faked injury, maybe who has dived, but not injury.

ReputationRep:
    Blame Sepp Blatter!

ReputationRep:
    What if a player suddenly got a cramp and it borugh him to the ground, it would look like he is diving because there is no challange bieng made on him, yet he is actualy going down for good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Should we introduce another card? i mean yellow cards are given out for anything now.. like disagreeing or 'time wasting' or kicking a ball away (even though they have hundreds in the stadium) etc..
    Should there be a different card like a green one for bad sportsmanship as such..?

ReputationRep:
    No. Tough rules are needed to keep otherwise pompous soccer players in check. We're fine with both red and yellow cards.

ReputationRep:
    Well the finally decided to play. 2-0 Switzerland. Shame their histrionics seem to have overshadowed their performances on the pitch...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.