• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krazy-Kid)
    Who me? :mad:
    How the hell are you going to sort the England team out?

ReputationRep:
    People are dissapointed with a draw. But we should be bloody happy. How many times did the ball hit our crossbar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    What the hell is wrong with England? Why can't they ever go on and kill off their opponents? They are the most frustrating team to watch.

Joe Cole was outstanding, and I thought Hargreaves had a really good game. Lampard once again did absolutely nothing, his only contribution was a couple of tame long-range efforts. Beckham's set-pieces were poor, and the defence was awful. Combine that with Owen's injury (he will not play again in this tournament, did you see the way his knee popped out? :eek: ) and the only real positive thing to come out of the game is the fact that we don't have to play Germany in the next round.

We should definitely start with Hargreaves and Gerrard in the next game.
    amen to that, Gerrard was excellent and Hargreaves, altho I don't normally like him did v well and Beckham really didn't have a good game, tame set pieces/corners and the swedish players got away from his marking in their set pieces.

However we did have a decent first half, we were better with passing the ball and a lot quicker. Sweden only looked really dangerous from their set pieces/corners. What annoyed me was that with 5 midfielders in the second half we couldn't keep possession in the middle and top half of the pitch, all we had to do was hold possession, play at our tempo and perhaps work something through, but we kept booting up and hoping for the best.

I don't like having one striker up front, we need two up there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    That ******* better sort things out, coz England ain't gonna win jack at this rate.
    Who exactly are you referring to there? Sven??

I'm not sure exactly what he's supposed to do in this situation as there isn't a whole lot that you can definitively pinpoint at this stage that we are doing wrong. Yes I know our defending became very poor but Sven is now limited in his options for replacements...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloePrice)
    lol u seriously think that Owen being injured has hurt our chances of winning the world cup?

you love this guy don't you! ?
    Yes, I do. People seem to have short memories. Owen did not play well in the group stages last time, but in the knockouts scored goals. He's a big time player and I really had a feeling that he would come good.
    Plus, now we've only got 2 proper strikers, what with Sven not playing Walcott.
    I was just relieved to go through today w/o playing Germany. Once Owen went off, the game was a bit anticlimatic I thought.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, sweden performed as expected, England failed to perform as expected, a defense like the one which let in that long throw would be ripped apart by Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    ENGLANDDDDDDDDD!!!! COME ON ENGLAND!!! We will SO beat Ecuador

ReputationRep:
    You weren't too bad. the first half you really ruled the game we didn't even touch the ball.

ReputationRep:
    It is still 38 years we have not beaten Sweden! Man, we just don't want to beat them do we? We were 2 minutes away from doing that and we threw away out best chance of doing so.
    Jo Cole was really good tonight! 1 amazing goal and one assist. Owen Hargreaves played really well today too-especially in the 1st half!

ReputationRep:
    Ferdinand and Campbell will usualy make some mistake in a game, y not play terry and carragher in the middle and neville right back? Unless neville is injured , im not sure about that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmitz)

I'm not sure exactly what he's supposed to do in this situation as there isn't a whole lot that you can definitively pinpoint at this stage that we are doing wrong. Yes I know our defending became very poor but Sven is now limited in his options for replacements...
    The thing they are not doing is killing off teams once they've scored their first goal. As soon as they score, they just sort of... well... stop playing, and look fragile all over the pitch. It's baffling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmitz)

Yes, Sven.

Hargreaves?

Why not Carrick?

Don't pick on the example.

He could change it all around, and out of all our 3 games, NONE of them have been convincing.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney is not doing as well as he should. Even Own didnt play that well this world cup.

ReputationRep:
    definetely a few positives from this, maybe there should be hargreaves and Gerrard in central midfiled now, Hargreaves holding, gerrard attacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forza_milan)
    Ferdinand and Campbell will usualy make some mistake in a game, y not play terry and carragher in the middle and neville right back? Unless neville is injured , im not sure about that..
    I thought that until the corner mess-up, Campbell was playing well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6+6=6)
    hmmm, sweden performed as expected, England failed to perform as expected, a defense like the one which let in that long throw would be ripped apart by Brazil.
    I disagree with that.. pretty much all of Sweden's attack came from set play and Brazil are known for their flair and talents in open play (though Ronaldinhio does take mean free kicks :p: )
    Once again we have been shown that Gerrad > Lampard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    It is still 38 years we have not beaten Sweden! Man, we just don't want to beat them do we? We were 2 minutes away from doing that and we threw away out best chance of doing so.
    Jo Cole was really good tonight! 1 amazing goal and one assist. Owen Hargreaves played really well today too-especially in the 1st half!
    You wouldn't have made the first goal if our keeper hadn't been day dreaming..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lokoko1)
    Rooney is not doing as well as he should. Even Own didnt play that well this world cup.
    I wonder why Rooney's not doing that well? Could be because he's just come back from injury and has not got as much match fitness...

ReputationRep:
    Holland v Argentina decides that group. runner up of that group plays portugals group's winner (likely to be them)

so say Holland v Portugal (Argentina will probably beat Holland) then England vs Ecuador, winners play each other

I would rather play Holland..hmm not sure (IF we get through, what I hate is that everyone assumes ecuador shouldn't be too hard, but we know very little about them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I thought that until the corner mess-up, Campbell was playing well.
    definitely, he made one amazing block when larrson came down the centre

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.