• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vain)
    He's likely to go to Milan.

Liverpool and United can't afford him. He doesn't like Chelsea, so it leaves Milan.

Presuming of course that they aren't relegated along with Juventus et al

ReputationRep:
    just seen this

doesnt loook real though since it doesnt have that nike logo thingy on the back of it, also the material looks cheap hmm

opinions ?

ReputationRep:
    Straight after the Sweden game my initial thought was that 4-5-1 was definitely the way to go, as it suits our players best, and it appears Sven agrees.

However, after thinking about it for a while I'm struggling to see how this will work effectively. This is because both Rooney and Gerrard like to pick the ball up from relatively deep and run with it. The problem with this is that they are likely to be the two most advanced players, so either they will have nobody in front of them unless the wide players bomb on, or they will have to play with their backs to goal to hold up play rather than attack.

How does everyone else see this formation functioning. I think the way to make it work is to make sure there is always someone ahead of Rooney with Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Beckham all bombing down. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carrick replaced by Crouch at H/T and a switch to 4-4-2.

We're definitely much better than them but I am a little worried about this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parag)
    Nando's on his way to Old Trafford, trust me, I just texted my mate Jesus Gill

Perfect replacement for Van Nistelrooy I reckon, he's kind of a half way house between Saha's pace and Ruud's 6 yard ability, which I reckon is a better type of player to play with Rooney.

I don't see him staying in Spain, he can't really improve much more at Atletico and he's stated clearly in the past that he wouldn't want to play for any other Spanish team than his beloved Atletico.

And another thing, I hope to god United don't go for Ribery. Talent he undoubtedly has, but I hate the guy, he's the slimiest guy I've seen in a while, I just don't like the way he acts. Seen him a fair few times for Marseile this season and it's as if his whole game is centred on getting the other guy booked or sent off. And I know Cris has his moments, too, but this guy is like the next level.
    Hahah remember what he did in Turkey when playing for GS? as i know it he just walked out on the team. lol

ReputationRep:
    hey im spanish and the media is saying that he´ll go to man u, thho his team wants 35 million of euros and man u just offer 30 , but they will reach an agreement.
    Hope he goes cos is a very gd player and his team is really crap and cant do his best, so in manchester with rooney and ronaldoo he will kick ass, ull c.

ReputationRep:
    Ribery's good, but considering his natural talent I'd expect him to be a lot better since he's 23. He lacks composure and isn't always good at making decisions (eg when one-on-one with the keeper in the WC, instead of scoring or sliding the ball to Henry, he overhit a ball behind Henry wasting France's best chance).

Maybe it's because he's played for six clubs already and never really settled in any of them. Imagine how good he's be if Wenger had coached since he was 18 or 19.

ReputationRep:
    We need to play patiently, passing the ball around and letting midfielders get forward to support Rooney. Long balls won't work in this game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    What the hell is up with that pitch in that clip? Don't you have dedicated football stadiums yet? I would have thought so after the World Cup in America. Still, he wouldn't be able to score that kind of goal in Europe, that defending was ****e
    They do have quite a few dedicated football stadiums in the US, I don't know why he's playing on an American football pitch in that clip.

Adu needs to come to Europe as early as he can before he gets used to the poor defending in the MLS.

ReputationRep:
    Football just wouldn't be the same without them. Nothing is quite as funny as a commetator tripping over their words in their effort to keep up with the ball. Some of my personal favourites...

'There's a real international flavour to this World Cup." - Jimmy Armfield, Radio 5 Live

"You need at least eight or nine men in a ten-man wall." Mark Lawrenson

"He's very quick for a man of his age. I suppose you'd call him ageless. He's 33 or 34." David Pleat

"A deflection - that's what changed the course of the ball." Jim Beglin, ITV1

"That's their tactic here - don't get beaten." Mick McCarthey, BBC1

(courtesy of Private Eye)

Post your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Ribery's good, but considering his natural talent I'd expect him to be a lot better since he's 23. He lacks composure and isn't always good at making decisions (eg when one-on-one with the keeper in the WC, instead of scoring or sliding the ball to Henry, he overhit a ball behind Henry wasting France's best chance).

