The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7800
Here is a link with the picture of the short. It looks real enough.

sarforaz
Drop Rio for Sol/Carra.. if you watched the game, pretty much all the long balls came from him!
Carrick played some nice passes and kept it to the ground :smile: good lad

Please tell me you're joking :biggrin: Campbell was as shaky as shaky gets.
Rooney did fantastically well today, especially in the second half, considering the fact he was a lone striker who's been injured for months. If he had support up there (ie Crouch), that match would have been a lot more comfortable to watch.

I agree that Lampard and Gerrard cramp eachother's style, and personally think that Lampard should be dropped for the Portugal match in favour of Crouch. He hasn't been on form lately, and after 4 matches, it's time to try out somthing else.
Reply 7803
Ooh, a lot to respond to guys!

Yeah, there are millions of kids playing soccer in the US. I'm not exactly sure why this doesn't translate into a better professional league - maybe it's because of the money (or the lack thereof)? It does not attract lots of viewers, although that's slooowly changing. It's difficult to find MLS games on tv. I was kinda hoping that the US would do well in the World Cup and people would get more interested, but that's shot to hell.

Interesting comments about size, I hadn't ever really considered that before. Now that I think about it, the coach of the men's team at my high school is tiny and people are always surprised to learn that he used be a (semi?) professional player in England.

And about the coach - Arena's gone. But an interesting rumor that I heard - Klinsmann for the US? That would be awesome. He does live in California, after all.

(Oh and Liam - no offense taken! My dad was absolutely gleeful, so I'm used to it. I'm also a girlie, but there's no offense taken there either.)
And when lawro tries to be funny and turns his microphone off, you can hear him laughing in Motty's....
Reply 7805
dede
Interesting comments about size, I hadn't ever really considered that before. Now that I think about it, the coach of the men's team at my high school is tiny and people are always surprised to learn that he used be a (semi?) professional player in England.

Out of interest, do you know his name?
dede
And about the coach - Arena's gone. But an interesting rumor that I heard - Klinsmann for the US? That would be awesome. He does live in California, after all.

If Germany win the World Cup I'm sure he'd stay at least until Euro 2008.

I'm not sure if he'd be best for the USA, you need a more experienced coach with a proven track record. A lot of Klinsmann's success is down to him empassioning already capable players and don't underestimate home advantage. Someone like Guus Hiddink would be best but he's going to Russia. Dick Advocaat would probably be available?
Reply 7806
i will always love this man!!!
jose
Surely the best one today was when Motty (eventually) mentioned Beckham being sick on the pitch. Lawrenson - "i'm surprised you brought that up" Classic.

He really pissed me off today though when Robinson went down and wasted a load of time. He described it as being "clever" and "cute". If it was an Equadorian player it would have been cheating and they'd all have got stuck in moaning about it. Blatant double standards.

Disagree - he didn't sound too impressed by Robinson and what he did. He may have described it as 'cute' and 'clever', which he did, but he never praised or celebrated him doing it, rather he sounded a bit disappointed by it all. Thus, i disagree entirely. His tone of voice was that of a "hmm, naughty boy, he shouldn't really be doing that".
Why don’t employ a group of passionate, neutral but rational footy fans that will be selected to not only punish every dive but exaggerating players.

I mean when I watch football I’m wandering what the hell are Fifa doing to make the game ‘fairer’

They don’t install big tv screens for better diving yet the UK invests every year on more speed bumps & 2-way cameras to tackle speeding.

So why can FIFA - a big football coporation just sit back? There should be opposition right?

I hate Sepp Blatter so much - he is a prime example of a ‘Fat Cat’

Countries such as Italy,Spain and maybe Portugal are well-known for exaggerating & diving so why can’t there be double standards for them?

I mean if FIFA created a new Fair Play team and focused on the these countries then the culprits will be more noticeable.

Also I didn’t mean to say ALL players from Spain/Italy/Portugal are divers etc but from my experience that’s where I’ve seen the most unfair play.

PS. FIFA are corrupt - a BBC Panorama show proved this several weeks ago.
Cindy
Want to chat about the world cup?? Keep it in the world cup thread. Too many break away threads will end up repeating what has already been said. Oh and please ease up on the polls, its like you just found the function and have to play with it. Polls are good when they have a meaning.

Remember when we didn't have a football forum? We just ahd the main thread and a coupl of breakaway ones. It was a lotstricter then.

Thoroughly agreed, Cindy.

Let's keep it nice and tidy guys.

Come on England! :tsr2:
Reply 7810
??? Got no idea what you mean. What would these passionate, neutral and rational fans actually do? Give em beats if they dive or something??????????
Well if a player dived he should be exposed globally, banned for one game and warnings to ban him from football if he persists.

Harsh I know - but this would prevent more in future ja?
Noticing some frightening similarities between Switzerland and the Greek team that won Euro 2004. Very hard to score against, very little creativity and virtually no attacking threat. But, they have the ability to grind out results. Who knows, maybe they could go all the way...

Now I've said that, Shevchenko will probably pop up and score in the last minute or something. :redface:
I see where your coming from, but no lol, they won't get past 1/4s if they do manage to beat ukraine, and that game aint far from penaltys, so that will be interesting
scottnoplot
I see where your coming from, but no lol, they won't get past 1/4s if they do manage to beat ukraine, and that game aint far from panaltys, so that will be interesting

Hmm, every game Greece played in Euro 2004, hardly anyone gave them a chance of winning. Even when they got to the final, people were still saying that they didn't have a hope.

My dad would be happy if the Swiss were to win. He drew them in his office's sweepstake, and stands to win about £150 if they win.
Reply 7815
no way, switzerland are on their way out soon
well we'll see who wins this game 1st, got to say though, it has probably been the most boring game i've seen so far
scottnoplot
I see where your coming from, but no lol, they won't get past 1/4s if they do manage to beat ukraine, and that game aint far from penaltys, so that will be interesting

God, imagine an Italy vs Switzerland quarter final :sleep: Needless to say I'll be tuning into the World Paintdrying Championships that night!
jeff's_dead
Hmm, every game Greece played in Euro 2004, hardly anyone gave them a chance of winning. Even when they got to the final, people were still saying that they didn't have a hope.

My dad would be happy if the Swiss were to witann. He drew them in his office's sweepstake, and stands to win about £150 if they win.

Stranger things have happened :wink:
peasant
no way, switzerland are on their way out soon

Don't be so sure. :cool:

On the way to winning Euro 2004, Greece beat Portugal (twice), drew with Spain and beat France & Czech Republic. They only lost one game.

You could say Switzerland are in a better position than Greece were; after all, they have not conceded a goal so far, and probably have a better team than Greece.

Penalties now... we'll soon find out for sure if I'm a total idiot. :biggrin:

Latest