Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    What if a player suddenly got a cramp and it borugh him to the ground, it would look like he is diving because there is no challange bieng made on him, yet he is actualy going down for good reason.
    With replays, it is quite easy to tell if it's a genuine injury or not. You can see in their facial expression, the way they go to ground etc if they are faking it.

ReputationRep:
    Cant believe they were even moaning about it.
    ITs the ****ing WC you should play for free

ReputationRep:
    We will see how truely **** he is when he starts tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask if ANYONE is a fan of Owen Hargreaves?? I think he's totally pointless, and useless, but someone must like him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    We will see how truely **** he is when he starts tomorrow
    Just a question, even though you think he's crap, will you still be supporting him as a member of the England team? Because that's what the whole debate was about, it doesnt matter who he is, once he's playing you have to support the guy. I mean I'd rather play Carrick there but Hargreaves has got much more experience, Champions League winner, tens of caps, etc. so I can understand his selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Cant believe they were even moaning about it.
    ITs the ****ing WC you should play for free
    Yeah, but they were promised the money, so inevitably they'd be pretty hacked off if they then didn't get it. I mean some of their players don't even play professional football and the money would be a huge bonus for them. I think the media have just created the impression that they're all just tossers for demanding this money, but the fact it had been promised to them makes a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    I think that in this world cup, yellow cards are being brandished too often, for silly reasons or for decent tackles!

ReputationRep:
    I think all the players should be given a card to keep in their pocket so that when the referee is a complete ass and books someone for a really stupid offence, they could send the ref off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    I think all the players should be given a card to keep in their pocket so that when the referee is a complete ass and books someone for a really stupid offence, they could send the ref off
    As I said in the refs thread, it's not really their fault. Thank FIFA for their attempts to combat allegations of foul play in the Italian game, meaning that they are being too heavy-handed this time around!

ReputationRep:
    No way. I think that yellow cards are being given too easily, as long as this is addressed the current system will work well, its just a problem getting refs to agree with other, one ref will give a yellow, another wont. I think the answer is not in another card, but a better coordination between fifa and the referees to try and create unity between all refs in what classifies as a yellow card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    Just a question, even though you think he's crap, will you still be supporting him as a member of the England team? Because that's what the whole debate was about, it doesnt matter who he is, once he's playing you have to support the guy. I mean I'd rather play Carrick there but Hargreaves has got much more experience, Champions League winner, tens of caps, etc. so I can understand his selection.
    sorry to intrude, i didin't realise a thread had been started about hargreaves. i'll support him as a member of the england team, but i don't think he should have been selected for the squad. He has taken the place of a striker, which we need. I think sven was brave for takin walcott, but his selection of either hargreaves or jenas instead of a striker was foolish. and thats comin from spurs fan. hargreaves may play well for bayern, but the german league is nowhere near as strong as it used to be, and i can't ever remember watching an england game where hargeaves has played, and thought wow he had a great, even good game.he's had enough chances at international level to avoid the argument that he plays well for bayern and thats why he has been selected. he's over 30 caps, but i can't remember him playin well, and i don't think he's proved himself at international level.

Hargreaves will play well tomorrow. A full 90 minutes will allow him to show us what he does for bayern and why he is one of their best players.

ReputationRep:
    He did it cos' he promised his teammates at Hapoel Tel Aviv he would if Ghana won. Just as a sign of solidarity. And sorry to be a bit of a pedant here but it's GHANAIAN!!! Not Ghanan (or Ghanalese I've even heard!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Well, you see, the Czechs speak a different language to us. This means they pronounce things differently. The 't' sound is a voiceless alveolar affricate and in many languages this is represented by the letter 'c'. Hence Rositsky.
    Haha love it! Are you a fellow linguist?

ReputationRep:
    on the subject of pundits - has anyone read Martin Kelner's slating of the ITV punditry/coverage/commentary in the Guardian today?! spot on!

I thought I was the only one who noticed Ruud Gullit's completely inappropiate and overuse of the phrase 'to be fair'

ReputationRep:
    I know this is uncalled for cos football seems to be everyone's new religion! But don't you guys get bored with the WorldCup fiesta that's going on? Everything now is associated with football! You would see football everywhere you turn without fail! It's just too much and I'm sick of it. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Anyone who doubts that population is a major factor is an idiot. Clearly there's more to it than this, but I never claimed that there wasn't.

And kpg actually proves my point for me. I stated that if the USA took 'soccer' seriously, they'd be a major force due to its size. India takes cricket seriously, and last time I checked they are a major force in cricket.
    Then how does the "population factor" explain teams like The Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, Spain, Italy, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altius Tendo)
    And sorry to be a bit of a pedant here but it's GHANAIAN!!! Not Ghanan (or Ghanalese I've even heard!).
    ghanan means gardener in hebrew, well its pronounced more like ga-nan

ReputationRep:
    Then how does the "population factor" explain teams like The Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, Spain, Italy, etc.?
    Only two of those countries you have mentioned have won the World Cup (Italy rather dubiously the first two times), and all (particularly France, Spain and Italy) are large countries population-wise. (c16m, 10m, 60m, 40m, 60m respectively - two with larger populkations than England)

Plus I refer you to my previous point that population size is one major factor, but not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    Haha love it! Are you a fellow linguist?
    No, but I asked a linguist about the pronunciation of Rosicky once and memorised their response so in future I'd look clever

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.