• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    gah! everyone keeps moaning about an out and out striker
    OUR MIDFIELD PARTNERSHIP HAVE SCORED 40 GOALS+
    they just need a DM with them! (and perhaps fat frank to lose some weight + get his form back)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzy)
    poor owen i hope it miraculously turns out to be nothing serious!
    Maybe we can all pray for a miracle.
    I'm not sure even Rooney would be able to recover from that injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Was Crouch still on at the end? If he was, he was invisible. And if he was invisible, how much worse could Walcott have been. Sven should have played him! Today was the game he could and he messed that up. Just shows how crap his descision was to take Walcott ahead of Defoe seeing that Walcott won't even play. What's going to happen if heaven forbid another striker gets injured? Is he still not going to play Walcott? I guess not!
    And you know what, Sven's leaving after the world cup, so he probably doesn't care about the flak he will get for leaving out Defoe.

*Rant over*-for now!
    Yep, i was thinking exactly the same thing during the match, as i was wondering what on easrth we could do for the rest of the tournament.

ReputationRep:
    If they still wanna play 4-4-2 then it has to be lampard who has to move out to let gerrard play, otherwise sven should be shot.. he cant keep playing people just because they scored the most number of goals in qualifying or watever..Gerrard is better than lampard in every aspect of football..(you could say lampard just looks better than him) - j.cole,hargreaves,gerrard,lennon would be the best midfield by far at the moment in a 4-4-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    gah! everyone keeps moaning about an out and out striker
    OUR MIDFIELD PARTNERSHIP HAVE SCORED 40 GOALS+
    they just need a DM with them! (and perhaps fat frank to lose some weight + get his form back)
    The fact is strikers will always score most of your goals. Just look at the world cup so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6+6=6)
    couldnt have said it better. seems like he's coming back without playing a match.
    Too right! Having said that, to play Theo tonight under the circumstances might not have been a wise move given the pressure we were under. Gerrard was the difference in the all-important second goal and I don't think we could have brought a little player such as Theo (or even Owen had he still been on) into the game from the position we were in. Our heads had dropped and we reverted to type with those infuriating long balls that Beanpole never picks up :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't impressed with England again. The one thing this game shows is that all the people who have said playing Gerrard holds Lampard back in midfield are compltely wrong. Lampard was non-exsistent throughout the game.

ReputationRep:
    Are we ever going to use Walcott? Why the hell is he in Germany??

ReputationRep:
    Poor guy got a bad (probably bad anyway) injury within 2 minutes of the Sweden game. I don;t get it, he has such bad luck with injuries. It seems as if either his injuries last longer than he hopes for or that he recovers from one injury and then gets injured again. Noone deserves that.
    Also, he missed his chance of scoring in every world cup he has played in.
    He comes good usually against good sides, and I reckon could have done the same in this tournament.
    England need an out an out striker!!!

ReputationRep:
    ^ on holiday to pick up some German girls :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok then you seem to have much to talk about....:shakehand :cheers: Thanks for a game which both you and I can be quite content with..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Are we ever going to use Walcott? Why the hell is he in Germany??
    Good question. I will answer it by posing another; why isn't Gary O'Neil in the squad? :confused:

Henrik Larsson is such a git.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Poor guy got a bad (probably bad anyway) injury within 2 minutes of the Sweden game. I don;t get it, he has such bad luck with injuries. It seems as if either his injuries last longer than he hopes for or that he recovers from one injury and then gets injured again. Noone deserves that.
    Also, he missed his chance of scoring in every world cup he has played in.
    He comes good usually against good sides, and I reckon could have done the same in this tournament.
    England need an out an out striker!!!
    Its not just owen but an England jinx.

I pray that its just some kind of minor twist that at first is worse than it actually is. Ligaments may mean a late start to the season as well.

Regarding an out and out striker, i completely agree and cant understand why you go into a tournament with 4 strikers where one is injured, one has come back from an injury and Walcott who hasnt impressed you enough to play him.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone actually touch that throw in which led to the 2nd goal? iunno to me it seemed to just bounce past everyone and into the goal..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    Its not just owen but an England jinx.

I pray that its just some kind of minor twist that at first is worse than it actually is. Ligaments may mean a late start to the season as well.
    He missed enough of last season as it is!

ReputationRep:
    I echo your sentiments. It seems that England has had bad luck with injuries in recent times as well - Beckham last world cup, Rooney in Portugal 2004 and again this year, and Michael Owen having only played 6 hours of football in 2006 and getting injured badly again. Very disappointing from a fan's point of view, let alone for the players themselves

Get well soon Michael.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmitz)
    Well at least we still have Crouch...
    Don't know if Crouch did anything good today. Not sure he can cut it against the better teams.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that too but I thought it was just me! Would have to take a closer look at that again though...

ReputationRep:
    Theo and rooney up front?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry5069)
    Anyone else think it's getting slightly worrying for England, Rooney just coming back from injury, Owen suddenly looking injured for the whole tournament, what happens if Crouch gets a yellow card tonight and the only fit available forward is Theo Walcott. Do we think Sven's made a small mistake?:confused:
    I think Walcott hasnt impressed Erikkson at all, and it was a gamble that didnt pay off.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.