Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    bring lennon on at half time, situation depending of course, but I think his pace wouldn't last and he would run a defence ragged then

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous! You can't decide something like that on luck, there'd be outrage. Very glad it's not England potentially in that position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    He hasn't featured because he was awful in the England B friendly vs Belarus, which is a shame really as he's been excellent for Spurs in last few months.
    i think that is a bit of an exageration. He wasn't awful just not his best but then other then lennon most players were below par. Carrick should so start ahead of hargreeves it has to be said. alot of people who dont watch tottenham week in week out have an assumption that carrick is just a deep lying midfield player but he is far more then that. He is very much a simple player with the occasional fantastic through ball that hargreeves or lampard could only dream of. He is far more confident on the ball then hargreeves and would provide a much better balance for gerrard then lampard. Tackling is not his strongest point but it is not his weakest either and it is certainly better then lampards.

ReputationRep:
    he strikes me as a Arsenal player for some reason, Although its more likely he will go to united or chelsea, hopefully the former, I find considering their latest buys going to Chelsea almost demeans a player as "just another one" I think he would get more attention and better treatment at Man u or Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    It will not be choosen by corners, it goes like this

1) Points
    2) most goals scored
    3) least goals let in
    4) Most goals scored in match between the 2 teams in question
    5) flip of coin

These are the regulations as have been decided and kept to for many years, i dont know if it has ever come down to the flip of a coin before, but im certain they will stick to the regulations if it does.

I wont be too surpised if it comes down to this. If anything is to stop it from happening its most likely to be the result of England V Sweeden because trinidad wining 1-0 is a likely event after their recent peorformance but 2-0 exactly in the other match, i dont know about that, Sweeden could put one away, england may score more or less then 2 goals.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Is there anything in the official rule book to state what happens in situations like this? There should be and all teams taking part in the competition will know of them and have agreed.

It's just like in elections...if there is a dead heat between two candidates the returning officer has to come up with a way to decide the winner. I think at the local council elections this year at least two elections were dead heats and I think one was decided by drawing lots, the other by the toss of a coin.

ReputationRep:
    Thou the macth would not happen, cancel is the wrong word! If a team was to get i tihnk its 5 red cards, the match is called off, but the other team get a 3-0 win by defult, at least i think it is 3-0, but it is certainly a win by defult and the same would happen here, it goes down as if the match happened so the bet would be valid.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst there have certainly been poor decisions, many of the 'harsh' decisions have been due to instructions by fifa to clamp down on certain things.

All that i have heard is that they are suposed to clamp down on time wasting, diving and bad tackles. They have been told to always give yellow cards for a tackle from behind.

They where also told that in a 'hit and miss' offside position ie where it is to close to call, advantage should be given to the attacking team.

I didnt see this happen when sweeden got 2 offsides called gainst them where honestly where onside and the player would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper both times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    Is there anything in the official rule book to state what happens in situations like this? There should be and all teams taking part in the competition will know of them and have agreed.

It's just like in elections...if there is a dead heat between two candidates the returning officer has to come up with a way to decide the winner. I think at the local council elections this year at least two elections were dead heats and I think one was decided by drawing lots, the other by the toss of a coin.
    Well yes what did you think i meant by by 'its in the regulations' thay have a protocol to follow.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    Well yes what did you think i meant by by 'its in the regulations' thay have a protocol to follow.
    You post wasn't there when I went to write my post :p:

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think will win? Ive got a tenner on england!

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal are interested in signing Saviola from Barcelona which is much more realistic for them than Torres. I think Torres will stay in Spain for another couple of seasons unless Atletico suddenly decide they want the money and sell him to one of the big clubs.

David Villa is better than him anyways...

ReputationRep:
    Ideally 2-0 - both set up by Rooney and scored by Owen, and a clean sheet for Robbo and the defence.

Probably 2-1 - Swedes scoring early and then us struggling to score but playing better.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    he strikes me as a Arsenal player for some reason, Although its more likely he will go to united or chelsea, hopefully the former, I find considering their latest buys going to Chelsea almost demeans a player as "just another one" I think he would get more attention and better treatment at Man u or Arsenal
    i agree, but imagine him at arsenal, and if all things work out, imagine having Saviola and Torres upfront! henry would probably play just behind them in a totti sort of position in the centre, that would be amazing!

ReputationRep:
    The referees have simply been following the FIFA directives, so we're seeing things punished to levels that we simply aren't used to. However, we'll probably see more of the stuff we're seeing from refs in WC '06 applied in PL and FL this coming season.

As to the standard and consistancy of these rules being applied across the World Cup so far; there has been some terrible refereeing demonstrated so far.

I believe that so far our very own Graham Poll and his team of English assistant referees have been the best performing so far.

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing of football, after i placed my bet (my first) my friends said england were through, so they didnt care if they won!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Ideally 2-0 - both set up by Rooney and scored by Owen, and a clean sheet for Robbo and the defence.

Probably 2-1 - Swedes scoring early and then us struggling to score but playing better.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drew.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Not beaten the Swedes in 38 years I was hearing on the radio comig hiome from work. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Bizaare as it would be, theres nothing else they can do really as things are all tied up.

This circumstance is in the rules of most sports as the last resort if all their other methods of seperating a tie have proven unsuccessful.

And the thing with this low scoring group B is that the scoring margins required for this circumstance is not beyond the scope of possibility !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    I wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Not beaten the Swedes in 38 years I was hearing on the radio comig hiome from work. :eek:
    I'm fed up of hearing that statistic. Bout time we knocked it.

ReputationRep:
    1-0 to England or 1-1 with J.Cole to score.

Any takers?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.