Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Why would Torres want to go to Manchester for? Great if we get him but I don't think we will.
    He supports Man UTD!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    Fernando Torres is virtually a done deal to Man Utd. FACT.
    Are there any concrete sources proving this (as opposed to heresay)?

ReputationRep:
    Im not a big fan of United, but i just want a team to do something so they can compete with Chelsea and make the prem more exiting, and with Torres, Ribery and Carrick they will deffinaterly be able to have a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justfarhan)
    Altius Tendo?! I thought it would've been the more sexy, intelligent and sophisticated Rosalyn.
    Haha. That definitely wasn't me! I think he means Rosalyn.

Anyway, proud of Ghana nonetheless though a tad disappointed. I felt they could have had a real chance to win this match. Anyway, bring on South Africa 2010!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forkwise)
    That would be great news I'm not a Man U fan but I'd love to see him in the Premiership (not Chelsea though :p:)
    But Roman's living subbuteo is not complete yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    But Roman's living subbuteo is not complete yet...

a few years ago real madrid where being described as a, "bunch of circus clowns" quite a good metahpor i think....!

i just wonder if Roman is creating a similar type of thing at Chelsea, and maybe has gone too far, perhaps creating a team of individuals instead of a team....and we all know that individuals do not win team games !

ReputationRep:
    When I hear midfield general the first name that comes to mind is the Italian AC Milan Dinamo, Gattusso. The tenacity and intensity in his game is awe-inspiring. Not the most interesting players to watch though... but he will win the midfield battle for you... 9 times out of 10.

All the same, Makelele is in a midfield class of his own in the holding role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuckyMan)
    Wot slow, old, past it French farts
    hmmm :rolleyes:

Midfield general = box-to-box midfielder + captain material (technical ability is a pre-requisite).

e.g Van Bommel, Gerrard, Ballack, Vieira, other lesser knowns.

ReputationRep:
    My GOD will someone please tell him he can't commentate because he's bloody awful!

Anyone's better than him, seriously he really really gets on my nerves with his completely pointless nonsensical rubbish.

On the other side I think Gareth Southgate's been surprisingly good !

Just a random one!

ReputationRep:
    Dietmar Hamann. The main reason why we won the Champions League and FA Cup. Changed the whole game when he came on, though you'd need Stevie G to produce some magic. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he's driving me mad too. Irritating presence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cb.Incus)
    Yeah, he's driving me mad too. Irritating presence.
    I don't think he even realises what he's saying half the time, he's bloody awful!

ReputationRep:
    no no no. The BEST example of a midfield general would be Roy Keane. Viera would be another good example.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like Mick McCarthy. In a strange way, he talks sense.

The poor guy has had to comment on some of the dullest games in the tournament so far (I think he's had all the 0-0 draws). So maybe he can be excused for talking rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethy)
    On the other side I think Gareth Southgate's been surprisingly good !
    I remember seeing the England vs Trinidad match with him commentating, he said "The players will be fatigued due to the pressure of the match" - What a boob. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zlatan)
    I remember seeing the England vs Trinidad match with him commentating, he said "The players will be fatigued due to the pressure of the match" - What a boob. :rolleyes:
    Not as bad as John Motson frequently referring to the Czech Republic as Czechoslovakia.

Anyone who still makes that mistake should be given a knee to the groinal region.

:bike:

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho's a strong manager, though. He's not the type to let individuals take over and at Chelsea players know that if they fall out with the manager it's their loss, as there's gonna be plenty of adequate cover. Compare that to Real, where the managers have seemed like puppets at times, with the players and that loco hombre Perez seeming to run things.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing in developing players in the US is some funny draft/college system, I don't have much of a clue about it but its vastly different to the way things work in many other countries, the temptation to go into something with a lot more money and fame like american football or basketball must be too great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dede)
    And about the coach - Arena's gone. But an interesting rumor that I heard - Klinsmann for the US? That would be awesome. He does live in California, after all.
    Yeah I heard that rumour as well. It makes sense, and I think he'd do a great job for you.

Although I think a lot depends on how far he takes Germany in this World Cup. If he gets them to the final or wins the competition, he will become a god in Germany and there's no way he'd be able to walk away.

However, if they go out in the Quarter Finals, I think there would be a massive sense of underachievement (considering how promising their performances have been so far) and he may well find himself jobless.

We'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Mick McCarthy is meant to be like the 'expert' speaker to complement the proper commentator and he's just utter garbage!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.