Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    The mind boggles...why bring Walcott instead of Defoe if you're not going to play him?

He was a bit of a headless chicken against Belarus, but a very quick one at that...I think he has to be given a go at some stage. The top sides will be able to handle Crouch's aerial 'prowess', and he seems to steal Rooney's thunder by playing in the hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy_sdx)
    I agree to all of that...but think...maybe he wanted to use this game as an experiment?
    Experiment? When we wanted to avoid Germany, and nearly got them had we been beaten by Sweden...i don't really feel we were experimenting. It certainly wasn't the 'right' game for experimenting, as i'd see ourselves going out of the tournament if we were to play Germany. They're playing well as a team, akin to Barcelona, whereas England are playing so messy and eccentric...like errr??? God knows....

It's saddening, i feel for the players. Some (well, many) tactics of eriksson's are absurd. Maybe we will not win the world cup because of erikssons tactics...we should have some people (player) power and overthrow the swedish nobber...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    I think Walcott hasnt impressed Erikkson at all, and it was a gamble that didnt pay off.
    Did he not even see him train for Arsenal? He must have impressed him at some stage for him to be picked...

ReputationRep:
    BBC report that the scans will most likely confirm Owen missing the rest of the tournament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/5100516.stm

Darn! Now we have to struggle with only 2 strikers. This is quite possibly one of the worst things that could happen to England. 1st Gary Neville and now Owen, with Rio a slight doubt for the next match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    BBC report that the scans will most likely confirm Owen missing the rest of the tournament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/5100516.stm

Darn! Now we have to struggle with only 2 strikers. This is quite possibly one of the worst things that could happen to England. 1st Gary Neville and now Owen, with Rio a slight doubt for the next match.
    From the sounds of things, Rio Ferdinand is more than a slight doubt...if our midfield and strikers are firing, then we should be ok against Ecuador...they arguably have quite a weak defence. Neville has a groin problem, he's missed the last two games and could be out for the remainder of the tournament *scan permitting*, so 'steady on' with expectations regarding Ferdinand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    When i saw it happen, i could see he was not comming back on, but i thought it was nothing too serious. Sven has said that owen is unlikely to return this world cup and that we will find out tomorow.

Honestly, he has not played well and i dont think he will be missed, crouch can do just as good of a job.
    I couldnt agree more. Of course I feel for the man if it serious and I wouldnt wish serious injury on anyone. But in terms of what this means for England - lets get it into perspective. The press keep going on about it like this is essentially the end of England's chances of winning the World Cup something, when the truth is Owen was unfit anyway and offering very little when he played. Though not a huge fan of Crouch - he is/was performing better than Owen so far in the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    The ball shouldn't have been allowed to get that far in the first place.
    True, he's not the only one to blame. Terry missed it completely, Campbell was left flat footed but Hargreaves should have tracked the man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    previous to this tournament.

I take your point about Gerrard playing as a DM, but Lampard did play a very good tournament at euro 04, and while Gerrard's natural position is not DM, we do hear people talking about his versatilty and how he can defend etc. yet his perfmances in euro 04 were pretty poor.
    To be honest I do think Lampard has been better for England than Gerrard in the past but he has more of a free role.
    But I dont think you can ever say he has played well for England but he has been getting goals so nobody has really questioned it. Now the goals have dried up, Gerrard should be ahead of him.

ReputationRep:
    there have been links between united and torres all over the press, having said that, it looks like its between united and chelsea. Whether Chelsea will show an interest just to push the price up or not, it seems more likely that he would be attracted by Chelsea. Having said that, partnering Wayne Rooney up front is more attractive than any partnership chelsea have to offer.

ReputationRep:
    Remember this... :p: :rolleyes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-E6weZIdG8

(Original post by mancred)
    partnering Wayne Rooney up front is more attractive than any partnership chelsea have to offer.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Well he was inevitably out of the WC but that aside its a great shame.

ReputationRep:
    Has this been properly announced or just speculation?

ReputationRep:
    Our world cup campaign is resting on Beckham and Gerrard. You saw Rooney play yesterday, hes not in form and is not going to be at any stage of the tournement, Sven regrets chooseing walcott, i know so because if he belived in Walcott he would have brought him on against sweeden when he took Rooney off.

Rooney may steal a goal but dont expect magic from him, like i said, our goals are going to come from Beckhams throughballs, and Gerard will put them away.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Newcastle fan, and I'm am fed up with injuries. £17 million, and he's made 11 appearances in a season and a half, effectively.

What makes this even worse is that England don't pay his wages, and they played him knowing he wasn't match fit. I think the FA should be paying out some sort of compensation, or I think Fat Fred will go mental. That's if he hasn't already!

ReputationRep:
    Awful news for Michael, I hope he gets back sooner rather than later, cruciate damage can be very serious.

(Original post by no.1toonfan)
    What makes this even worse is that England don't pay his wages, and they played him knowing he wasn't match fit. I think the FA should be paying out some sort of compensation, or I think Fat Fred will go mental. That's if he hasn't already!
    We have had the same problem with Djibril Cisse, I think as it stands at the moment the FA etc do not have to pay out to the club, which is why there was hassle with the G14 who wanted this to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Aw Micheal Owen is a hero too

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the injury was to do with his fitness... he was fit enough to play but was playing to get his form back aka match fitness and international level..
    still.. must be very dissapointing to Newcastle fans. Hopefully he can recover soon and be back to top form after Christmas time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no.1toonfan)
    I'm a Newcastle fan, and I'm am fed up with injuries. £17 million, and he's made 11 appearances in a season and a half, effectively.

Playing in matches is the only way to improve his match fitness. And this injury has nothing to do with his foot problem.

So don't blame England or the FA - it's just very bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle are going to get relegated. Fantastic!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.