Maybe it's because he's played for six clubs already and never really settled in any of them. Imagine how good he's be if Wenger had coached since he was 18 or 19.

keep in mind alot of players tend to play better for their club then country, i.e. lampard! (not saying that hes bad, coz he isn't, just that he plays better for chelsea then england) )

ReputationRep:
    'If it had gone in, it would have been a goal' - BARRY DAVIES

'You don't score 64 goals in 86 games without being able to score goals.' - ALAN GREEN

^^^^^^^ googled of course :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYE)
    Hahah remember what he did in Turkey when playing for GS? as i know it he just walked out on the team. lol
    To be fair, it appears that there were mitigating circumstances
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Ribery

ReputationRep:
    I agree that Freddy Adu needs to go to another country where football has a huge tradition- Europe, yes, but playing elswewhere in the Americas would also give him that experience, remember he's only 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara_b)
    Football just wouldn't be the same without them. Nothing is quite as funny as a commetator tripping over their words in their effort to keep up with the ball. Some of my personal favourites...

'There's a real international flavour to this World Cup." - Jimmy Armfield, Radio 5 Live

"You need at least eight or nine men in a ten-man wall." Mark Lawrenson

"He's very quick for a man of his age. I suppose you'd call him ageless. He's 33 or 34." David Pleat

"A deflection - that's what changed the course of the ball." Jim Beglin, ITV1

"That's their tactic here - don't get beaten." Mick McCarthey, BBC1

(courtesy of Private Eye)

Post your own
    lol, although you can (just about) make out the point he was trying to make! Is it just me, or does anyone else lose the will to live upon hearing Mick McCarthy commentate? The man just sounds so miserable!

ReputationRep:
    "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it - you can see it all over their faces."
    Ron Atkinson

'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.'
    Richard Rufus

'There's no in between - you're either good or bad. We were in between.'
    Gary Lineker

'Winning doesn't really matter as long as you win.'
    Vinny Jones

'It's now 1-1, an exact reversal of the scoreline on Saturday.'
    Radio 5 live

'Never go for a 50-50 ball unless you're 80-20 sure of winning it.'
    Ian Darke

'He went through a non-existent gap.'
    Clive Tyldesley

'Stoichkov is pointing at the bench with his eyes.'
    David Pleat

'Zola's got two feet.'
    David Pleat

'Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw.'
    Ron Atkinson

'He [Cole] is good in the air as well as off the ground...'
    Metro FM commentator

'More football later, but first let's see the goals from the Scottish Cup final.' -
    Des Lynam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dismal_laundry)
    I agree that Freddy Adu needs to go to another country where football has a huge tradition- Europe, yes, but playing elswewhere in the Americas would also give him that experience, remember he's only 17.
    No, he needs to come to Europe. That's where the best players are, the best leagues are and the best coaches are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuckyMan)
    'More football later, but first let's see the goals from the Scottish Cup final.' -
    Des Lynam
    Seems pretty accurate to me

ReputationRep:
    True:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cksjohns)
    Straight after the Sweden game my initial thought was that 4-5-1 was definitely the way to go, as it suits our players best, and it appears Sven agrees.

However, after thinking about it for a while I'm struggling to see how this will work effectively. This is because both Rooney and Gerrard like to pick the ball up from relatively deep and run with it. The problem with this is that they are likely to be the two most advanced players, so either they will have nobody in front of them unless the wide players bomb on, or they will have to play with their backs to goal to hold up play rather than attack.

How does everyone else see this formation functioning. I think the way to make it work is to make sure there is always someone ahead of Rooney with Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Beckham all bombing down. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carrick replaced by Crouch at H/T and a switch to 4-4-2.

We're definitely much better than them but I am a little worried about this one!
    That's exactly my concern, and it's basically forced upon us by Sven's decision to omit Bent/Defoe from the squad. I can't see Beckham bombing forward as he usually plays deep anyway and he's lost that extra pace to make him an proper winger. Although I suppose at least with the inclusion of Carrick as a holding midfielder Gerrard will finally be able to play a more attacking free role that he should be playing.
    It's predicted to be over 30 degrees celcius so as LH says we must be patient and play a lot of possession football before attempting the killer pass.
    I can't see this formation working against a quality opposition.

ReputationRep:
    OK, there are superb teams, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Arsenal, Chelsea, (CHELSEA!!!!!), but Brazilian teams, Argentine teams (River Plate)?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.