Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I just think that its rather unfair that a team can get eliminated by penalties. Would it not be better if it changed to a sudden death situation, whereby the first team to score after the initial 90 minutes, and added ET wins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    I feel sorry for him like I would feel sorry for the England team if they made a mistake. If England make a mistake against portugal, they go home. If Poll makes one, he goes home.

Feel sorry for Poll underneath though. Every referees ambition to ref the world cup final, and he was so close.
    He wouldn't have got the final. It wasn't very good in his first game either. I do feel sorry for him though. None of us know how difficult it is to ref at the world cup, and that game in particular. It doesn't help that they have to implement all these knew interpretations of the laws too. Must be a bugger of a job.

I guess the Aus players didn't realise either, and it's not up to the linesmen to keep track of bookings so it is ultimately all down to Poll and no-one else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19841984)
    I just think that its rather unfair that a team can get eliminated by penalties. Would it not be better if it changed to a sudden death situation, whereby the first team to score after the initial 90 minutes, and added ET wins?
    That could go on endlessly. Once the players are tired, the standard of football suffers. They could end up playing indefinitely, and it'd be rubbish to watch.
    No, keep penalties. If the two teams prove that they're roughly equal over the 90 mins and extra time, then it's gonna take something like penalties, where the slightest mistake can make the difference, to resolve it

ReputationRep:
    There has to be penalties in games or some would go forever. Take the Ukraine v Switzerland match, for example. A goal never looked like coming as both teams were defending from the start. It would have been a mental endurance test to see which team would last the longest without scoring an own goal to get some rest lol but you get the idea

ReputationRep:
    This bloke has stolen that picture from yahoo attachmenrts, uploaded it on imageshack and is now trying to pass it off as his own image. What a joker.

ReputationRep:
    As referees go Poll wasn't a bad referee but he just wasn't very good either, certainly not good enough to referee the World Cup final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zlatan)
    This bloke has stolen that picture from yahoo attachmenrts, uploaded it on imageshack and is now trying to pass it off as his own image. What a joker.
    I got it from another forum, and I don't recall saying or implying it's mine.

You joker.

ReputationRep:
    Blackburn having to sack Souness: - 1.8 million
    Newcastle United giving Blackburn compensation for taking Souness: + 1.8 Million
    The players Souness brought into Newcastle: £50 Million

Seeing Souness **** up Newcastle United.... Priceless

I also enjoy watching Newcastle fans on Match of the day, It's not everyday you get to see fifty thousand fat, ginger, skin heads, all dressed up as bar codes.

ReputationRep:
    If its a draw after 90 minutes they should take a man off each side - starting with the goalies and for each 10 minutes that there isn't a goal take another man off.

Or alternatively take everybody off apart from the goalies and have a game of long shootie.

ReputationRep:
    So players can fall to the floor?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon they should just fight it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYE)
    I reckon they should just fight it out
    Like Germany and Argentina today

ReputationRep:
    if there is no winner after 90 minutes, they can give it to the team with the least fools, or perhaps the greatest possession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bergen)
    if there is no winner after 90 minutes, they can give it to the team with the least fools, or perhaps the greatest possession.
    how very boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bergen)
    what a hilarious typo. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil-Tuna)
    what a hilarious typo. :rofl:
    Yep, that'd be England screwed :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Yep, that'd be England screwed :p:
    Not to mention Italy.

sorry, i had to mention them. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's brutal and harsh but it's necessary, because as much as penalties rely mostly on luck, they do involve a significant amount of skill, especially on the part of the goalkeeper as demonstrated by Lehmann in the match yesterday. He played a superb game. They also provide some entertainment and adrenaline-rushing for fans, who would otherwise groan and moan at a match being settled just by a statistic like possession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19841984)
    Isn't that what happens? They are given a chance but if none can score the only way to end the game is penalties.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit I hate penalties and think its a cruel way to decide the winner. However playing until someone scores is also bad, players get tired and injuries could occur.

So if I had to vote on it I would say keep penalties and teams must practise more on them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.