west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    gah! everyone keeps moaning about an out and out striker
    OUR MIDFIELD PARTNERSHIP HAVE SCORED 40 GOALS+
    they just need a DM with them! (and perhaps fat frank to lose some weight + get his form back)
    Yes you're right.... if you're happy with just wanting Gerrard and Lampard to take long range shots and hoping one of them flies in.

Not having an out and out striker IS a problem, and it's Sven's fault for omitting Defoe and/or Bent. Either of these strikers would have been a suitable receiver for the genius of Rooney and Joe Cole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    Yes you're right.... if you're happy with just wanting Gerrard and Lampard to take long range shots and hoping one of them flies in.

Not having an out and out striker IS a problem, and it's Sven's fault for omitting Defoe and/or Bent. Either of these strikers would have been a suitable receiver for the genius of Rooney and Joe Cole.
    Aha Svennis fault I knew it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankan)
    lastname?
    I know, I know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    At least there's still one Owen left in the tournament, and he came good today!
    Yep hopefully the media won't be as critical of him tommorow, he may be used more if M. Owen's injury is serious.

ReputationRep:
    it's a shame! his form was pretty poor but that was only due to lack of games! he could have been vital for us in the later stages when he got a bit sharper! I am not a fan of Crouch but he seems to be suprising me lately but definatly a huge blow and hope we can keep the other two fit.

ReputationRep:
    Felt awful for him I used to idolise him when he played at Liverpool and still have a soft spot for him. I hope it's not as bad as we fear Michael, Good luck. x

ReputationRep:
    Now it's gone to England set to lose Owen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/5100516.stm

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, i'm thinknd we need to bang Gerrard up front. He plays there occaisionally for Liverpool and goddammit we know our Midfield are far higher goal scorers than our strikers!! This will also enable Gerrard and Lamps to stay out of each others ways.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that Theo will probably not get a chance to have a run out. he is a big risk him being taken, but him being there is good experience for him and can only help him. I would like to see Gerrard pushed forward with Carrick/Heargreaves and lampard in midfield. Crouch winds me up each time he plays, but then manages to score. he is not world cup quality in my opinion.
    back to Theo, from what i have seen of him he is a talented player but would much rather seen defoe coming on to replace an injured owen than crouch coming on and Theo on the bench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Seriously, i'm thinknd we need to bang Gerrard up front. He plays there occaisionally for Liverpool and goddammit we know our Midfield are far higher goal scorers than our strikers!! This will also enable Gerrard and Lamps to stay out of each others ways.
    Yeah, actually, that sounds good. He can score goals, which we need!

ReputationRep:
    I saw him live at medjaski against Belarus the atmoshpere was amazing when he came on.

ReputationRep:
    Crap.

Same old England. Crap manager, crap tactics....so very little possession....

Burning questions....

Why exactly bring Walcott? Just why??? :confused:

Why only take 4 strikers, when two aren't match-fit (one of which is now cropped whilst the remaining player, Rooney, is still acquiring match fitness) and one (Walcott) hasn't even played a Premiership game yet, and a player Eriksson hasn't even seen play!!!!

Eriksson is an idiot, he will get slated in tomorrows press, and he will get slated more when we either lose against Ecuador or in the round proceeding this.

Club players, England are arguably in possession of the best players for club, but it never gels for England. Why? Are the players so good that they cannot gel with fellow fantastic footballers??? Or do we blame eriksson on the majority of the problems??

Of course, i'm sure i'm just adding to many posts going along this line of reasoning et cetera....i'm just pissed off that it is 'same old England'. No wonder my expectations going into a major tournament are always markedly low...success breeds expectation afterall, and a nice qualifying record isn't success in my eyes...it may well be in Erikssons, but he's a ****. The only legacy Eriksson will have is being in possession of a decent qualifying record....how lame and he gets what...errr £5 million per annum?? :mad: Leave me ****ing mad...meanwhile, he somehow pulls lookers like Ulrika Johnson...he's a ****ing mystery...especially his match 'tactics'.

ReputationRep:
    there is a lot of talk of the guys stepping up the pace in the knock out rounds..perhaps Theo will be that? Highly doubtful I know but you can still have hope!
    It's not looking good for the rest of the world cup now though.

ReputationRep:
    bent ftw.. its just that he isnt in the back up squad which is sad =(

ReputationRep:
    I think when owen came off Walcott should have come on... Sweden seemed to lack pace at the back... so imagine Rooney and Walcott chasing balls.

ReputationRep:
    true

ReputationRep:
    anyone reading this would be thinking we got drummed 5-0...

ReputationRep:
    yeah we've totally messed up on the strikers front. Meh! We'll probs make it through next round [not doing so would be an embarrassment, surely] but we'll be knocked out after that. If we faced Spain, Italy - even Holland, we're screwed. Those teams + the obv Brazil/Argentina are far superior to us.

ReputationRep:
    This whole Theo Walcott stuff has been totally over-hyped. Sven is ridiculous. The fact that Owen is injured, possibly for the rest of the World Cup, Rooney's performance is by no means certain and the reluctance to put Walcott out means we're left with Crouch, who is just ****.

We should have taken Bent or Defoe, they're decent Premiership strikers.

ReputationRep:
    It;s a pity, because we really do have a decent set of players. Pity the coach has messed up some.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.