liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Seems pretty accurate to me
    hilarious :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dismal_laundry)
    OK, there are superb teams, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Arsenal, Chelsea, (CHELSEA!!!!!), but Brazilian teams, Argentine teams (River Plate)?
    Yeah but what would be the point of him moving to South America now, he'd only get plucked 6/12 months later by a European team - DC United should be offering him about for £20 million to Chelsea especially and they'd be sorted!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see Lennon on that right wing at some point today.

ReputationRep:
    from the argentina v mexico match last night. Im not sure of the commentator.
    'it's hit the back of the net...but the wrong side'

ReputationRep:
    So you're getting it off eBay. If it's fake when you receive it you can return it and get your money back. Do you mean the logo on the bottom right?

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    depends on how it takes on with the public, if it becomes popular give it 10-15years and you will be spending millions on the sport and trouncing european arse
    Yeah, that's why Brazil are so good, because they spend so much money on grass roots football :rolleyes:

America can spend as much money as they like, they'll never be one of the top teams. Countries with a footballing tradition will always produce better players and teams than countries with large populations and spending power.

ReputationRep:
    To be an "athlete" in any sport in the US you seem to have to be over 6 foot and very muscular. Imagine if Leo Messi was American - would "coach" pick him for the soccer team? Probably not, he'd be laughed at for being a skinny short-arse. There's too much emphasis on straight forward athleticism and not enough on skill and the current national team reflects this. 23 good athletes, very little talent.

ReputationRep:
    Brian McBride is built like a brick ****house, but he's average at best. Forget Messi, I wonder if Maradona would have made it in an American academy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Brian McBride is built like a brick ****house, but he's average at best. Forget Messi, I wonder if Maradona would have made it in an American academy.
    Exactly, and forget Garrincha and his bendy legs.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, Ive just been wondering what people think this term actually means because I cant find the actual definition anywhere on the net. Some stuff I have come across includes players who dictate play tempo (Riquelme), act as holding midfielder (Makelele) or who act as the team's general instructor (Ballack for Germany and Sneijder for Holland)...

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    haha, he'd be right out the door. Still, Ade Akinbiyi would have been a Godsend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreams)
    Sorry, Ive just been wondering what people think this term actually means because I cant find the actual definition anywhere on the net. Some stuff I have come across includes players who dictate play tempo (Riquelme), act as holding midfielder (Makelele) or who act as the team's general instructor (Ballack for Germany and Sneijder for Holland)...

Any ideas?
    pretty much that, someone 'gung-ho', takes charge, shouts the orders, organises, chief motivator, enthusiast...one that can strongly influence the performances of those surrounding him/her....

i.e. gerrard for Liverpool
    terry for chelsea
    west ham's reo-coker

Just to give some examples....

ReputationRep:
    I thought Terry was a centre back? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numero sept)
    I thought Terry was a centre back? :p:
    ooops

So he is!

ReputationRep:
    i for one would like crouch to play. he is the only other striker at the tournament for england and today anyone could see that long balls up to rooney are futile. plus the fact that crouch scored recently and is a useful player. personally, i think you have to play hargreaves. carrick was reasonable but he doesn't tackle as well as owen and isn't as fast. the team i would play - if everyone is fit (that's there) -

robinson, neville (carragher), terry, ferdinand, a.cole, Lennon, hargreaves, gerrard, j.cole, rooney, crouch.

simple 4-4-2 diamond. width, pace, good players, uncrowded midfield - what more do you want??!

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard, Ballack and Essien are examples, midfield generals are usually central midfielders who can both attack and defend, they tend not to be skillful but get the job done, efficient players who are also influential.

ReputationRep:
    A central midfielder who is particularly good at controlling the tempo of a match is often referred to as a midfield general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreams)
    Ive just been wondering what people think this term actually means ...

Any ideas?
    Find out who the FA consider a "midfield general" by clicking this t-shirt:

ReputationRep:
    I saw it several weeks ago, it's awful.
    Maybe it's an omen to Newcastle's future away form? After all, they do play alot of big teams in the first half of the season. Hahaha, hope they get tanked.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say ballack is themidfield general. Dictates the tempo, controls the game etc but in a classy rather than a forcefull way. Keane and Gerrard are/were midfield warriors - again they control the team's play but with added aggression and battling. They just the grab the game and bend it to their will. Then there is a whole other category where players like Kaka, Riquelme, Deco, Fat Frank, Pirlo etc would go. Playmaker i suppose. Makalele is the best holding midielder around. Zidane deserves a category all of his own.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.