Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    You should be aware that reproducing Fixtures from the FA Premier League is in fact a copyright infringement.

Several Man Utd fan sites have been threatened with legal action as a result of reproducing fixture lists, so if I was you, I’d consider removing the list.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Mufc

ReputationRep:
    So. It’s all over. Maybe you’re secretly thrilled, maybe it’s not even a secret how thrilled you are, maybe you couldn’t care less (if so, don't bother reading on, this is massive). But these are my feelings on the subject, a rant, if you will. A lament for the 2006 World Cup USA team, knocked out in the first round.
    Many (most?) of you on the international stage had no illusions whatsoever about the strength of this team, despite its optimistic ranking pre-Germany. Fifth was just a tad high. Top 10 would have been too high. And this ranking drew the ire of people whose countries’ teams were so wrongly placed below the US, set the team up as a target. You yourself probably laughed at the idea that the US could do well in this World Cup.
    But you have to understand how we started to latch onto the idea. Fifth isn’t exactly the best, we thought, but it’s pretty high! We have a solid team. Hell, we even some players off in them fancy European leagues! We’ve got our stars - Landon Donovan, Kasey Keller, Brian McBride. I personally have seen many of a game featuring the first of those players mentioned, a former San Jose Earthquake, don’t you know.
    And people got excited about the whole thing. This could be the one, we thought! Maybe not to win it all (although we will admit that we did allow ourselves to savor the idea in our minds once or twice, after all, soccer - sorry, football - is a sport for the underdogs as much as it is a game of champions) but at least to gain some international respect and recognition.
    People I would never have expected to be interested in soccer - sorry, football - were all of a sudden talking about it! In school my fellow students sat around bemoaning lost chances and referees! People used it as conversation starters! The newspapers ran multiple articles about the World Cup - everyday! They were heady times, my friends, heady times. And so, against my better judgment, I allowed myself to be sucked in a tiny bit. Maybe, just maybe, I thought. Maybe we’ll do well.
    And then - BAM - it all went horribly, horribly wrong. Now we gloomily shake our heads and mutter, “We knew we had no chance.” And we call for the coach’s head on a platter. And we look with disappointment on our players’ bowed heads.
    Even worse, we have to sit and listen to extended media coverage on a bad call. A penalty kick. When the call was made, we thought, “Oh ****,” and we were right. Because not only did that usher us out of the World Cup for good, but now we have to sit here and listen to our players blame the whole failure of a thing on this one PK. Have some dignity, men! You sucked. Admit it, move on, keep your head held high, say, “We’ll get ‘em next time.” Because maybe you will. But don’t ***** about this PK anymore. Oguchi Onyewu is a big man, he was bound to draw some size calls. You knew this, I knew this, we all knew this. A bad call is part of the game.
    People have stopped talking about it already. They don’t really care. We failed to inject passion into soccer - sorry, football - for them. The international community scoffs.
    So now, the one thing left to say should be considered said with the timeless spirit that keeps fans everywhere helplessly tied to their team, to the game. We’ll get ‘em next time.
    Oh yes, and one more thing. Thank goodness I’m a dual national. Go England!

ReputationRep:
    Man united will probably buy him unless they spend all their money on Carrick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    You should be aware that reproducing Fixtures from the FA Premier League is in fact a copyright infringement.

Several Man Utd fan sites have been threatened with legal action as a result of reproducing fixture lists, so if I was you, I’d consider removing the list.
    Club websites are not allowed to print them then?? :rolleyes:

I was worried Blackburn would be bottom after the first game (away at pompey at least it will be warm ) then i saw Sheffield Uniteds first game.

ReputationRep:
    Best english midfielder... oh right, apart from one decent free kick and a decent cross i recall him doing nothing this tournament... If his set pieces werent as good and he wasnt captain, he wouldnt be in the team... It has to be questioned that someone can be picked for their free kicks...

ReputationRep:
    The paper's have TOTALLY blown this out of proportion.
    What Sven meant was "If David Beckham gives me a reason to drop him, I wouldn't be pigheaded enough not to CONSIDER it". It's not a case of "I'll drop him because I can drop him"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellie)
    The paper's have TOTALLY blown this out of proportion.
    What Sven meant was "If David Beckham gives me a reason to drop him, I wouldn't be pigheaded enough not to CONSIDER it". It's not a case of "I'll drop him because I can drop him"
    Exactly. The media once again have made up their own version of events and will always continue to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)

I was worried Blackburn would be bottom after the first game then i saw....
    ...That chronically dire Aston Villa are playing Arsenal at the Emirates. That's got BATTERING all over it. I also think that Wigan might accidentally turn over Newcastle as well. Newcastle are ****ed this season, I'm certain.

ReputationRep:
    If MLS was actually in any way competitive US football would be several times better.

You also need a European coach.

ReputationRep:
    Crouch has been pretty poor during the WC, even if he was in good form before it. He's missed more than one sitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Crouch has been pretty poor during the WC, even if he was in good form before it. He's missed more than one sitter.
    That is true, but to be honest which England players have actually performed well apart from Joe Cole and probably Rio Ferdinand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    If MLS was actually in any way competitive US football would be several times better.

You also need a European coach.
    Definitely. Plus the fact that football is so far down the list of sporting priorities in the US doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted the USA to qualify, I always like to see Leeds players do well at international level (because we don't have many who compete in full squads) and I just luuurve Eddie Lewis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    That is true, but to be honest which England players have actually performed well apart from Joe Cole and probably Rio Ferdinand?
    His miss against Trinidad was just embarassing. I could hear the rest of the world laughing at us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Club websites are not allowed to print them then?? :rolleyes:

I was worried Blackburn would be bottom after the first game (away at pompey at least it will be warm ) then i saw Sheffield Uniteds first game.
    :doh: Noo....it's Man City who will be bottom. :p:

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    His miss against Trinidad was just embarassing. I could hear the rest of the world laughing at us.
    Yeah that was an awful miss, but he got the goal in the end to get us through that game with a win.

ReputationRep:
    I have been saying for months that we wouldn't perform as well as we could. We never really do.
    I'd love England to prove me wrong, and there is time...but only 90 minutes.

Re: Carrick. I don't like him in a holding role. It stills maintains the problem that we have when Lampard and Gerrard play together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellie)
    Re: Carrick. I don't like him in a holding role. It stills maintains the problem that we have when Lampard and Gerrard play together.
    The holding midfielder with 5 in midfielder does sort out the Lampard/Gerrard together problem because they are then both allowed to attack without one having to hold back. Thats what Svens trying to achieve, but then he's screwing up the strikers.

ReputationRep:
    Blackburn have quite a nice end to the season.... We have Reading at home last game of the season, that could be a relegation decide... If we are not already down by then...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.