Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dantanion)
    Newcastle are going to get relegated. Fantastic!
    Why so? Owen hardly appeared for you this season and you have made it so far :s:.. or maybe you are just being Melodramatic :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No im a boro fan and hate the geordies.. they WILL go down..

ReputationRep:
    They won't.

This is a great shame, very unfortunate... thoughts have to be with Owen atm. Poor guy, and he's supposed to be in his prime. Hopefully he'll be playing good football again by Christmas.

The stupid thing about Owen being out for England is the way Sven didn't give Walcott a run. Whats the point of choosing a player (and it's not like he was the only option) that you don't actually think is worth playing. I can see why he switched to a midfield 5, but at the same time, giving Walcott a run might have been more effective in terms of seeing what he can do late in a game against world class opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mute)
    The stupid thing about Owen being out for England is the way Sven didn't give Walcott a run. Whats the point of choosing a player (and it's not like he was the only option) that you don't actually think is worth playing. I can see why he switched to a midfield 5, but at the same time, giving Walcott a run might have been more effective in terms of seeing what he can do late in a game against world class opposition.
    Ljungberg knows all about Walcott; he'd have briefed the Swedish management.

As for being a substitute: Walcott was a starter in all the matches that there are online clips of him playing in, never a sub. Perhaps despite all his talent he has difficulty getting into games that've already begun.

Consider that besides name-checking him, we haven't heard a word of Theo from the England camp, not even any training photos besides simple drills. Remember that the World Cup is, in essence, two tournaments - a league and a knock-out competition. Different types of gameplan are required.

I hope Eriksson will unleash his starlet in spectacularly successful fashion.

thoughts go out to him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ron Stoppable)
    Ljungberg knows all about Walcott; he'd have briefed the Swedish management.

As for being a substitute: Walcott was a starter in all the matches that there are online clips of him playing in, never a sub. Perhaps despite all his talent he has difficulty getting into games that've already begun.

Consider that besides name-checking him, we haven't heard a word of Theo from the England camp, not even any training photos besides simple drills. Remember that the World Cup is, in essence, two tournaments - a league and a knock-out competition. Different types of gameplan are required.

I hope Eriksson will unleash his starlet in spectacularly successful fashion.
    Sven is too much of a t*t to do anything spectacular :rolleyes:. I heard all you say about Walcott but I still think he should have been given a run like hussy mute said

Hargreaves man of the match for me and Joe Cole...i say play Hargreaves and Gerrard in the center!

ReputationRep:
    Drop Beckham and allow Gerrard to play the role he plays at Liverpool = WC WIN!

ReputationRep:
    I feel sooooooooooooooooooo sorry for Walcott. Surely not coming on against Sweden must damage the poor kid's confidence a lot. So, if you take it that way, maybe this trip may have done more harm than good-confidence-wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forkwise)
    Did he not even see him train for Arsenal? He must have impressed him at some stage for him to be picked...
    No he never saw him at all. He was just chosen on the advice of Arsene Wenger and, as much respect as I have for Wenger, he is not the England manager!

Sven was still talking at the press conference about how Walcott has not yet been played but then went on to talk about Joe Cole and Steven Gerrard, perhaps indicating that he has no intention of playing Theo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I feel sooooooooooooooooooo sorry for Walcott. Surely not coming on against Sweden must damage the poor kid's confidence a lot. So, if you take it that way, maybe this trip may have done more harm than good-confidence-wise.
    wot about defoe!? hes been one of the premierships top striker and some before the world cup a 17-year old kid who hasnt played in the premiership gets picked ahead of him!!

ReputationRep:
    awww.... :mad: Owen is my favourite player from England's team and all World Cup.... nevertheless, i'll support England!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominatas)
    awww.... :mad: Owen is my favourite player from England's team and all World Cup.... nevertheless, i'll support England!
    Ditto. It must be gutting to miss the world cup. I went to the muslim women's games in Iran last year to play five aside football. One of my friends and team captain managed to get injured within a few minutes of the first match and was not able to play in the tournament. On a smaller scale, but it was still gutting for her. I can't imagine how it would be for Owen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jez18)
    wot about defoe!? hes been one of the premierships top striker and some before the world cup a 17-year old kid who hasnt played in the premiership gets picked ahead of him!!
    I agree that Defoe should have been taken. Maybe, Walcott may feel that he is of no use to the squad and may himself be wishing that Defoe was here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmitz)
    No he never saw him at all. He was just chosen on the advice of Arsene Wenger and, as much respect as I have for Wenger, he is not the England manager!

Sven was still talking at the press conference about how Walcott has not yet been played but then went on to talk about Joe Cole and Steven Gerrard, perhaps indicating that he has no intention of playing Theo?
    Wenger is twice the manager Sven will ever be should've offered him the job.
    yea fine Crouch isnt 'world class' atleast hes stepping up to the plate and scoring unlike our 'world class' fat frank, id say Beckham hasnt either but his crosses led to a couple of goals so fair play

ReputationRep:
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I've seen Walcott play. He's good for his age and inexperience.
    Play him now? NO NO NO. Gerrard can play up front, even Joe Cole if we are pushed. We've got plenty of midfielders to have a shake about there, we don't need to send Walcott out like a lamb to the slaughter. HE shouldn't even be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    I am certain that 99% percent of the people who criticise Hargreaves have never seen him play for Bayern.
    Exactly. This is what really ****s me off. Some people are totally ignorant. They think because Bayern Munich are not an English team, they are on par with the worst team in the French Antilles. He's a good player- IN THE POSITION HE PLAYS. I wish people would wake up and realise that a proper defensive midfielder is vital, and we are lucky to have one in Hargreaves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))
    i say play Hargreaves and Gerrard in the center!
    That would be my dream scenario but Little MO has put paid to that, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Hargreaves was at fault for the second goal, dont know what he let the attacker go
    *******s. the person responsible for the second goal was paul robinson. he should have come for it. and what was sol flapping at?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.